PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of Cell-Sorb?

willowfaery
10-27-08, 05:55 pm
I would like to hear from people who have had experience with Cell-Sorb bedding. Did you like it? If not, why? How is it with odor (urine and feces smells)? How is the absorption? I work for a vet and I think I can get a huge bag of it for a pretty good price. I will only be using it in two litter boxes. The rest of my cage is fleece. I've read a few good things about it. I have yet to read anything bad. I would like to get several first-hand opinions about it. I was using aspen shavings, but I think one of my pigs is allergic to it. I have also used Carefresh, and I can't stand the way it smells. Now I am using Yesterday's News until I get something better. When I had the aspen and Carefresh, I did complete litter changes every day. The aspen did well with smells but the Carefresh failed in that respect. I also can't afford Carefresh. I know there are other beddings on the market similar to and cheaper than Carefresh, but I'm pretty sure they will all smell the same once they are soiled. I even made my own Carefresh-like bedding per the instructions on Guinea Lynx. The smell was no different and the process of making it took forever. I also tried to do away with the litter boxes all together, and that was a HUGE mess. There was hay and poop everywhere. And the smell was almost immediate. So, I need to find something better that will not make my piggy itch, absorbs well, and nuetralizes odors. Does anyone think Cell-Sorb is my answer?

Peggysu
10-29-08, 03:30 pm
I used to use Cell-sorb in my guinea pigs litter boxes. It worked fine but I changed it at least once a day if not twice. I now use corn cob bedding in the litter boxes and it's cheaper and works fine. It's not supper absorbent but they don't seem to mind it. Like I said I change it everyday anyways and the corn cob bedding doesn't stick to the fleece. The cell-sorb use to stick to my fleece and it took a little bit to shake it all off.

faye205
10-30-08, 01:13 pm
I agree with Peggysu with corn cob. I tried everything, especially cell-sorb. Not a fan of cell-sorb because it clings on the fleece and my little gps when they are laying down on it. I'm using corn cob since it's easier to clean up. I can use the scooper that I got for 99 cents, which is awesome.

PrincessAngel
10-31-08, 10:48 am
I agree with Peggysu with corn cob. I tried everything, especially cell-sorb. Not a fan of cell-sorb because it clings on the fleece and my little gps when they are laying down on it. I'm using corn cob since it's easier to clean up. I can use the scooper that I got for 99 cents, which is awesome.
Acutally corn cob is not a good choice for guinea pigs. They could choke on it if they tried to eat it, it can mold, and it expands in their tummies. I would suggest pine pellets they work great for odor and absorbtion. When they get wet they get a tad heavy but also break down into small pieces. Another bedding I like to use is kiln-dried pine. I found that premier brand at petco/petsmart is about 12 dollars for a huge bag that lasts a long time and its kiln-dried. It works very well for my guinea pigs and doesnt smell bad. I did a whole bedding experiment and one of the most perfered beddings by my pigs were pine and a mix of pine,aspen and carefresh. I bought all 3 in the biggest bags and put some of each into a container and mixed it.It worked really well.

Peggysu
10-31-08, 03:46 pm
I don't shop at Petco or Petsmart or any pet store for that matter. Thanks for the info on the corn cob. I have read that lots of people use corn cob bedding in litter boxes. As for molding I change it twice a day and so it doesn't have time to mold. A mix wouldn't really work for me and I'm allergic to pine, but my next bag I will try pine pellets out. Hopefully it's not to dusty.

PrincessAngel
11-01-08, 01:10 pm
I don't shop at Petco or Petsmart or any pet store for that matter. Thanks for the info on the corn cob. I have read that lots of people use corn cob bedding in litter boxes. As for molding I change it twice a day and so it doesn't have time to mold. A mix wouldn't really work for me and I'm allergic to pine, but my next bag I will try pine pellets out. Hopefully it's not to dusty.
You can find these beddings at feedstores too. Pine pellets aren't too dusty I usely buy ones sold as cat litter but they are pure pine, with no additives.

Silverbeat
11-03-08, 07:20 pm
Pine pellets ["sawdust pellets"] aren't really sawdust like you'd find in a wood shop, they're just itty-bitty chunks of pine. They're pretty much dust-free. And really really absorbent.
The ones sold as horse bedding are pure pine as well, but since most people buy it in bulk it's way cheaper. You can find them at a feed store or possibly a hardware store.

willowfaery
11-04-08, 04:58 am
Pine pellets ["sawdust pellets"] aren't really sawdust like you'd find in a wood shop, they're just itty-bitty chunks of pine. They're pretty much dust-free. And really really absorbent.
The ones sold as horse bedding are pure pine as well, but since most people buy it in bulk it's way cheaper. You can find them at a feed store or possibly a hardware store.

Are the pine pellets for horses kiln-dried?

Silverbeat
11-04-08, 11:13 am
Yup, they should say right on the package whether they are or not. As far as I've seen. most of them are. Generally they're around $3-$5 for 40lbs.

Caviekisses
12-01-08, 08:06 pm
I love Cell-Sorb. I started using it because one of my rats had permanent respiratory problems and was allergic to the other kinds of bedding I tried. That was the only one she didn't have trouble breathing around.

If you're going to use a wood product then Aspen is the best... It also smells really good. I HATE Carefresh... I can't stand the way it smells, it makes a mess, and if it stinks before it's put in the cage just imagine what it's like by the end of the day... Yuck.

Cell-Sorb and Yesterday's News are very similar. The former you can get in a huge bag, for a great price. The only problem is the place I used to get it from no longer sells it. :weepy: