Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

When do babies start eating hay, pellets, veggies?

kgplucker

Cavy Slave
We had a litter today. I'm just wondering how long until they start eating the hay, pellets, and fresh veggies?
Thanks,
Kim

Bennalaya

Cavy Slave
Hi, Kim! I'm a brand new baby slave myself. Must be something in the air this week. Abby had her babies on Tuesday. Two pups, but one sadly did not make it.

Little Indie began foraging on hay and sampling some of her mother's lettuce the first day. On the second day she discovered the pellet dish. Today I taught her how to use the water bottle and she took right to it. She didn't nurse the first day, but was nursing the second day.

If you're able to, when you feed the momma, watch what the pups do. They should follow her to the dish. That's how Indie discovered the lettuce. She was be-bopping right along behind Abby and sort of ran into a leaf of lettuce and nibbled on it out of curiosity. Once she realized it was pretty tasty she ate some.

Weigh the pups daily on a small kitchen scale to check the progression of their weight. They usually drop in weight slightly the first couple of days, but begin to gain weight at a slow rate the third day. I have found that with the pups, it's best to weigh in grams rather than ounces for a more accurate reading, since sometimes the scale will hover between ounces.

kgplucker

Cavy Slave
Our kitchen area is the 2nd floor of the cage. The pups haven't even come close to venturing up there! Momma has been up there quite a bit regaining her strength. They have hardly come out of their cozy corner. Perhaps if they don't go up there tomorrow I should put food on the first floor? Or just wait and see what happens. She's been nursing very well.

Res Judicata

Cavy Slave
I'd put some stuff in the bottom, just to be sure. And plus if they don't go up there and have no inclination to because everything is on the 1st floor, it gives Mom a place to go when she needs to get away from the kids.

kgplucker

Cavy Slave
I just put Mom and kids in a seperate area out of the cage with a little bit of hay and some parsley. They are definitely paying attention. All 3 have nibbled at the hay and although they just want to nurse instead of eat greens - I think it's good for them to see her eating. I will start splitting the meals between the 2 floors so that my other piggie can go upstairs to get away from the new ones.

Thanks for all the advice. I'll let you know how it goes!

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
They should at least start trying to eat hay and pellets within hours. Veggies within a day or two.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.