PDA

View Full Version : Happy new member!

Amethyst
10-15-08, 01:58 pm
Hi! I'm a new member here, and I'd like to share some things with all of you. =]
My name is Anna...I've been advised not to post my age, but I am under 18.
My Mom recently suggested that we buy a guinea pig...big shock for me! For years I've been begging her to let me have a pet, but with no avail. So I was and am very happy about it. :)
My Mom and I didn't know anything about guinea pigs, and she suggested that I do some research online, I did and guess where I ended up! Here!
I've been browsing this forum for awhile before I joined, and I see a lot of sad threads talking about guinea pigs in bad conditions and small cages, and I thought you all would like to hear a happy story!
I haven't gotten my guinea pigs yet, but from the information I have gathered on this site and forums I am buying all the 'right' things.
I plan on building a 2x4 cube cage with coroplast, getting two guinea pigs instead of one, bedding on fleece, getting Oxbow hay and pellets, sewing cozies and building tunnels...I'm going to feed my guinea pigs lots of veggies and let them have hours of free time every day. :D
Without this site I might have bought a pet store cage and the 'fun' food with all the colors...but not now!
We went shopping at the pet store last night (ended up buying a water bottle, how productive. :rolleyes: ) and every item I picked up I would say something about how it was bad for guinea pigs, or something else would be better...I must've sounded funny, my sister and Mom started laughing and asking me questions like, "How much hay does a guinea pig eat in a lifetime?" questions that I couldn't answer. :silly:
Well, I'm really rambling on here...but all this to say that I'm so glad to have found this site and this forum, and I plan to be a model caretaker of my soon-to-be-acquired piggies.
I'll post pigtures as soon as I finish my cage and get my piggies.
Any advice will be heartily welcomed. :)

starshine123102
10-15-08, 03:46 pm
Welcome Amethyst! You will find loads of great info on this forum.

Since you haven't gotten your piggies yet I will be the first to advise you not to make the mistake of getting your pigs from a pet store. ADOPT instead. Most pet store are sick and missexed and very mistreated. Look for pigs at your local rescue, guinea pig rescue if you are lucky enough to find one near by, craigslist and Petfinder.com are the best way to save a piggie!

Amethyst
10-15-08, 03:53 pm
Welcome Amethyst! You will find loads of great info on this forum.

Since you haven't gotten your piggies yet I will be the first to advise you not to make the mistake of getting your pigs from a pet store. ADOPT instead. Most pet store are sick and missexed and very mistreated. Look for pigs at your local rescue, guinea pig rescue if you are lucky enough to find one near by, craigslist and Petfinder.com are the best way to save a piggie!

Thanks!

My Mom's looking into where to buy them, I know I won't be buying from a pet store...another thing I learned here. ;)

starshine123102
10-15-08, 03:56 pm
Check petfinder.com, like I said earlier. Most rescuses, pig rescues, Humane societies, etc post their pets there.

Janelle
10-15-08, 04:20 pm
Welcome! I'll double what Starshine said. Please adopt, rather than buying. I'm so glad you're doing your research before you get them.

piggyluv
10-15-08, 06:14 pm
Welcome! Glad to hear that you're going to be doing all of the right things for your soon-to-be piggers!

dra&pigs
10-16-08, 02:09 pm
Good job on the research! Your pigs are garunteed to be happy and healthy when you get them! Please don't make the mistake I did and buy from a pet store. The pet store pig, Jeter, has cost me nearly $2,500 in vet costs, and all of his medical problems came from being housed improperly, without proper care or nutrition.

Amethyst
11-11-08, 04:59 pm
Today we got our piggies!!! :D
Yay!
We already have them named and everything, they're perfectly adorable...we got them from a lady who rescued a pregnant pig.

I have a little question though, we've only had them in their cage for less than an hour but they haven't moved at all...except one of them jumped into a cozy. I put carrots in front of them and they aren't eating...this is probably normal but I was wondering about how long it'll be before they start moving a bit? They're breathing really fast so I assume they're just scared, we're leaving them alone for awhile now.

starshine123102
11-11-08, 05:07 pm
Give them a day or so so that they can adjust. If they don't eat for more than a day though I would get concerned.

Good luck with your piggies!

hueyeats
11-11-08, 05:46 pm
Hi & welcome.
I am a fellow newbie myself and have my pigs for 6 weeks now.

Hope you enjoy your piggy(s) & share with it tons of love.

Deenanicole08
11-11-08, 06:50 pm
Guinea pigs always breath relatively fast since they have tiny lungs. Also they are most likely just afraid with all the new surroundings and people. Keep talking to them and trying to hold them and giving them veggies, they'll warm up. Also if you're afraid they aren't moving when you're away also, try putting some lettuce in the cage, then leave the room then come back a little later. If it's gone it's a sure sign you have nothing to worry about, they are just afraid.

hollywood
11-11-08, 06:56 pm
Hi I'm Kim. I've recently lost 2 pigs. I am looking to adopt another pig. I have 2 piggies now, both male. I have C&C cages, and have had pigs for over 7 yrs. I got my first pig at 36! I love them dearly, and have a soft spot for Peruvians....they are hard to find. I think because my first pig was a Peruvian who was extremely intelligent and learned his name. I just lost my last pig Friday, right after surgery. Hello to all.

starshine123102
11-11-08, 07:02 pm
Hollywood, I'm sorry to hear about your loss. Hope all goes well in your piggie search!

And welcome to the forum! You should start your own intro post and introduce us to your current piggies! :)

Jealoushe
11-11-08, 09:47 pm
Welcome! I'm new too...already read some great stuff!

Amethyst
11-12-08, 09:34 am
We named our pigs Toffee and Caramel. lol

Toffee is moving around a bit this morning, she's eating carrots, oranges and some pellets, but I haven't seen her drink any water or eat any hay. Caramel is still in the cozy where we left her last night, I assume that she did go out some time in the night but she refuses to come out now...Toffee is wheeking to her and a couple times she jumped in the cozy with her but she won't come out.
I also noticed two little white spots on my fleece, I've heard that white pee is a sign of sickness, is it possible that Caramel is sick? She looked perfectly fine and alert when we got her yesterday.

starshine123102
11-12-08, 12:48 pm
When it dries, feel if it is gritty. If it is she may have sludge or the start of stones. If it's powdery it's perfectly normal.

Amethyst
11-12-08, 03:22 pm
Thanks. Both Toffee and Caramel are now hanging out in the big hidey I made for them out of coroplast...every now and then you can see them darting to grab a carrot or a pellet, but at the slightest movement they'll run back into the hidey. They're very shy. ;)