PDA

View Full Version : Mites from stress

miaoyin
11-02-08, 05:37 am
I am new to owning small animals and a few months ago i got a rabbit and a guinea to live together. 50% of the info was for it and 50% against. I tried it and I felt almost immediately that they would both be better with their own company. I got 2 brothers to go with the guinea i already had. My first guinea had been use to throwing his weight around with a bunny and had no problems making it clear he's 'top dog'. 1 of the brothers was fine with it and the two have become very comfortable with each other, the other brother however seems to have been less ok and has now been shunned by the other 2. Last week I had to seperate Binky when I suspected he had ringworm. A trip to the vet ruled out ringworm and has told me its more likely to be mites bought on by stress.
Binky's currently under-going 3 weeks of medical treatment. My concern is where do I go from here...how do I make his life less stressful. Will it be that he'll have to remain on his own? His nose and right ear look so sore at the moment and I wouldnt want him to have to go thru this all again.
Any insights you guys can send my way will be gratefully appreciated.

dra&pigs
11-02-08, 07:02 am
I would try to reintroduce Binky to the other guinea pigs again after treatment. I would only seperate if blood is drawn or they are unable to reach their food or water. If there is still problems, then you could make your cage bigger and section off a part of the cage for Binky, so he can still hear, smell and interact with the other pigs, but he can't actually touch them. However, it sounds like he could just be adjusting to a new enviroment and if I were you, I would do intro's again. Did you make sure to clean out the cage thoroughly and wash all food bowls and water bottles so there was no trace of the orginial pig before placing all three of them in there? And did you quarentine for 2-3 weeks? If you didn't, then its possible that those mites were from before you got him and they all should be treated.

miaoyin
11-02-08, 08:01 am
The cage was all new, none of them had been in it b4 so no scents were dominating. I did intro's on a neutral flooring with all new toys and stuff. They've been together now for about 5 weeks, I have noticed that Binky is very cautious...when its feed time he will slowly work his way around the other 2 grab a veggie and run off, then come back later and do the same again while the other 2 sit at the bowl and eat most of it.
Fighting wise they were fairly relaxed from the start. Some chasing from Binky and Flash but nothing to worry about then we had 1 night about 5 days after they were together where Flash (the boss) starting dry humping Binky. I was quite worried as it went on for hours...but I was told it was part of the process and it was Flash letting Binky know once and for all that hes the boss.
The 1 thing I didnt do that I guess I should have was quarentine. All 3 guineas and the bunnys all came from the same girl who is very experienced and very caring and I never even gave it a thought.
I think your right about re-introducing them once I know they are all fit and well. I have a 2 storey c&c cage and I've simply removed the ladder section to keep Binky up the top and the others at the bottam. They still talk to each other but they cant see...so i'll do re-intro when their ready.

dra&pigs
11-02-08, 09:39 am
I would try putting them all together one more time, because it would really be easier for them and you. But if it doesn't work out, then just make sure to close off the second level so Binky can't fall. If you didn't quarentine, then you should treat them all for mites. I wouldn't start quarentine now, because any disease they could have gotten they have. Taking them all to the vet would be best so she/he can check for any illness.
P.S-Did you get a friend for the bunny? They need companians just as much as cavies do (as far as I know)

Ly&Pigs
11-02-08, 11:30 am
Did Binky just get treated for mites or did you treat all the boys?

miaoyin
11-04-08, 08:27 am
I did get a friend for my bunny.
I had each of the guinea's out today so I could give them a good check over as Binky is due back to the vet tomorrow. The other 2 feel fine, I cant feel anything in their fur like i can on Binky, but both of them have some dryness on the ears. I suspect they do all have the same condition but Binky has it worse.
Initially the vet simply asked me if the others showed any signs of infection (which they didnt)and it was not indicated to me that they should still be treated incase. However a week later I can see they likely need to be treated aswell.

Ly&Pigs
11-04-08, 11:41 am
When you treat one for mites, you have to treat them all. Otherwise the mites will just spread back and forth. To completely get rid of them they all need at least 3 ivermectin treatments about a week apart.

CACavieMom
11-05-08, 09:20 am
I did get a friend for my bunny.
I had each of the guinea's out today so I could give them a good check over as Binky is due back to the vet tomorrow. The other 2 feel fine, I cant feel anything in their fur like i can on Binky, but both of them have some dryness on the ears. I suspect they do all have the same condition but Binky has it worse.

What does it feel like in their fur if they have mites?

rabbitsncavyluv
11-05-08, 11:32 am
You won't necessarily feel anything but dandruff and dry skin at most. Maybe bald skin and red sores if it is bad mites.

It's pretty common esp. in pet store pigs. All pigs in the household should be treated if one has it.

Stress doesn't cause mites but it can cause them to flare up.

miaoyin
11-06-08, 01:59 am
PC went on strike yesturday. I returned to the vet yesturday and saw a different one, she seemed much more experienced with guinea's and i went in less ignorant to. We had a nice long chat and now all 3 are on xeno 450(active ingrediant ivermectin) every 2 weeks. I came away feeling alot more secure.
Did re-introductions while giving them treatment, Flash made alot of fuss but they generally seem happy to have Binky back.
Thanks for all of the advice, it always helps to hear others points of views. Im learning as I go along and I feel much less ignorant today as I did 1 week ago.