Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

The ramp....

guineapigluver1

Cavy Slave
I haven't finished the guinea pig cage yet, in fact I haven't even half finished it, I only have the bottom floor outlined (I finally got zip ties!) as I still need coroplast and I need to find the other boxes of grids in the big garage mess of boxes. Anyways, I need to build a ramp. We have a big peice of plywood but I don't know how to make it. I want to make a "railing" but wouldn't the edges be too sharp if I used plywood? Also what would I cover the ramp with and how? Or is there anything else I could use to make a ramp with?

Tophica

Cavy Slave
Plywoods fine to use but you would have to sand down the sharp edges, and you can basically cover it with old towles/fleece or some sort or rubber type material that woud give the pigs some grip. Or if you want over ideas you can look in the galleries :cheerful:

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
You could always use spare grids as a ramp and even coroplast, but you need to make sure you cover it with something so that the pigs don't hurt their little feet or slip. One of the photo galleries has ramps in it. It has tons of pictures with many ideas!

piggyluv

Cavy Slave
You could use a bent grid, and it would have a railing too! Just cut some coroplast for the bottom and many people cover it in fleece for grip.

guineapigluver1

Cavy Slave
I have already tried a bent grid (3 times in fact) and every time it broke, and I did it right. So I am most likely going to use plywood and have my dad drill two holes at the top so I can fasten it with zip ties....as far as the railing goes I am still not sure what to do. For traction I think I might use a non-slip shower mat or put strips of plywood down horizontally and fasten them down with something and cover it with fleece or a blanket or something.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.