Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Smelly Dog

Miss Piggy

Cavy Slave
I don't know how many of you are dog owners out there in the cavy community, but I do know of one or two of you that has mentioned their dogs once on this site.

Here's my beef: I have a dog that is half German shephard, half Alaskan Malamute. She's rather big and has profuse fur. She gets pretty smelly quite often, but I don't want to give her a bath everytime or I'd be giving bathes close to 4 days a week , and it would dry out her skin too much.

Does anybody know a safe alternative I could use besides bathing to control her odor? I heard they have an ionic pet brush that is supposed to get rid of odor. But what about powder baths or pet bath wet wipes?

citronsoul

Cavy Slave
We use an ionic pet brush & that definitely softens the smell. Our dog loves getting his daily brushing & we love how he's not as stinky afterwards!

I think that's the easiest solution with a big dog. We tried wet wipes but they didn't work so well.

kavykritter

Cavy Slave
what exactly is an "ionic brush"?

citronsoul

Cavy Slave
(broken link removed)

DocDolittle

Cavy Slave
You could brush him more often. Often times the smells come fromm the top layer of fur, so by removing that fur, it definitely softens the smell.

AngelsCavies

Cavy Slave
I have a German shepard and Golden retreiver mix and I bathe her every month. Does you dog go outside alot. if he does than that explains it. I used to bathe my other dog once a week cause he loves getting muddy. It wont hurt them just as long as you use dog shampoo that has medication to prevent dry skin.

Miss Piggy

Cavy Slave
AngelsCavies said:
I have a German shepard and Golden retreiver mix and I bathe her every month. Does you dog go outside alot. if he does than that explains it. I used to bathe my other dog once a week cause he loves getting muddy. It wont hurt them just as long as you use dog shampoo that has medication to prevent dry skin.
I let her go outside only when I walk her since before she used to roll in poo. I only let her outside for maybe 15-20 on a walk, I didn't think that would get her too smelly.

Auzziefreak

Cavy Slave
I spray tea tree oil in my dogs fur..a formula made for dogs of course..and it untangles the hair as well.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.