Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Help! Pig eating her cage!

• Thread starter starshine123102
  • Start date

starshine123102

Cavy Slave
So about two months ago I added on to my pigs cage. To save some money I bought a piece that was just big enough to do the addition. To connect the two pieces I have them duct taped together. She has NEVER touched the tape until tonight.

Every few minutes I catch her going over to nibble on the tape. I don't want to scare her but I don't want her eating it so I've been clapping my hands really loudly every time she starts to do it. (operant conditioning through punishment for anyone who knows learning theory ;))

What do I do?!

AnimalHouse36

Cavy Slave
Them injesting tape can cause a block. What type of bedding are you using?

Could you just slightly overlap the two peices and use gorrila glue?

starshine123102

Cavy Slave
I use fleece but it isn't wide enough to go up the sides.

I can't use glue to hold them together because it's for the center and there is no overlap.

I had taken out her second hidey the other day to make room for the paperbag I had stuffed full of hay, so maybe that was what was causing it. I have since put it back in and I haven't noticed her doing it, which is good, but I'm still worried.

This is one side of the cage, the other side is blocked by a hay rack so she can't get to it.

CavyKeeper

Cavy Slave
I did a similar thing with my cage, only I used Scotch clear packaging tape. The surface is very smooth, so it might be more difficult for the piggies to get a grip to chew on it.

I've also heard that some people use those strips from plastic book report covers to cover the edge of the coroplast. That could help protect the top piece of the tape. Or if you have any scrap pieces of fleece, you could just cover that one area, since the main fleece bedding is too small.

Deenanicole08

Cavy Slave
Could you try to tape only on the outside where she cant reach? that's what I did, and it holds up well. And the pig cant get to the tape.

breezy2

Cavy Slave
I agree that taping only the outside should work. Also you could drape a small towel over it and use clips at top to keep the towel down then tuck the bottom under the fleece, so the piggy cannot get under it to chew.

starshine123102

Cavy Slave
Thanks everone I'll give it a try.

I haven't noticed any more nibble spots since I put her second hidey back in so hopefully that will help too.

piggerz

Cavy Slave
I've got a piggy chewing on the coroplast on the side of the cage. He just started that a little over a week ago. I've been giving them wood pieces to chew on and little wooden blocks as well as hay and their normal veggies. I'm not sure what to do to get him to stop. When I see him chewing in it, I try to divert his attention to something else. Anything else I can do?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.