Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fly pupae in fleece

staphjermz

Cavy Slave
hi there has anyone had issues with flies laying their eggs in the fleece. After i washed the fleece i found little bugs embedded in the fleece and researched and found out it was flies pupae. How do you get rid of the flies?

sammy_kaye

Cavy Slave
The best way to keep the flies away from the piggies is a flyscreen. I wouldn't use sprays as this could harm the pigs. We have fliy stickers in NZ it is a sticker that you put on the window. The flies are attracted to it, lick it then fly away and die.

A hot wash should get rid of the bugs. I would also sweep up poops more often and wash at least twice a week to prevent this from happening again.

kennerzzz

Cavy Slave
I think the same thing happened to me, because one day I suddenly had a bunch of flies in my room that were right next to the guinea pig cage and nowhere else in my house! (my guinea pigs are in my bedroom because that is actually where I spend most of my time (computer(homework))).

You could try washing the fleece in vinegar(like you did when you first purchased it, well thats what I did at least). It isn't very acidic, but it could be enough to kill off the flies.

Good luck!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.