Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hm. Stuck on cages.

internetjunkey

Cavy Slave
I had ordered my correx, and I am anxiously awaiting arrival. But the thing is, I am stuck on cage plans. I Ran out of Connectors a LONG time ago. So I stopped using them all together and was using Cable ties. I Love them, They are so durable. The only issue I have is that I find it sagging in the middle of the cage, I had the same problem with this when I had the 2nd floor on my cage, and I know if I didn't feel it was safe, the piggies surely didn't either. I am Planning on constructing a 4 x 3 x 2 Three levels high. Actually it's been pictured in Ebay. She's a seller. Well I have enough grids. But Like I said, I can't really help the sag it's got just using cable ties. And I have tried using PVC piping and I really didn't like having to clean around it. With this cage I plan on going 100 % fleece and Towels And I want to make Cleaning simple. I don't have much money to work with but any suggestions in Preventing the sag would be awesome!!

And Also I didn't want to make a new thread on this one either. But I also wanted to know if there are any easy ways of cleaning a cage that is larger. Right now I don't have a large cage and I have been keeping it rather clean Until I upgrade. But when I upgrade I've been told it's easier to clean a larger cage. but I have found that I like keeping the mess contained. With an even larger cage, I think I'll spend more time trying to find the little messes.

Which do you prefer...Lighter or Darker Fleece and Towels. I have both, and haven't found anything that works for me. I don't like the lighter colors because you can see EVERYTHING and with the Darker colors the fur is very noticeable. Just some opinions on that would be helpful!!

Sorry for the long thread, I just want to make sure I'm doing everything right for the safety of my two wonderful boys!!! Thanks!

Caviekisses

Cavy Slave
Well, I don't have my boys yet but... I've thought about which shade would be best too. I've gotten a bunch of fabric so far... A mixture of patterns some bright, some dark, and pastel. I guess I won't know until I get the little fellows and find out.

I've found out through cleaning my ratties' cages that the Vinegar wipe down is so much easier.

I saw a cage where the person had taken 1" x 1" (??) strips of wood, cut them the length of the area that needed support and zip tied it under the area that sagged. I'll try to find the picture because it would be a lot easier than me trying to explain it... lol

gooberific

Cavy Slave
I like using funky looking fleece: plaid, flames, pirate-theme, animal prints... that way it has different spots of dark and light to be able to see stuff. Underneath, I use old comforters and towels, and I use both dark and light colors so that I can tell what kind of pee my boys are having. Light towels help you see if there's any blood, and dark colors let you see if there's any calcium problems.

My plans for larger cages included the 1x1 support wood crossing the cage.

Since all 3 boys don't get along together, I have Mogwai "upstairs" in a 2x3. The base is 3x4 (with a 1x2 hay area filled with carefresh). Because of the bottom of the 2x3 being fully attached with connectors and zip ties, as well as having a full perimeter of grids, it doesn't sag at all. Before I had it all together, it sagged, so there's something to be said about the structural integrety there!

I have to say that aside from having to spot clean a larger area, I don't HAVE to swap their fleece bedding as often as I did for the two boys when they were in a 2x4. With the hay area and the litter box they have, their underbedding doesn't get soaked much at all. I can go a week and a half before changing them, and it's just not bad at all. They naturally do most of their messes where they eat, so it's mostly in the litter boxes/hay areas that I have carefresh in. When I am strapped for cash and out of carefresh, I use fleece remnants over a towel and change it every other day at most.

Mogwai mostly uses his litter box now, so he only gets fresh fleece about once a week... it was more frequently before I found him a new water bottle that works well for us!

sammy_kaye

Cavy Slave
I would thread a bit of wood or pvc piping through horizontaly just below the upper levels to give it a little more support. That way it won't get in the way of cleaning. Hope this helps.

internetjunkey

Cavy Slave
ha ha, you would all be amazed. I actually found a way to make it where the cage doesn't sag. I over lapped the cubes. Usually just one row of squares, well...for the top level i did that, but the bottom level didn't need it. but i would recommend that everyone tried it. It really does make things really sturdy but very heavy. I will have new pics up of the new Digs here in a bit, I need new batteries!

Thanks for the bedding ideas, I really needed them.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.