Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Health Help ASAP

jwedenrock

Cavy Slave
Last Tuesday we purchased two cavies from Petsmart (Yes, I know...we didn't know about adopting). We added on to our store bought cage and have been having trouble with one of our piggies using the ramp. I say this because I'm not worried he fell off a ramp or anything. However, this evening he is turning his head to one side and it is staying there...and he once fell over and had some trouble getting back up. He seems fine...he is eating and drinking. Any suggestions on what could be causing this or is there some type of disease in cavies to be aware of??? We bought several books and I can't find anything in them. Any help would be greatly appreciated. We are very worried.

Himino

Cavy Slave
To me it sounds like brain damage but I wouldn't jump to concluisions.

jwedenrock

Cavy Slave
Yeah, I know. I'm hoping for the best. He actually belongs to our 8 year old son. I've been trying not to make conclusions in front of him, but he knows we are really worried. We just got this cavy this past Tuesday.

jwedenrock

Cavy Slave
I am calling the emergency vet now...he just fell over again...

Himino

Cavy Slave
Oh goodness! Poor baby, good luck in geting him better. Keep us updated.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
Sounds like Nystagmas. This is usually caused by an inner ear problem but sometimes the vet can't tell where/how it came to happen.

You may want to check out this thread on Guinea Lynx. I haven't read the whole thing but there may be some info for you there. https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=18362

jwedenrock

Cavy Slave
Thanks. I appreciate the link.

AngelsCavies

Cavy Slave
awwwwwww hope he will be fine. Keep us updated here too. Im having problems with my baby Holly. she is only a few weeks old and she is hardly doing anything but cry.

jwedenrock

Cavy Slave
We currently have him separated from the younger one. We talked to the emergency vet who said to monitor him and then take him to an exotic animal vet tomorrow. That is our plan. I'll let you know what happens. Thx

jwedenrock

Cavy Slave
Well, I have really bad news. We took our piggie to the vet and they kept him. He passed away during the evening. My significant other spoke to the vet and he felt the piggie had a tumor. We haven't told our 8 year old yet, we will when he gets home from school. He is going to be devastated.

dagwellismypigy

Cavy Slave
swww. Your piggy will be waiting for u at the rainbow bridge!

Elliepom

Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry for your loss. You'll see him again someday. I'm sure he appreciates the short amount of time that he spent with you and your family.

guinea_luver44

Cavy Slave
awww I'm sry...

RubyPiggie2

Cavy Slave
I'm sorry for your loss.... :(

AngelsCavies

Cavy Slave
Jweden i am so sorry for your lost. Im with you here. I have just recently lost a 3 week old piggie in my arms last night. I know what you are going through even for your son. Hopefuly you could get another boar for him. my prayers are out to your piggie and your family.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.