Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

We are new guinea pig grandparents

memepatti

Cavy Slave
We accidentally became grandparents of a female guinea pig. She is one-year old and very gentle and healthy. I need a lot of help from those of you who know the ins and outs of these sweet little creatures. Our granddaughter lives with us and "Katie Scarlett" is her pet. She had belonged to a little 5-year-old girl and been very well trained. Here are my questions:
  • Does she need alfalfa cubes (we bought some today)?
  • What is really the best food to be feeding her (she now has some that has different colors in it including corn)?
  • What is really the best bedding for her?
  • She likes carrots. Could these be harmful to her?
  • We bought a cage today (yes, it is one you say we shouldn't have; but she has been living in one that was only about 1 X 2 feet--so this new one is a big improvement) that has a compartment for hay. Should we be feeding her hay instead of alfalfa and what type?

Himino

Cavy Slave
memepatti said:
Here are my questions:
What is really the best food to be feeding her (she now has some that has different colors in it including corn)?
What is really the best bedding for her?

She likes carrots. Could these be harmful to her?

We bought a cage today (yes, it is one you say we shouldn't have; but she has been living in one that was only about 1 X 2 feet--so this new one is a big improvement) that has a compartment for hay. Should we be feeding her hay instead of alfalfa and what type?
1. The best food would be Oxbow Cavy Cusine. You can order it from several online store's and this is there main site- (broken link removed)
2. I would say aspen wood chips with either newspaper under it or a soft bedding like CareFresh over the Aspen.
3. Yes the carrots contain high amounts of vitamin a, it is best that they are fed at most every 3 days.
4. You should really consider making a C&C cage, and if you don't want to make one your self you could buy a premade one here. Just click store on the top banner.
5. Alfalfa is hay, but no she is old enough to be eatting Timothy hay.

memepatti

Cavy Slave
Thanks so much! I will go ahead and use up what we have (since it is what she has been using for a year) and then get the other things when they need to be replenished.
jaspers_girl said:
1. The best food would be Oxbow Cavy Cusine. You can order it from several online store's and this is there main site- (broken link removed)
2. I would say aspen wood chips with either newspaper under it or a soft bedding like CareFresh over the Aspen.
3. Yes the carrots contain high amounts of vitamin a, it is best that they are fed at most every 3 days.
4. You should really consider making a C&C cage, and if you don't want to make one your self you could buy a premade one here. Just click store on the top banner.
5. Alfalfa is hay, but no she is old enough to be eatting Timothy hay.

Himino

Cavy Slave
Sure no problem! One other thing I forgot to mention guinea pigs always do best in pairs. I would recommend you work on adopting another female compaion for Katie.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.