PDA

View Full Version : New C and c Cage and LOVE IT

2PiggiesEP
11-16-08, 09:24 am
Hi Everyone. I had my two piggies since February in a hand made c and c cage. I just bought a bigger one from the website and compeletely love it. Sue was extrememly nice! One question. My guinea pigs love to nibble but it hurts! I dont know if they are trying to kiss me or what! Any suggestions?

AnimalHouse36
11-16-08, 10:38 am
Welcome to GPC! I bought my first cage from Sue, too!

You might have tasted nice from the salt on your hands. Or maybe you were cutting up veggies or eating. Try washing your hands next time before you see them.

starshine123102
11-16-08, 11:31 am
Welcome to GPC! I'm glad you love you c&c as much as we do!

I ditto what AnimalHouse said about the veggies. My piggie likes to nibble to but more because she doesn't like to be picked up.

dra&pigs
11-16-08, 01:08 pm
Welcome to GPC! Aren't the C&C's amazing? I love mine. Ditto what AnimalHouse and starshine said about the nibbling.

cielo
11-16-08, 01:27 pm
My piggies only get my fingers when I am filling their plates...LoL!

hueyeats
11-16-08, 10:10 pm
Congrats on your C&C cage and a welcome to this site as well.

I am more of a newbie than you are, only 7 weeks into my pigs. My piggies love to nibble as well but they do that less frequently now. I never showed fear of withdrawing my fingers when they nip my fingers & in fact love to put my hands close for them to sniff (so they get used to my scent as not food).

My FIL actually shared a tip to never show them fear when they nibble or they will have you trained as the lesser pig to do what they the dominate pig wants; and the pigs talk among themselves you know... also during their pecking order establishment... nipping is part of the dominance act; the pig that cowers after another's nip will be the lesser pig.

I usually make myself to think that they are kissing me instead. Besides, I really trust my pig to love me enough not to really bite... and I believe that my piggies love me so much that they will not even pee on me & will wait till they go on potty break back to their litter pan or home (only one have peed on me in the beginning and it was the abby).

2PiggiesEP
11-17-08, 09:20 am
Thanks everyone! One more question. I have two guinea pigs and the one will eat Grapes Carrots you name it, but my other one will not touch it! I feel bad because he needs the nutrients but just one eat anything that is not hay or pellets Any suggestions? They were both the same size when I got them but now the one who is eating the fresh food is almost two times his size!

hueyeats
11-17-08, 01:05 pm
Are the 2 living together? If they are, one could be bullying the other by not letting that one eat. I have read that in the natural order of 2 pigs, some can be bullied till they starve to death.

If it is due to a "picky pig"... then you have to give it more choices when it comes to food... the more the better so you can know what their preferences are. Many people have said that their piggies love cucumbers & peppers... but my gals would not touch them (how very strange). All piggies are different just make sure that they get choices in their menu.

Food is a very important base to the health of the piggie... if you have piggies that live together & you find one of them being let out from the other & not eating much... it may be time to intervene & maybe hand feed the other / give it alone time with its food / better yet, separate them.

banjosnotbombs
12-15-08, 10:03 am
Thanks everyone! One more question. I have two guinea pigs and the one will eat Grapes Carrots you name it, but my other one will not touch it! I feel bad because he needs the nutrients but just one eat anything that is not hay or pellets Any suggestions? They were both the same size when I got them but now the one who is eating the fresh food is almost two times his size!

It took my Odetta a while to get used to eating veggies. I think it took 2 weeks with living with my already veggie-eating pig to start. During that time I gave vitamin C supplements from Oxbow. You should get some to make sure your piggy is getting enough vitamin c.
Oxbow Animal Health | GTN-50C (http://www.oxbowanimalhealth.com/products/type/detail?object=1548)

I wouldn't separate them, he might just be a slow learner.
If he's showing interest, but the other pig is being dominant and won't let him eat, then let him eat on his own.
Goodluck, and welcome to GPC!

2PiggiesEP
12-15-08, 06:04 pm
Thanks everyone for you're input... I am definetly going to try it!lol