PDA

View Full Version : Hi. I'm new here, and will be getting our first cavy soon

mom929
12-08-08, 10:22 am
Hello,

I'm Wendy, mom to Noah (9) and Nate (13) and cats Jake, Elwood and Boo, as well as dog, Brandy. All our rescues from the animal shelter where my oldest son volunteers.

My younger son is dying for a guinea pig of his own, after having a chance to help care for the one at his school. I had guinea pigs a million years ago as a kid/teen but not since. So we've promised him one for the holidays and just had our application to adopt approved. He'll get the C&C cage as his gift, then we'll pick up our piggie after the holiday craziness. So I'm reading and learning, because an awful lot has changed since I kept my cavies as a kid, in an old aquarium with newspaper bedding :)

We've placed an order for a C&C cage and are trying to decide on type of bedding. I know not to use cedar and just saw the cost of Carefresh at the pet store :eek: . I'm thinking of trying fleece and I read the forum here about it. Sounds like some real pros and cons. Also pros and cons about underbedding.

I look forward to meeting you all and learning from you. Would love to hear some success stories about piggies with kids and other pets. And tips on keeping a clean, healthy cage and a healthy piggie.

Thanks,
Wendy

hueyeats
12-08-08, 10:42 am
Hi & welcome to GPC!

It is great that you are rescuing piggies & have fun on this site! Its a wealth of info & can probably inspire many great ideas for your children & piggies alike.

I found my fleece for only $3.99 from Walmart for a 50" X 70" roll. I own 5 rolls now... just love them. They are very standard colored fleece but the nice thing is that they are quite inexpensive & a great bedding for the piggies.

Enjoy your piggies & this site & have a wonderful holiday to you & yours!

breezy2
12-08-08, 11:28 am
Hello. I hope your son loves his piggy as much as myself and my daughter love her now 4 piggies. She got one as a reward of sorts in June. The one was pregnant, which we didn't know, and had two baby boys. Obviously the boys had to be seperated from her, so we had 1 cage with the boys and 1 with the mom. Poor Tess seemed so lonely, so we just adopted her a friend a week ago, so we are up to 4 from June until now. Yikes, they are addictive.

They are a load of work but well worth it. We use fleece bedding. It is definately the cheapest and I do not find it to be much of a hassle. I sweep their pens with a handvac usually twice a day, but it doesn't take long. Then I do complete clean of the boys on Thursdays and the girls on Mondays. That takes me about an hour or a little more.

They are so much fun to watch and cuddle with. They each have such individual personalities. I know you are planning to adopt one, but if it is at all possible, I would get two. I really didn't think it was necessary at first, but my Tess really was so lonely when I seperated her from the boys. I can't wait to introduce her to Ella our newest arrival after quarantine. :)

mom929
12-08-08, 12:04 pm
Thanks for the welcome and the info. The piggie that my son picked from the rescue is specifically meant to be a solo, as he is gentle with people, but fights with other GPs. So we'll be a one cavy family, which is ok with me and will hopefully make his bond even more special with my son.

I'm going to go out to check Walmart and Joanne Fabrics for fleece this week. What do you use as underbedding to soak up the pee?

guineapigluver1
12-08-08, 12:23 pm
Read this (http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/bedding/21568-fleece-project-study.html) thread about fleece bedding.

hueyeats
12-08-08, 01:44 pm
I have tried a number of things... from underpads (I buy them 36" X 30" the XL adult ones), to showerliners, to flattened cardboards and newspapers.

I do have kichen areas where my piggies love to go in... those have beddings (hay, yesterday's news, ecobedding... I always have hay in there even if I switch to try out new stuff).

doodle_bug414
12-10-08, 12:41 pm
Hi and Welcome! I use kiln dried pine and sometimes under it to soak up some of the pee I put down unsented puppy pads (the kind you use to potty train a dog). I havent had any issues with them trying to rip them up or anything like that. I tend to layer, so ill do the puppy pad with two layers of news paper, then the dried pine on top they seem to really enjoy it. Then when its time to clean all I have to do is wrap up the puppy pad and everything on top comes with it. Walmart is a great place to get the pine they have one that is called pets pick and its about 5 dollars for a 15lbs bag (not sure if all Walmarts carry it), they also sell the puppy pads. Hope that helps :)

starshine123102
12-10-08, 04:34 pm
Welcome to GPC!

I also have only one piggie at the moment. I find that one layer of towel and one layer of fleece works for me. I change it once a week. I suggest getting a white or light colored towel so that you can easily tell if she has bloody urine.

Good luck with the piggie when you get it home!