Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bending grids is so frustrating!

guineapigluver1

Cavy Slave
I managed to snap three grids (only one side of them, and I fixed them so they are usable now), trying to make a ramp. I read how to do it and I was doing it right, but yet still I snapped three. A few days ago I tried again and I bent one enough to use as a "couch" if I attach it to the side with zip ties and put some form of padding around it and then use fleece over that. The last resort will be begging my dad to help me make one with plywood.
And what do you put in the bottom of the grids once you have the ramp, so it's padded as well as has good traction, and will stay put?

sammy_kaye

Cavy Slave
I lined the grids with coroplast then cover it with a towel or bit of fleece. When bending the grids make sure the seam that joins the outside edge of the grid together isn't on the sides that you are wanting to bend. If you tru and bend that edge it will snap at that point. You can find it by looking for a small ridge or dent that runs the diameter of the wire.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
You have to bend them against the seam or they will break.

guineapigluver1

Cavy Slave
I was bending it against the seam.

BubuCandyBlue

Cavy Slave
I upgrade my cage 3x, and only the last time I managed to snap 3 grids. And I think it is due to poor quality, they seem lees stable then the other ones.

Deenanicole08

Cavy Slave
I snapped them too, I found if you do it alot slower, and kind of move a tiny bit, so it's not bending in exactly the same spot, it seems to help it from snaping by taking all the pressure off of the same spot.

BubuCandyBlue

Cavy Slave
Hmm, interesting, but I wasn't doing anything else then I did before, with the other grids, when I upgraded before. As I said, the other ones seemed more thick then the last ones. And yes, I did it pretty slow, I don't have so much power, I am a woman, and I can not let my computer hands husband do it :)).

guineapigluver1

Cavy Slave
But I got my grids in January. I'll try bending them slowly, and doing it like you said and see if that works.

internetjunkey

Cavy Slave
I had to reply to this one. I Love making a cage as much as the next person. But if you think abut it these grids were not really meant to be bent, but to be stacked. Sometimes you're trying to make one object do something it's not made for. Just take your time, I know I found this an irritation when I was making them. Just a little work and time should get them to bend. I always did it in three intervals. One tug...stand up...Two Tug...Stand UP and Three tug. It was easier on my back this way too. I found fighting with a grid to move a little irritating and tire-sum on my back.

Any who Good luck bending!!

Deenanicole08

Cavy Slave
I am a woman too, so I understand about the whole power thing. I'm pretty small too. Ha. But I had to do it in shifts too. It kills your back. My boyfriend did it and snapped one right away, mister tough guy. He just started bending it with his hands with everything he had, and snap. I read you had to stand on it on one side (with shoes on) so I was angry he didn't do it my way lol, then I did it and snapped one. I takes practice I guess.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.