Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New Piggie Slave!

rozie_2006

Cavy Slave
Hello Everyone!! I have two piggies, Rodney and Red. Rodney is my first and older guy. We rescued him from people that didn't take proper care of him. He was living in a house by himself, on the cold floor, with nothing in his cage but a bowl of food that was spilled all over the floor. His cage was dirty and smelly, and so was he. When we got him, I knew nothing about guinea pigs but I knew he deserved better than this. So we took him home and cleaned him up. I then researched all I could on guinea pigs, so i could properly take care of him. We built a C&C cage for him that is huge! And we now got him a little friend, named Red. Because there is no other place around here to get piggies, no rescues or nothing, I live in a small, rural area, I did get him from a pet store, but I look at it as I rescued him from the store. At least he came to someone who will spoil him. And he has been very healthy since we got him. But I don't condone pet stores what-so-ever! I looked everywhere around here for another option, but I could not find any guinea pigs to rescue or buy. So thats us in a nutshell!

starshine123102

Cavy Slave
Welcome to GPC!

breezy2

Cavy Slave
Congrats on your new piggy and way to go for rescuing the first one. I am currently in a struggle to find an adoptable piggy within a short driving distance right now, so I know how you feel. They are not always easy to find for sure.

I have a feeling you have been around for awhile just not posting, being you said you built a C&C for Rodney before getting Red. But welcome anyway from another fairly new member.

dra&pigs

Cavy Slave
Welcome to GPC! I hope you can find tons of info for Rodney and Red around here. :)

AnimalHouse36

Cavy Slave
Welcome to GPC! We can't wait for pigtures!

I just want to clarify something. Buying from a petstore is not rescuing. When you buy a pig, you give the store money and then they go, order some more pigs, then put even morepigs into the space you made. It's one big discusting continuos cycle. I hope you don't feel attacked I just wanted to let you know the truth and maybe you wont buy again.

rozie_2006

Cavy Slave
Well sorry to tell you that around here, its not very easy to find guinea pigs to "adopt". Like I said I do NOT support pet stores. But there are no rescues or anything in my state practically. At least the little guy I bought will have a good life and not be abused. So no, this does not change my opinion that I rescued him.

guineapigluver1

Cavy Slave
Welcome to GPC!
I'm not trying to be mean but, what about Craigslist? And Freecycle has them to.

AnimalHouse36

Cavy Slave
Well sorry to tell you that around here, its not very easy to find guinea pigs to "adopt". Like I said I do NOT support pet stores. But there are no rescues or anything in my state practically. At least the little guy I bought will have a good life and not be abused. So no, this does not change my opinion that I rescued him.

Hey guys, how many times have we heard that one. Nce again I'm only trying to be helpful but what you did was take the easy way out. We've had people drive 4 hours one way to get there pigs. we've had people start piggie trains, and other people who drive cross country.

Well now you pig has a good life, but what about the three that replace him. What makes him any better than the rest. Are you going to buy all the pigs that come in there?

breezy2

Cavy Slave
We've had people drive 4 hours one way to get there pigs and other people who drive cross country.

I think what people who state this over and over again do not understand is that this is not in everyone's capability. I for one have been searching for a guinea pig for quite some time now, because I am unable to travel far distances due to the condition of my car. This does not mean I am going to go get a guinea pig from a petstore again (my first was before I knew all the petstore horrors) I will just keep looking. Anyway I don't think you should just assume everyone can go many hours to get one.

I left out the piggy train part in my quote, because I think those are great!

I do, however, think with a lot of research and patience, you can find a piggy not too far away to adopt or rescue.

AnimalHouse36

Cavy Slave
Breezy: Thats why I stated multiple idea's. ;)

Even if you don't have a car to drive you could always ask a favor of a friend (not for the cross counrty of course), or go on a roadtrip!

Personaly, I in a way hope that no piggies will be in my shelter since that means less are being bought.

dra&pigs

Cavy Slave
When I first found this site and went on a mission to find my piggies friends (then I had 1 boy and 1 girl, seperated, of course), I drove 5.5 hours away to get a piggie from a rescue who was going to euthanize them because they were overcrowded and couldn't find a place for them. I adopted 2 more of my pigs from there.

danaspiggies

Cavy Slave
I to live in an area that guinea pigs are hard to come by I did some research and found some in Louisiana since I will be going there next week to visit family I will be rescuing 2 of them I to did not realize the horror stories from pet stores

betita

Cavy Slave
hello
i´m new around here and i need some info about cages and how to built them etc. who can help me?

cielo

Cavy Slave
betita I PM you...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.