Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Planning on ordering hay.. Which type to chose?

endzie

Cavy Slave
Was going to start ordering my hay online and was wondering what Hay should I go with.

I think the website I was going to start ordering from is Kleenmama's Hayloft at (broken link removed)

Should go with a Bluegrass type of hay, or just a straight timothy.

Btw: I have a 2 Year old boar, and a 3-4 month old boar.

Himino

Cavy Slave
I'd say Timothy.

RubyPiggie2

Cavy Slave
You could use both, I think many say they prefer bluegrass because it's much softer- not too sure. They both are good though.

John4216

Cavy Slave
I'd order the 1/2 bluegrass 1/2 timothy as both are fine for the piggies and I know mine popcorn and go bonkers for the grassier hay types like orchard, red clover etc.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Kleenmama has the most incredible bluegrass imaginable. My piggies prefer that over anything. I have tried them with Timothy hay (not kleenmama's but kay-tee) just to see if they would eat it before I ordered it and because they live mainly on bermuda grass hay which they also love. They will eat the timothy but I have seen them dig under it to get to the bermuda grass hay.

I will be ordering bluegrass from KM because she has the BEST hay in the world!!! It's better than oxbow. I guess it all depends on what your piggies like too, if they love timothy you can ask KM for a sample of bluegrass to see if your pigs like it or vice versa.

liluqt

Cavy Slave
Even if you ordered all timothy hay... i think she could send you a sample of bluegrass. I got 35lbs on my first order...1/2 bluegrass and 1/2 timothy. My pigs have never had bluegrass up until then, but they actually prefer her timothy over the bluegrass. I litter their entire cage with both hays and they'll resort to eating bluegrass if there's no more timothy left in their cage. Her bluegrass is gorgeous, however! Mine are just more timothy boys.

endzie

Cavy Slave
Thanks a lot for the advice guys, maybe i'll stick to timothy and get a sample of bluegrass.

smileyface cavy

Cavy Slave
Tmothy's best.

LiciaMommycott

Cavy Slave
I've been using orchard grass. It seems a bit softer and they really like it. I buy from a stable and their timothy was drier and scratchier. The orchard grass was nice and green and soft. Although I have had Kleenmama's timothy and it was really nice. I just wanted to buy in bigger bulk for less money.

Sierra

Cavy Slave
Timothy is softer, but a lot dustier. Bluegrass is said to be better for those with allergies.

aqh88

Cavy Slave
I think on the guinea lynx thread kleenmama said she might run out of timothy and not to get your pigs hooked on it if possible. Mine actually prefer oxbow orchard grass... They must be weird lol. They'll also eat km's bluegrass which she just found out is really majority orchardgrass with some bluegrass. There isn't enough difference between grass hays to say one is better than the other it just depends what your guinea pigs like. I found oxbow to be a bit dustier but cheaper for me and the wheeks prefer it for some reason. I also mix it with a little of km's bluegrass and occasionally some timothy but I'm allergic to it.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
If KM runs out of timothy hay before the new hay cutting in the early summer, a lot of piggies are going to be really disappointed. She has gained tons of new customers in the last 3 months alone. My pigs prefer her "blue orchard grass" over the timmy. And my girls like their bermuda grass over anything.

I agree with you aqh88, I don't think there is any hay truly better than another, it has to do with whether it is nice and green and not stemmy and if your pigs like it and will eat it.

Plummie

Cavy Slave
I love Kleenmama's hay, and used to order 50 lbs at a time for my chinchillas (1/2 timmy, 1/2 bluegrass) but shipping costs were just getting too high. Now that I have 14 chins and 3 guinea pigs (soon to be 4) I purchase hay through my local feed store. Their western timothy is right up there in quality with KM's and Oxbow's. I get 80 pounds at a time for a great price! And no shipping!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.