Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick Guinea Pig Help

pliko

Cavy Slave
Hello,

My guinea pig is sick and I would like some help as it's tough to find vets on this day. He's got diharrea, he doesn't eat or drink water and he's very quiet.
The only treats I've given him so far was carrots and it wasn't very often. He eats regular package food (don't know the exact word for it as I'm not english) and alfafa hay. Someone told me to switch to timothy hay as alfafa has too much calcium. Please take your time to read this post and give your 2 cents about this, I would really appreciate.

Best Regards,
Pliko

guineapigluver1

Cavy Slave
Yes, your pig needs a grass hay (timothy being the most common but others are, bermuda, brome, bluegrass, orchard, and sweet meadow) available 24/7 (which means he needs access to hay at all times). As for the diarrhea, as soon as is possible you need to get the pig to the vet (broken link removed) helps treat diarrhea, but no the problem, so he needs to see a cavy vet.
Read Guinea Lynx. It's the best website in regards to medical reference.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Do not use over the counter medications like the one linked above for guinea pigs. They can often be dangerous. The one above is labeled for dogs.

If your pig is not eating then you need to handfeed using either a pellet mash or critical care mixed with plain pedialyte and then get your pig into a cavy savvy vet as soon as possible.

Are you feeding plain pellets (the packaged food) or is it a mix of stuff?

guineapigluver1

Cavy Slave
Do not use over the counter medications like the one linked above for guinea pigs. They can often be dangerous. The one above is labeled for dogs.

If your pig is not eating then you need to handfeed using either a pellet mash or critical care mixed with plain pedialyte and then get your pig into a cavy savvy vet as soon as possible.

Are you feeding plain pellets (the packaged food) or is it a mix of stuff?

Whoa. Really? I didn't know that. I got that off of Guinea Lynx...

salana

Lethal Guru
Cavy Slave
Pet Pectillin can help some guinea pigs with some causes of diarrhea. But you need to see a vet to determine what is causing it. If he ate too many carrots and has an upset stomach, the Pet Pectillin will probably help. If he has parasites, or an overgrowth of bad bacteria, it will not help and may hurt.

Whatever the cause, you need to handfeed.

Guinea Lynx :: Hand Feeding

Clay's Pooka

Cavy Slave
How do you hand feed? I can't imagine how one would do this.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.