Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Feeder Cavies?

PurplePoe

Cavy Slave
I was posed with a question today by someone looking to adopt a guinea pig from the shelter today, and I was not quite sure how to answer it (I'm bad with grey areas). Since we did not have any cavies up for adoption today, and this person was pro-adoption/anti-petstore, she asked if it would be considered a good deed to get a guinea pig from someone she knows of who only breeds guinea pigs as feeder animals for reptiles. She says that they are kept in poor conditions in this person's garage and the only thing they have to look foward to is being some python's dinner. He charges $8 a pig and he breeds more as a "service" for himself and other large snake owners rather than profit. As I said, I didn't know what to tell her since on one hand she would be saving some pathetic pig from certain death, yet buying from him would encourage him to breed more pigs. Any input would be appreciated as I need other points of view on this one.

Poe

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
Well, I suppose you are already quite familiar with the animal care regulations in your area. No, I wouldn't buy his guinea pig any more than I'd buy a pet store guinea pig. Same reasons. However, I would go to some effort to make his life a bit more miserable. I'd report him. I'd make sure AC goes out there as often as possible. I'd talk to the neighbors and make sure THEY ALL know what is going on. I would find out whether he rents or owns and then make sure his landlord knows exactly what is going on--if he rents.

Access

Cavy Slave
I would simply not have anything at all to do with a person like this. It's best to avoid these people altogether. I've heard of these types of things up through breeding 'feeder dogs' (actually small puppies) for boa constrictors.

People say 'oh but it is the natural way' but in reality it's not. While 'feeding' is very natural for snakes, this setup is quite unnatural since you are basically placing the feeder animal in the cage with the snake without any means of escape or survival. Short of the snake getting bored and leaving the poor animal alone, the only way the event ends is for the small animal to die. In the wild, the prey can sometimes use it's speed and awareness (or other abilities) to escape, the predator does not always 'win'.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
I heard it's better for the snake to be fed frozen mice or frozen feed than live animals. Less dangerous or so.

bunnyluv17

Cavy Slave
It is better to feed frozen animals to snakes because live animals can seriously injure the snake. I feel it is also inhumane as it causes unneeded stress for both the prey and the snake.

citronsoul

Cavy Slave
In one of the local online market sites here in Belgium, I regularly check to see if someone posts guinea pigs that need homes. Last week, the search function brought up a Tiger Python that ate rabbits, guinea pigs & rats.

...I felt sick after reading it. I don't want to think about those creatures being fed live to a python.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
If this person is anti-petstore than why on earth would they want to get a pig from a snake food pet mill?

Help your friend to find a rescue/shelter with pigs in it.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
bunnyluv17 said:
It is better to feed frozen animals to snakes because live animals can seriously injure the snake. I feel it is also inhumane as it causes unneeded stress for both the prey and the snake.
Just for your info... Most of the prefrozen "feed animals" (mice, rats, Guinea Pigs, rabbits, etc...) are frozen alive.

In other words they are put in a bin or bag, thrown in the freezer and allowed to die of hypothermia. This method often takes days.

Others are drowned. Drowning is extremely painful.

Personally, I find being frozen alive or drowned much worse then suffocation. However, that is just my opinion.

I have a snake. She eats mice. I kill the mice myself (as humanely and quickly as possible) as I have never found a reliable (humane) source for frozen mice.

PurplePoe

Cavy Slave
"Well, I suppose you are already quite familiar with the animal care regulations in your area"

Yes, and they're basically "as long as an animal has food and shelter" type thing, very minimal I'm afraid.

"If this person is anti-petstore than why on earth would they want to get a pig from a snake food pet mill?"

She didn't consider this person to be in the same league as a petstore since he does not breed them as "pets," which is why they are so inexpensive, therefore she is under the impression that she would be saving a pig from a certain painful death. I wasn't sure how to reply to this since both views seem equally valid which is why I posted this question on the forum.

Poe

Miss Piggy

Cavy Slave
He's going to keep breeding them, and he probably won't stop anytime soon from what you wrote. Just find another shelter in your area if you can, or tell her to wait. Also, I would go along with some of Theresa's advice and call animal control or some other group that can do something. You can leave yourself annonymous and still cause a stir in the area where neighbors will see animal control park infront of the guys property inspecting the conditions of the animals.

PurplePoe

Cavy Slave
"Just find another shelter in your area if you can, or tell her to wait"

I did; she asked this question more as an "what if" type thing.

"call animal control or some other group that can do something"

I'm friends with all of the AC officers and there is nothing they can do since he has not broken any laws. As I said before, as long as the pigs have shelter, food, and water he has done nothing illegal. Sad but true.

Poe

_Cell_

Cavy Slave
i would never adopt a feeder pig, when animals are bred for food the only concern is that they can produce enough young to supply the out put of demand. the animals my not be physically sick at the time you buy them but due to poor breeding they are VERY likely to have genetic difformitiaties, which will cause alot of heart ache in the future.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.