Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Fleas?

FemaleCheetah

Cavy Slave
Can guinea pigs get fleas? I haven't seen any on mine but I am just curious about it is all.

All my pets in my home (dogs, cats, ferrets, sugar gliders) are all flea free and the ones that can be are on flea preventative.

Just curious about it is all :)

piggyluv

Cavy Slave
I don't think they can get fleas, but they can get mites and lice.

FemaleCheetah

Cavy Slave
okay thanks

Haley0489

Cavy Slave
They can get fleas, found one on my friends pig just yesterday.
They're very uncommon in guinea pigs though, and unless your dog or cat is infested, it's very unlikely your guinea pig will get fleas.

Deenanicole08

Cavy Slave
They can get fleas, but it's uncommon because they don't go outside, and if they do it's not very often or for a long period of time. The only way to get them is if another animal of your's that goes outside, like a dog or cat beings them in.

sophistacavy

Cavy Slave
I don't think they can get fleas, but they can get mites and lice.

How does somebody know if their cavy has mites and/or lice? I know the technique vets use to determine if cats/dogs have fleas, would I do the same with my cavies and be able to accurately determine if they have mites/lice? Sorry, I'm just a little paranoid, OCD whatever about keeping my cavies (not to mention all my other pets) well-groomed and at a healthy hygiene level. I think of it like this: If I was dirty and smelly because I hadn't showered or otherwise kept myself clean for awhile, I wouldn't be a happy camper, and I feel uncomfortable. So, I imagine all my pets feeling a similar way. Weird, huh? Hopefully I'm not the only one lol....

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.