Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hi, I'm new.

Alexa

Cavy Slave
Well, hello everyone!

I'm new to this site and very grateful that I happened upon it tonight. And while I've always been enamored by the cute critters and have even had guinea pigs all throughout my childhood and adolescence, I have been without them for many years now. Well, I was without them. But that's all changed now! And, really, I couldn't be happier!

I am an all around animal lover. And that's pretty much what got me into this "mess." But that's okay -- he he! Anywho, I had to take one of my kittens to the vet this morning due to the fact that she was showing some mild signs of an upper respiratory infection. And when I got to the vet's office I noticed that they had a sign for free guinea pigs in their waiting room. Initially I wasn't in the market for any pets, let alone guinea pigs, but they just looked so...sad. And despite them being at a vet's office, they were not being kept in the best of conditions. They were in a small pet store cage, had cedar chips as bedding, were being fed a low-quality pelleted feed, and had no hay. And even though it was a decision made on the fly, I decided to bring them home with me right then and there. So, I guess that makes me a guinea pig owner again. And, believe it or not, I'm really very happy and excited about that!

My new piggies have yet to be named, but they've already started being spoiled rotten! They are (I believe) a blue-eyed white English Crested female that is approximately 6-months old and a neutered 8-month old American male that is a broken white and cream. They are both extremely skittish but appear to be in good health and I did have the vet check them over before bringing them home. This weekend I'll be buying all of the materials to make their C&C cage and I am hoping to have it done by next week. For now, though, they are in their smaller cage, but it's been decked out with a hideout and a cuddle cup along with a nice-sized hay bin, fresh food, and clean water. So they're at least going to be as comfortable as possible until their new digs are up and ready.

As for me, I'm a 25-year old named Alexa. And I live in Ohio with my roommate and houseful of furry loved ones. But, trust me, nothing I say about myself is that interesting -- what's really interesting are my animals. And, through me, you'll get to meet and fall in love with every single one of them...just as I did. And then you'll know what makes Alexa tick.

But for now all that doesn't matter. I'm just here to intro myself and my new guinea pigs. So...here we are! And I can't wait to get to know you all, and your furry ones, too!

And, yes, name suggestions are welcome. 'Cause I don't think they want to be named piggie #1 and piggie #2 forever. Ha ha!

pennykit&amanda

Cavy Slave
Welcome to GPC.

Hope you love it here as much as we do... it's very addicting. Your new cavies sound adorable, pics are a must!

starshine123102

Cavy Slave
Welcome to GPC! I'm so glad to hear you rescued some piggies! Good luck with them. If I was any good at names I would give some suggestions, but might I suggest putting up a piture or two so we can get an idea of what they look like for name ideas?

dra&pigs

Cavy Slave
Welcome to GPC! I'd love some pigtures..your piggies sound adorable. :)

3AMAutumnal

Cavy Slave
Good for you for taking them in. They will bring you joy, I'm sure!
Were they in the cage together at the vet's office or separated? I'm asking since you have a male and a female. If they were or are now together, be prepared for babies. Do you have them separated now?

Alexa

Cavy Slave
Thank you all for the warm welcome!

My piggies and I are getting on well. I've yet to name them, but we are all getting acclimated to one another and I have already managed to fall head-over-heels in love with them.

I haven't had an opportunity to take pictures of this as of yet since I didn't want to traumatize them more than necessary. We're just beginning the process of bonding to one another and I feelt like it would be best for me to wait until they are more comfortable with me and their surroundings before our first "photo shoot." But, rest assured, pictures will be forthcoming and they'll be well worth the wait since my piggies are adorable, precious, and loads of spunky fun!

The two pigs are together as that is how they came to me. And, yes, they are a male-female pair. But the male was neutered prior to being surrendered (and that has been confirmed by the vet). And since he came from a shelter originally he was neutered well before being introduced to the female. But, nonetheless, thank you for the concern. I'm relieved that there are no babies on the horizon as I am all too familiar with the risks and issues associated with breeding. Instead they will both live the life of spoiled pets -- they're loving it so far and, honestly, I am too!

I'll post pictures in the coming days. I'm planning on picking up the materials for their C&C cage tomorrow so hopefully I'll be able to snap some photos of their new digs as well. But, until then you'll have to trust me that they are as adorable as I've made them out to be!

Thanks again for the welcome. You'll be seeing me and my fur-kids around for sure!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.