Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Kitchen/Eating Area

FemaleCheetah

Cavy Slave
Where is the best place to put the food dish/veggie plate in the cage?

Also what do you guys use as a plate/feeding tray for the veggies? I just put them on a paper plate but I would like to use something that I can just wash and reuse if possible.

Thanks you in advance!

starshine123102

Cavy Slave
You can put it anywhere you want to. I would suggest getting a low, heavy ceramic crock so that they caan't easily flip their bowl and waste the pellets. You can also get bowls that attach to the side of the cage, although I have only found them at PetNo, which we don't support.

FemaleCheetah

Cavy Slave
Thank you. I have a heavy duty ceramic bowel for her pellets right now :)

What do you put the veggies on or in?

starshine123102

Cavy Slave
I just drop them in the middle of the cage floor. She takes them and drags them across the cage to her hidey so they don't really need to stay on anything. If you want you can always fill up another crock.

Some people like to create a seperate kitchen area for food/potty, but I don't care where she eats/poos.

Jenni_Feathers

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I use a normal dinner plate for veggies. For pellets I use, got it @ walmart for like $1, my boys are skilled bowl tippers, but have yet tipped over this one. For hay/litter tray I use the bottom part of a taken apart hard sided carrier. , there's usually a hayrack on the back wall, and more hay in it, there isn't in this pic though.

FemaleCheetah

Cavy Slave
Thank you!

Jenni - I have one of those cat food bowels that I don't even use. That is a really good idea.

I like the carrier idea also. I will keep that in mind for when I make my C&C cage.

iluvmypigclover

Cavy Slave
You know, for the pellets, we actually use a ceramic ashtray. Obviously, it was never used as an ashtray (nobody in my house smokes... it was a souvenier). It works very well because it is heavy with low sides. And, if your piggies like to push the pellets around with their noses, the pellets don't usually spill over the sides because there is a slight lip over the top of the sides! For veggies, I just use a bowl from the pet store. It's ceramic, so Clover can't chew on it, like she used to with her plastic bowl. It's easily washable, and it hold the right amount of food. You could try a small flower pot. You can usually get one thats a decent size for about $2-3 dollars. Good luck!

Lauren&Pigs

Cavy Slave
You know, for the pellets, we actually use a ceramic ashtray. Obviously, it was never used as an ashtray (nobody in my house smokes... it was a souvenier). It works very well because it is heavy with low sides. And, if your piggies like to push the pellets around with their noses, the pellets don't usually spill over the sides because there is a slight lip over the top of the sides! For veggies, I just use a bowl from the pet store. It's ceramic, so Clover can't chew on it, like she used to with her plastic bowl. It's easily washable, and it hold the right amount of food. You could try a small flower pot. You can usually get one thats a decent size for about $2-3 dollars. Good luck!
I second the ashtray. My mom used to collect them because she thought the small glass bowls with low sides were cute. So we have many of them that I'm able to use with the pigs. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.