Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

6mm coroplast -has anyone used this ?

Jemima

Cavy Slave
Hi, I can only seem to find 6mm coroplast and was wondering if anyone has experience of this ? It seems really stiff and thick and I don't want to cut into it if it just won't work. I could probably take it back and get a refund.

Does it score and bend OK ?

Any advice would be appreciated as we are planning on picking up the piggies on Monday. Have built the grids and now need to do the coroplast so everything is ready for them.

Thanks.

Slave to the Wheek

Cavy Slave
Mine is really thick too, but don't know what the mm is on it. It's lasted forever and has been reused several times for different cages. Mine doesn't bend unless you really push down on it, but it's not brittle which makes it easy to work with.

My guess is that if it's brittle and snappy so that it would actually break apart if you bend it then it would be hard to work with. Otherwise it's worth checking it out. Heck, when I reused a large piece in a smaller cage a few weeks ago, I didn't even have to score it lengthwise. The ends were already scored to the sides so I folded those up and then pushed the coroplast into the cage. I pushed down really hard and it just bent into the longwise sides of a 2x4 (it had been used in a 4x3 before) once I had it bent into the bottom I was able to lift it up and just cut it with my eyeball.

Wish I'd taken pics. I was shocked at how durable the coroplast was.

guineapigluver1

Cavy Slave
I want to add a question to this. If you have an option between 2mm and 4mm coroplast which is better to get?

Jemima

Cavy Slave
I don't think there is any chance of this bending if you just push it ! It is really stiff. We have got 3mm for the upper deck which is easy to fold without even scoring but for our 4 x 2 bottom deck they only had a sheet big enough in the 6mm. It cost rather a lot of money so I am a bit reluctant to give it a go if it just wont work....
Was thinking that maybe if I scored it and then heated up along the score with a hairdryer then it would soften it enough to bend rather than snap.
I'm getting so excited about the whole thing and am now a bit annoyed that I have this set-back.
Ah well....maybe I will sleep on it (not the coroplast !) and give it a go in the morning.

Jemima

Cavy Slave
I want to add a question to this. If you have an option between 2mm and 4mm coroplast which is better to get?

Having 3mm and 6mm here with me I would say that the 2mm would be too flimsy. The 3mm is OK but I am just going to use it on the top deck as it is such a small area. On a big area I would prefer to use the 4mm (if only I could find some !), but am hoping that my 6mm will work out OK.

guineapigluver1

Cavy Slave
There is a sign shop that has both 2mm and 4mm. I'll probably get the 4mm.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.