Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Shelter Cavy- Missing fur behind ears and sore on back?

krystia

Cavy Slave
We just adopted a new guinea pig from the shelter. He's about a year old, and the shelter said he was given in by his old owner. We got him as a future friend for my other, older male guinea pig. If we have to, we're willing to keep him in a separate cage if they never learn to get along. Of course, he's in quarantine for the next few weeks, and we're watching him for illness.

He's extremely friendly, and he even runs over to greet us. Unlike my other piggy, Popcorn enjoys being held and spending time with the family. He's much less independent compared to Tyran, our older pig.

Upon taking Popcorn home, though, we noticed a few things that we didn't see when at the shelter. He's missing a few tuffs of fur behind his ears, and he has a healed (or mostly healed) mark on his back I think might be a wound. Before, his fur was covering it, but I cleaned it up a bit and moved the fur to see it better. We're looking for a guinea pig vet (the one I know of recently moved) to have a look at him tomorrow, just in case. I took pictures, to see if any of you have any ideas as to what might have happened. To me, it looks like he might have been in a scuffle or something. My current guinea pig has never been sick or injured before, so I'm not certain.

He's a sweet, lovely little guy, and I want to make sure he's healthy, too!

His missing fur behind the ears:

And his sore on his back.

The sore seems completely healed over, but it still looks like a sore. Should we be worried, or just take him to the vet when we find out the best one still in the area? Should we be taking certain precautions? I've never had an injured pig before, and other than the wound, he acts extremely happy and ordinary.

Last edited:

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
The bald spots behind the ears are normal. All pigs are bald behind the ears.

The spot on his rump though is another matter. A vet visit would be a good thing.

krystia

Cavy Slave
Oh, really? It's not as pronounced in Tyran, so I guess I never thought much about it! That's a big relief.

Should I try and keep the area clean, or treat it somehow? Or would it be better to just leave it alone? It's not an open sore- it's healed over, yet still present. I'm not really sure what it is, to be honest. His current "quarantine" cage uses Carefresh bedding, so I'm not worried about that possibly irritating the sore as much as the hay could. He likes to climb all over his hay and play with it, so I'm not sure if that could irritate his sore or not. Should I take some kind of precaution against that, or is it not really an issue? Just until we can get him a vet, I mean.

We're also trying to decide which would be better: delaying his vet trip a few days to find the best guinea pig vet in the area, or taking him to the first vet who treats guinea pigs that we can find. Which do you think is the better idea?

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
If he's not messing with it, I wouldn't do anything to it myself, but I would get him to a vet with guinea pig experience straight away.

fieryone

Cavy Slave
I have no idea at all. I just wanted to comment on what a gorgeous pig he is! I've only noticed white pigs with red eyes. He's just beautiful with the dark eyes! (at least they look dark to me in the photo)

krystia

Cavy Slave
Thanks, everyone! Yes, his eyes are black. He's gorgeous, in my opinion.

I took him to the vet, and it's an overactive oil gland that spread larger than ordinary, if I remember right. It's harmless, although we need to clean him every day. Popcorn will be fine!

Janelle

Cavy Slave
Yay! That's weird but good news.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.