Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Other chins and cavy's

Sparky

Cavy Slave
i have a 9-10 square foot c&c cage with 2 male cavy's in it, i wanted to get a chinchilla also, but would the animals get along, and what modifications would the cage need?

thanks

dagwellismypigy

Cavy Slave
dont mix species EVER its a bad idea. they have diffrent needs and wants from eachother.

Treen

Cavy Slave
Agreed. They need completely different environments and diets, and on a social level both need interaction with their own kind. Different species don't understand each other as well which can lead to conflict (and I have heard of chins injuring guinea pigs just during floor time, never mind when they're enclosed together).

bunnyluv17

Cavy Slave
I once saw on a website that someone kept his chins and pigs together in a room. He made a lot of shelves and upper levels for the chins and the floor of the room was the guinea pigs free range area. He said he didn't have any problems since the chins always stayed in the upper levels, but if the chins became territorial or aggresive they could seriously harm the pigs. This guy had an entire room for the animals, but it is not a good idea even with lots of space.

Sparky

Cavy Slave
thanks everyone

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.