Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage bedding info needed - re-try cause posted in wrong spot

EARHTMOTHER

Cavy Slave
ok I have a couple of questions . . . . I am going to be building the the alternative C&C cage, just cause the used shelving is so much cheaper than the news cubes. I have a couple of questions though, tried to read all the posts on coroplast but still can't seem to find the information on joining the peices together - I must have somehow blanked when that section came up. Also I want to change from shavings which we currently use to fleece since it looks so much cosier and since we have "naked" pigs it is especially appealing. There is sooo much information here though I feel overwhelmed. I know that everyone has their own opinion on what type of fleece is best but could someone please tell me what the general concensus is on the best to use, also what works best as under padding...yeah maybe this is cheating but as I already tried to read and it just gave me a headache I figure I am entitled. Guess I should also mention that there is a teenager involved in the pig care so if that makes a difference please add that to the equation. We do realize that there will be laundry but if with 5 people in the house that is already an almost daily chore. What we do need though is something that will keep the smell down to a minimum as there is also an anal step dad in the equation who has the most sensitive nose I have ever seen. It is the last information that has stopped me from switching earlier, but as the temperature starts falling (28f today about typical, and only going to get colder as the months progress)I am feeling sympathy for my poor naked babies. Sorry to be so long winded but things just kept popping into my head.

Elaine

starshine123102

Cavy Slave
I don't know if there is a Jo Ann Fabric's in Canada, but that is where I got my fleece. I only have one piggie at the moment so I only need to use one layer of towel under my fleece. She only goes potty in one corner so I have the towel folded over so it's like having two layers in that corner. I sweep poos once or twice a day and change it all out once a week. Since I live in an apartment with coin operated washer/dryer and I'm in college I wash every two weeks so that it's cheaper to wash. I also use a cup of white vinegar in my wash to help cut any smells that may be stubborn.

Since you have skinny's I would reccomend getting/making some cozy saks to leave in their cage so that they can sleep in those when it gets cold if you haven't already. (I go snowmobiling in Quebec so I know just how cld it gets up there!)

the coroplast is one big piece, unless you are adding on to the cage. All you need to do is score it so that it bends up to make the sides. Then you need to cut (all the way through) flaps to hold it all together, about 6 inches. Did you look on the sites main page? There are step by step pictures for building the cage. https://www.guineapigcages.com/howto.htm

Hope I helped a little bit! Good luck!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.