Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

piggie won't stop chewing carpet!

piglvr

Cavy Slave
I just made my pig a C&C cage and he seems very happy. His old cage was waaaaay too small. I made him a 2x3 with a 1x2 loft. The loft is made out of leftover coroplast and a slab of carpet. While he loves the ramp, he keeps chewing on the carpet. Is this bad for him? I just don't want him to get sick. Also as I was watching him today, he started chewing on the hammock that I put in them. He likes to sit in it but also chew it. I just don't want him to get sick from these things. He has food in there so he shouldn't be hungry. What should I do?

Haley0489

Cavy Slave
My pigs "graze" on carpet too, I don't know why...I usually distract them so they'll stop, but since the carpet is in his cage that's pretty much impossible for you, lol. Is he actually chewing with the intent to ingest the carpet & hammock? Or is he just nibbling? They like to nibble out of curiosity.

AnimalHouse36

Cavy Slave
If he ingests it it could cause bloackage. I would switch to loose bedding or fleece just to be safe.

piglvr

Cavy Slave
I'm sorry i meant to say his ramp is made out of leftover coroplast and a carpet slab-not his loft. what else could i make his ramp out of so so doesn't slip when walking on it?

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Attach a couple layers of fleece to the ramp on top of the coroplast. That will give the needed traction.

piglvr

Cavy Slave
will be start chewing the fleece then?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.