Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Cystitis??

• Thread starter dextersmycutegp
  • Start date

dextersmycutegp

Cavy Slave
Wow, I haven't been on in long time. Goodness. Well now I'm kinda hopefully back!

So the latest piggy trauma has occurred. Dexter has been peeing large amounts of red-ness. I took him to the vet, she palpated his bladder (he would leap forward squeaking every time she touched his bladder), took x-rays (which showed nothing) and he stayed there for the day to get a urine sample and for observation.
The urine sample didn't have any blood in it (it wasn't red, but I had separated him for a day on a white towel so I know it's him) and there wasn't a high amount of calcium crystals or anything that would signal stones and there wasn't any bacteria or whatever that would tell her that he has a UTI.
She ended up sending him home with Metcam to be given whenever he seems to be in pain (he usually squeaks when he pees). And she diagnosed him with Cystitis, where the lining of his bladder is really sensitive and gets irritated easily causing blood. I gave him the metcam for week and the bleeding/redness/squeaking gradually stopped.

Now, a month or so later he's squeaking and peeing red again. I gave him more Metcam and I'm calling the vet tomorrow, but does anyone have expierence with this sort of thing? Any ideas that might lead to a solution?

Thanks for reading! Sorry it's so long...
I took a picture of it with my phone if that helps at all...

Janelle

Cavy Slave
Ok, it isn't my guinea pig, but I have cystitis, too. It is definitely intermittent like with him, and there's no cure, so he'll probably have trouble with it indefinitely. One thing that can flare it up is anything acidy, so you might want to pull him permanently off of tomatoes. Also, if you give him anything citrus, I'd pull that, too. I hope this helps, and I hope the little guy does better.

dextersmycutegp

Cavy Slave
Thanks for your helpful reply! :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.