Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Litter Training Hi, newbie, litter boxes?

gymverb

Cavy Slave
I am new to the cavie world, and have seen many people with litter boxes! My guys go potty in this one area that is only mainly used, so I have made that there litter box. Does that mean I don't need bedding anywhere else? Because they seem to poop everywhere! Thank you guys, and I'd apreciate any other information you think I'd find useful! :)

misspiggy&piper

Cavy Slave
No, you can actually use fleece in the rest of the cage. Some pigs do ALL of their buisness in the pan, but most will poo everywhere regardless. It's just one of those things I guess. My pigs use the litter box really well, even to poo, but their loft where they sleep has to be spot cleaned 2-3 times a day for poos. So it's just one of those things that depend on what you are comfortable with doing. Me, I don't mind cleaning up poo as long as they pee in the box. Maybe you could try fleece with a litter pan and see how you like it. That's what I did, and I would never go back to a full shavings cage.

misspiggy&piper

Cavy Slave
I have found too that since I began using fleece, they have figured out I would like them to use their pan for all of their buisness. HTye have gotten continuously better since the switch! Good Luck to ya in whatever you choose!

gymverb

Cavy Slave
Ok, thank you! Where do I get fleece at? Just like an old fleece blanket? Right now I have newspaper on the bottom, and in certain parts CareFresh. Do I just get a small kitty pan? And how do you make a second level? I have a TON of grids left! And how do you make a hay rack? Sorry for all the questions, this site is very helpful! :)

misspiggy&piper

Cavy Slave
I had an old pet store cage that I took the top off of, but a large cat litter pan would work just as good. You can also get corner litter pans that are made for Rabbits and ferrets. If you will go into the photo gallery, you can find all the pics you need for examples of hay racks and second levels. If you will click on the little camera in my post it will take you to my photos and you can see how I did my hayrack and second levels. My cage has a plastic shower curtain, then a braided rug, and then my fleece on top. I bought my fleece at Wal-Mart, as that is the only place I have to get it. I don't mind questions at all, and I will try to help you the best I can. THere are others on here that may be able to help you out more than me. But I definitely recommend searching through the photo gallery!!

gymverb

Cavy Slave
Thank you so much! I am so glad I joined this forum, it has helped a ton! So I can get a shower curtain to cover the coroplast, then get a fleece blanket? How do you give those "Thanks for the helpful points" thingys? I will be sure to look at your pics!

misspiggy&piper

Cavy Slave
Oh, if you are using coroplast, you don't need a shower curtain. With coro, you just need an absorbent layer under your fleece. Some people use a layer of towels or two layers of towels, and then fleece. Myself, I have a layer of braided rug, or boho rug, and then my fleece. (I have to use the shower curtain underneath because I don't have coro, the cage is just on the floor.)
Some people also use mattress pads for the absorbent layer. It all depends on what is best for you. As for the thank you thingy, I don't know how you do that yet! LOL.

gymverb

Cavy Slave
Oh, ok. Can I just use towels and not fleece? Or do they need the fleece? I'm so confused! What do they NEED in there cage?

misspiggy&piper

Cavy Slave
Well, I see it this way, (and this is just my opinion) you need a water proof layer, (which is your coroplast) an absorbent layer, (towels,mattress pad,rug) and a top layer that pulls the moisture away to the bottom. (fleece) This is a very effective set up if you have litter boxes and your pigs pee in them for the most part.

gymverb

Cavy Slave
Okay, cool! I made a second level, although they can't figure out how to get to it or leave it haha. I also got some towels and blankets at the Dollar Store. Thank you so much!

misspiggy&piper

Cavy Slave
You are very welcome, and I hope I helped out somewhat!! Just let me know if there are any more questions and I will try my best to help!

misspiggy&piper

Cavy Slave
Thanks for that link. I didn't know where to find it exactly. I washed mine twice before using and it seems to work well. I tried using it before washing it, and that's a big NO-NO, LOL!

Caviekisses

Cavy Slave

MapleOwl18

Cavy Slave
You're welcome.

My piggies love their fleece :)

xDardentlove

Cavy Slave
So helpful! Thanks profusely!

Furry's Friend

Cavy Slave
If you type "fleece" in the google search box on the main forum page you will find enough info to keep you reading for a long time! You'll have to experiment to see what layers work best for you under your fleece. My 2 girls drink and pee in great volume, so I have several layers of towel and mattress pads under my fleece. Instead of a litter box, I made extra pads for their favorite pee spots that I replace every day or two. When you search fleece, you will also find many good methods for cleaning the cage. Good luck!

Treacle

Cavy Slave
I loved using fleece but my washing machine eneded up full of piggy hair!Do any of you have this problem? I had to change to wood shavings and carefresh, I'd love to have a washing machne just for the piggies :crazy:

MapleOwl18

Cavy Slave
I just use the washing machines at my apartment buildings. Most of the hair in mine seems to come off in the dryer, and get in the lint trap. I just clean that out and I'm good. Does your drier have the equivalent of a lint trap. I think some older one did.

If you want too try running something non-piggy like say an old towel, to try to get the stuff out.

Treacle

Cavy Slave
The hair stays in the washing machine, before I even put the flece on the dryer, and it stayed inside, so I had to clean it properly afterwards, but I was worried the hair might be getting into the insides and break it. I tried brushing the fleese before washing it but it wasn't enough, the hair still came off in the washing machine. They also used to munch on the fleece, they made a massive hole once!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.