Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Blood in urine?

SDCavy

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone, I could use some advice. About 2 weeks ago, after floor time, I noticed that there was blood on the floor. (We have dark fleece and didn't know how long this was going on.) I took both girls to the vet's office, because I wasn't sure who had the blood. The vet took urine and determined that both had blood in their urine. While he was surprised to find blood in both, he determined that it was a UTI. He gave them both shots and put them on antibiotics for 10 days. After 10 days, we stopped the medicine. (We put paper towels down in the cage and there was no blood.) Now, 4 days later, (again after floor time) we noticed more blood. I have enough medicine to start the medicine again. Should I take them back to the vet? Is it weird that there is only blood after floor time?

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
How old are they? Are they related?

theresaj

Cavy Slave
Were they checked for UTI and bladder stones?

SDCavy

Cavy Slave
Were they checked for UTI and bladder stones?

He took some of their urine and did a dip stick test. He said there was bacteria, but when he showed me the dip stick, the change color wasn't that strong for bacteria (in my opinion.) The diagnosis was UTI.

Drawingwords

Cavy Slave
Sorry, I'm kind of having the same kind of thing going on so I wanted to ask some questions. Did your bloody urine look like the picture in my post? Also, did they squeal while they were peeing on the floor?

SDCavy

Cavy Slave
Sorry, I'm kind of having the same kind of thing going on so I wanted to ask some questions. Did your bloody urine look like the picture in my post? Also, did they squeal while they were peeing on the floor?

Mine looks different then yours. It is more concentrated. I have never noticed any squealing either. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

We also just took them back in from floor time and noticed more blood. I guess it is time to go back to the doctor.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.