Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Watter Bottle or water Bowl ???

Miss.Kiada

Cavy Slave
Re: Should I put Vitamin C drops in Water or can I put Tang in the water?

hey i just had a quick question. I just adopted a piggy she's 2 years old and she drinks out of a water bottle, her bottle however is very loud and wakes me up every night. would it be a good idea to try and switch her to a water bowl or keep her on the bottle? thanks

Miss.Kiada

Cavy Slave
i just adopted a piggy a few weeks ago and her watter bottle is very loud it wakes me up every time she gets a drink at night. i went out yesterday and got her a spring loaded one (since her old one wasn't) but its still quite loud so i think its just the way she drinks. I cant put her anywhere else in my house besides my room since we have a dog but i was wondering if i should try switching her to a water bowl instead? Or should i keep her on the bottle and try to get used to it?

Haley0489

Cavy Slave
Water bowls aren't recommended for piggies since they can get very dirty even with water changes every day. Also, the way a pigs mouth and nose are designed they often times inhale water from a bowl when trying to drink. It's best to just stick with a water bottle.

Mine drank very loudly when I first got them, not sure why, but they aren't as loud nowadays.

Miss.Kiada

Cavy Slave
alright cool thanks. She's 2 years old so I'm sure she's drank out of the bottle her whole life but i wasn't sure. I'm sure I'll get used to it in due time :)

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Re: Water Bottle Question

I moved your question because it had absolutely nothing to do with the thread you posted it on.

You need to keep the bottle. Bowls can be tipped over or filled with bedding and then there is nothing for the pig to drink.

sophistacavy

Cavy Slave
Yeah, you'll most likely get used to it. Some guinea pigs like playing with their water bottles. They kinda look like they're drinking, but I think they're actually sticking the tube in their mouth and sucking water out and expelling it back up into the bottle, w/o drinking any. Kinda easily amused little critters xD

I tried giving mine a bowl of water one day just to see what they'd do with it, and they didn't really pay much attention to it. One put her feet in there, and then all three decided to play Jack jump over the water bowl while chasing each other in euphoria because something new and I guess of no use to them was in there ^_^ When they almost spilled it on the fleece and nearly gave me a coronary, I decided that they can just play with their bottles.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.