Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay Couple of important questions

ZiggyMama

Cavy Slave
I have a small dilemma. Ziggy seems to want to eat the baby's hay and pellets instead of his own. He has never had kidney stones and as far as I know he isn't prone to them. Is there actually a way I can get him to not eat the alfalfa stuff? Also, where does everyone get their alfalfa pellets from? I can't seem to find them. I was given a good amount from the rescue for now but need to buy more. Lastly, I have read a little bit about forages. How often should they have those and what types? I have looked over the info Ly had put together but need some clarification. Thanks so much in advance!

Deenanicole08

Cavy Slave
I had this probablem too. I have a 1 year old, and a 2 month old. So their dietary needs are slightly different. Ly gave me a couple of options. She said you can give both Timothy pellets, and regular grass hay, and supplement the calcuim with veggies high in calcium during lap time. Or she suggested mixing timothy pellets with alfalfa pellets half and half and give regular grass hay. Also I order my pellets and hay from Kleenmama's Hayloft. My pigs love it and I'm very happy with the quality.

starshine123102

Cavy Slave
You don't need to feed your baby alfalfa pellets. If you supplement their calcium in through veggies the will be fine. Look through the veggie chart and do a forum search to see what others do for their babies.

Just make sure that if you do use alfalfa pellets they are high quality. Oxbow (cavy performance), Kleenmamas, Mazurri (I believe these are all alfalfa but not sure), and Sweet Meadow.

Good luck with your baby!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.