Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Almost all done with my C&C cage! Few questions though..

spoonyspork

Cavy Slave
After finding this site, I decided to ditch the dresser-cage I made out of desperation to get my two out of their teeny store-bought cage (one of them died VERY suddenly just before the bigger cage was finished though *sniffles*) and build a C&C one. I went with a 2x3 as I couldn't get larger pieces of coroplast in my car. It is freakin HUGE in comparison with even the dresser-cage. I'm glad I couldn't build bigger, 'cause it already takes up the only extra room I have in my apartment - my entire dining area!

Anywho, since I can't build out, I built up, and I'm a bit nervous as far as structure vs. cleanability goes. The 2nd floor, which is also 2x3, is simply stacked on top of the lower level, with nothing holding it on. Before I added the 2nd level, I just lifted the cage off the coroplast and swept everything into a bag, sprayed with vinegar, re-lined with crittercare, and stuck the cage back up. My plan was to continue doing the same thing, except now the 2nd floor has carpeting, so I could also lift off the second level and just put the carpet on the ground to clean with the wet/dry vac, and keep the piggy/ies in the lower level while it dries. The problem is, I have a small child and a cat, so I'm afraid of one of them knocking the top level off, but if I want to be able to clean the carpeting I can't connect the two levels. Has anyone else had to deal with this type of issue? What did you do?

Also, as far as actually getting into the cage to feed & spot-clean, what have you done as far as doors? When it was only one level, I covered the hole where the ramp would eventually go with a cube panel and zip-tied it on one side only so it swung open and shut like a door, and it worked perfectly. Now it's impossible to get to the bottom level without first removing the 2nd (and eventually 3rd) floors. I've been feeding him regular guineapig food on the bottom and fruits, veggies, and hay on the 2nd. How has that worked for anyone else? Have you resorted to just play area for the first floor and only food on the 2nd floor? When I add the 3rd floor (which will be the old petstore cage, so would only be about the size of a 1x1 with the hole for the ramp), I'm thinking of making it just a hay loft. It'll be small enough that I won't have the issues between the 2nd and 3rd levels like I am between the 1st and 2nd.

Sorry for the long post, and thanks for any advice!

AngelsCavies

Cavy Slave
I would zip tie the back part of the 2nd level. Zip tie every square hole so that it is secured and use a conector on the front corner of the 2nd level. That way it cant fall off but yu can lift it like a door.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
There are pictures in the gallery on how to roll a sheet of coroplast.

I use my loft as a feeding zone and the main level is for sleeping, playing and running laps.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.