Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

potty training

piglvr

Cavy Slave
I was just wondering...how do you potty train a piggie? Do you just put a litter pan in the cage with some bedding and hope he goes in there or is there some kind of a strategy to get him to do his business in the pan? My pig goes wherever he pleases and I think he would be happier if it was all in one spot (and I would too!)

Momto3boys

Cavy Slave
Well generally pigs go potty where they eat, the easiest thing to do is buy a big enough litter box and put it under the hay racks and water bottles and put the food bowl close by as well, alot of people call it the "kitchen area", it won't contain all of their mess but definately most of it.

Haley0489

Cavy Slave
Most pigs will do all their business in one corner, so that's the corner you put your litterbox in. They also poo where they eat, so a kitchen area like Momto3boys mentioned would work too.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
The pigs have to have the want to potty train themselves or it won't work. No one can force them to go potty in any specific area. Sometimes people get lucky with "kitchen areas" although they may take away lap running space unless you build an extra 1x2 space on the end or side.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.