Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

How do you clean water bottles?

Deenanicole08

Cavy Slave
So I've been wondering this a while, how do you clean and sanitize water bottles? Now that I'm getting a second piggy tomorrow I'm getting everything cleaned and ready and sanitized to put in her quarantine cage. I don't want to go buy another bottle since I have 3 already and 2 being unused. The one I have now I just brush it out a little with bleach if it starts to get dirty and then I rinse it thoroughly. Is that good enough? Or can they go in the dishwasher, will that clean them good? and what do I do about the nozzle part? How can I clean that?

Haley0489

Cavy Slave
Did you do a forum search? This question has been asked hundreds of times.

(broken link removed)

A popular way is a little bit of rice and water; shake, shake, shake and rinse.

Deenanicole08

Cavy Slave
Well I'm still exploring the site and wasn't sure of how to go about doing a search like that, But I looked at all the stickies and didn't see anything.

Thanks!

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
You can also put some very diluted vinegar in them for an extra measure and use rice along with this method then rinse many times. Put the rice and diluted vinegar in at the same time, pop the top on, shake the heck out of it a few times, turn upside down and push the nozzle a few times to get the vinegar/water to go through the spout a few times, then open, dump and rinse. I've gotten to where I do this and the bottles come out nice.

Vinegar is a great natural cleaner, deodorizer and antibacterial agent.

auburnmare5

Cavy Slave
You can dillute vinegar with water, and putting it in the bottle. You can use a bottle brush too.

OliversMommy

Cavy Slave
Wow, I never heard of the vinegar cleaning! I need to try that, then. But what I usually do is just put some rice into the water bottle, and then shake it for a minute or two. It cleans it out really good.

Ly&PIgs,
You said:
"You can also put some very diluted vinegar in them for an extra measure and use rice along with this method then rinse many times."

How diluted should you make the vinegar? And how do you know if you have rinsed it ALL OUT?

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
I don't measure, I just put in about half to a whole small spoonful in, then fill about 1/2 the bottle with water. When I've shaken it half to death, then I rinse with very hot water about 10-12 times.

PoshPawsCavys

Cavy Slave
I use a few drops of bleach in a bucket of water. I take each bottle apart and make sure each section is cleaned with a baby bottle brush. I have 32 cages so am a fanatic about not spreading any germs at all.

krystia

Cavy Slave
I use a few drops of bleach in a bucket of water. I take each bottle apart and make sure each section is cleaned with a baby bottle brush. I have 32 cages so am a fanatic about not spreading any germs at all.

Thirty-two cages? That's a ton. Why do you have so many?

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
Vinegar kills germs and bacterias just as well as bleach and is safer for the pigs and the environment.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
I'll have to try vinegar. I usually use rice, and/or scrub really good with a bottle brush.

krystia - Posh is a breeder. That's why they have so many.

wheekers01

Cavy Slave
hey. I use a baby bottle brush! Works like a charm! The top handle pulls out so you can clean the nozzle part. It works great for me!:cheerful:

Deenanicole08

Cavy Slave
Well I decided to invest in some vinegar and a bottle brush, with the nozzle brust that came with it. I feel safer now because I was using very diluted bleach and rinishing them really well and boiling them. Now I feel safe knowing it's just vinegar!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.