PDA

View Full Version : I just joined.

SNAKE CHARMER
10-04-08, 04:44 pm
Hello all guinea pig people.First off i do not own any type of rodent my passion is snakes & monitors(i currently own a colombian red-tail boa named tarzan,a ball python named salazar,a kenyen sand-boa named houdini,and a savanna monitor lizard named lois.)so your all probably wondering why i'm here.My half brother has a young guinea pig and my mom asked me to find info on them so i came here.So could you guys tell me some basic care.

SNAKE CHARMER
10-04-08, 06:32 pm
The threads been up for awhile and has got some views so why isn't anyone replying my mom has really been bugging me about finding info for my brothers guinea pig so could you guys please help me.If this is about me keeping snakes then calm down i didn't come here to rave about how my snakes eat rats i'm here trying to find info on guinea pigs.

WICavy
10-04-08, 06:43 pm
Check out http://www.guinealynx.info all the care info your looking for is there :D

SNAKE CHARMER
10-04-08, 06:54 pm
Check out http://www.guinealynx.info all the care info your looking for is there :D

Thanks i'll tell my brother no offense to anyone here but,i can't stand rodents.

WICavy
10-04-08, 06:55 pm
Hey to each his own :D I can't stand snakes and lizzards LOL

Good luck to your brother and his new piggie!

piggyluv
10-04-08, 06:58 pm
You should look around this site and www.cavyspirit.com, it'll tell you lots.

SNAKE CHARMER
10-04-08, 07:00 pm
Hey to each his own :D I can't stand snakes and lizzards LOL

Good luck to your brother and his new piggie!

Yeah guess your right you'd probably hate it at my house my monitor lizard grows to 4ft long & my colombian(who is my favorite)will be 6-7ft as an adult.As for my brothers guinea pig my mom checked and its supposedly a female i think he named her rexie or something.

Deenanicole08
10-04-08, 08:03 pm
I feel like snakes and lizzards and those animals aren't exactly pets, cause I dont want to pet them. They aren't fuzzy and soft lol.

But hey, I'm not that one who has them so what do I care. :)

Ly&Pigs
10-04-08, 09:06 pm
There's something about your posts that just bothers me. Call it intuition.

If it's your brothers guinea pig, then why isn't he on here looking for info?

Basically just read the stickies in all the forum sections and read the threads in the reference forum. The answers to all the basic questions can be found that way.

Taboo
10-04-08, 09:28 pm
If it's your brothers guinea pig, then why isn't he on here looking for info?

I thought that too. maybe because his brother is young? Do keep your reptiles away from the guinea pig...

WICavy
10-04-08, 10:43 pm
haha Yeah, I probably wouldn't like it at your house! The only thing I like less then reptiles are bugs (but that's just border line phobia stuff) :D

Rexie is a cute name; if you get a chance you should post a picture of her. I think it's safe to say everyone around here love cute piggie pictures. As a few others mentioned try to get your brother on here too (unless of course he's too young). :)

SNAKE CHARMER
10-05-08, 11:55 am
I do not allow my brother on my computer.The guinea pig is downstairs in his room & my reptiles are upstairs in my room.As for the person that said you can't really pet a reptile there wrong i handle my snakes three days a week for 15 minutes each and they are extremely tame and calm pretty much everyone with a snake handles them because there are only a few species that are known to be aggressive also,it gets the snake used to human interaction and makes the snake less stressful around humans further more it is extremely fun to see there grace and beauty up close and personal.Yes i have been bit by my colombian and ball python but,it was my mistake not theres and now my colombian is the tamest snake i own and i'm hoping to get a female colombian for christmas so i can start a breeding project.My savanna monitor lizard grows to 3-4ft but,monitors are known to be like dogs and bond with there owners so far mine is very tame.I have no camera so no pics yet.

SNAKE CHARMER
10-05-08, 12:03 pm
There's something about your posts that just bothers me. Call it intuition. .

Well i just know someones gonna ask me this so i'll answer it now.Yes my snakes eat rodents the rodents are humanely prekilled and do not suffer.I do not feed live because live rodents can kill or injur a snake.No i have not fed a guinea pig to any of my snakes they are a little too fury and might cause inpaction.

WICavy
10-05-08, 12:13 pm
I'm sure others on this site will completely disagree with me, but all animals have to eat and for some that means other animals. No judgement from me.

SNAKE CHARMER
10-05-08, 12:18 pm
I'm sure others on this site will completely disagree with me, but all animals have to eat and for some that means other animals. No judgement from me.

Very true and atleast my snakes only eat once a week wall your rodents eat every day.It is not exspensive to buy frozen rodents at all every friday I just thaw some rodents out in some hot water then offer it on tongs then my snakes eat it all in one piece wall your rodents make one big messlol .

dra&pigs
10-05-08, 01:48 pm
"Wall"? What is "wall"? I'm assuming that you don't mean something that holds up a house...?

Deenanicole08
10-05-08, 02:02 pm
I think he meant *while*

AnimalHouse36
10-05-08, 02:24 pm
I'm hoping to get a female colombian for christmas so i can start a breeding project.

I strongly hope you don't breed. I'm not sure if there is an overpopulation but I do beleive snakes have alot of babies.

I just read up on some breeding. Have you? 10-30 in a litter. How do you plan on rehoming them? I doubt you plan on keeping them! Will you be able to take out all the baby snakes so they won't be eaten? It seems to me you haven't really read up on it. I doubt your parents (if you still live with them) would be to happy if you had to eep them all becasue you don't have enough homes for them.

Would you be sure the homes would take care of them properly? I'm sure there are risks to your female in such a situation and there is absolutly no guarentee your snake will even breed.

I know most people on this site beleive that these animals are not fit to be pets.

VoodooJoint
10-05-08, 03:06 pm
i'm hoping to get a female colombian for christmas so i can start a breeding project. If you haven't yet read the rules do it NOW! We do not support breeding nor allow breeding discussion.

Don't be one of the idiots adding to the animal overpopulation problem and aiding the sales of wild and exotic animals into the pet trade. It's selfish and irresponsible.

SNAKE CHARMER
10-05-08, 05:14 pm
Moderater i'm very sorry it won't happen again and colombians aren't known to be cannabilistic.I already know of people that will buy them and the exotic pet store I go to might take some too.It is true that giving birth can take alot out of a female boa but,if shes of good weight and health then she'll breed with flying colors.One last word yes there are wild caught animals in the pet trade and it is bad that is exactly why exotic pet owners should try to breed there exotics if they are healthy and if the owner has sufficent time,space,& money this helps reduce the amount of wild caughts.Again i am sorry from now on i won't speak of breeding on this site again.

AnimalHouse36
10-05-08, 05:29 pm
SO your going to hand them off to a petstore?! Where the people there give them to uneducated people and don't even check up on them? All so you can have some baby boa's and maybe earn a bit extra cash? Psh, yeah ok.

Yes, at leat in what I have read, the mother boa may mistake her young for a still born and eat it even if its alive.

SNAKE CHARMER
10-05-08, 06:00 pm
SO your going to hand them off to a petstore?! Where the people there give them to uneducated people and don't even check up on them? All so you can have some baby boa's and maybe earn a bit extra cash? Psh, yeah ok.

Yes, at leat in what I have read, the mother boa may mistake her young for a still born and eat it even if its alive.

The pet store i go is extremely experienced and breeds healthy animals and i will offer care advice to anyone who asks.I'm in this for the experience of it and want nothing more than to decrease the amount of wildcaughts in the pet trade.I love all my animals dearly and they come first if you think i'm just in it for some extra cash then you are wrong.Also the babies are always seperated from the parents first thing unless there still absorbing the yoke were they'll be placed in a quiet area to finish the yoke quitly.

AnimalHouse36
10-05-08, 06:08 pm
The only way to decrease thw wild animals caught in the world is to have none anywhere. There will always be demands for them. I have been in a heated intro before and don't wish to get into this here. If you would like to continue this discussion then please, by all means, PM a moderator to have it moved to the kitchen. Until then, I am going to hold my tounge on all this.

SNAKE CHARMER
10-05-08, 06:29 pm
Let us agree to disagree we have different views.There are better ways than your suggestion but,again lets stop this argument.

crazywiggy
10-06-08, 10:04 am
Hi and welcome to the forum. I think its nice of you to do some research for your brother, especially as you don't even like small furries yourself. (I like everything - furries, reptiles, even tarantulas).

For basic care info I would suggest going through this forum, into all the care sections (i.e. diet, bedding, cages, health, etc). In each section there are "sticky" threads at the top which will give you the info you need.

Anything not covered by the stickies can usually be found elsewhere throughout the forum - just look through the appropriate section or do a forum search. If you have any more questions you can always post and people will be happy to help.

The links you have been given are also good - GL is especially detailed about health care.

SNAKE CHARMER
10-06-08, 02:30 pm
Hi and welcome to the forum. I think its nice of you to do some research for your brother, especially as you don't even like small furries yourself. (I like everything - furries, reptiles, even tarantulas).

I'm looking for info for him because my mom won't let me rest untill i find info trust me my brother is the last person i'd be doing a favor for.Finally someone agrees with me that reptiles are cool i'm also a fan of tarantulas my favorite are the pink-toes & striped knee.

auburnmare5
10-06-08, 04:34 pm
Snake Charmer. If you go to the main page of this site: guineapigcages.com , you can find alot of info.
Also, if you look around on the forum, look at stickies, and threads for answers to some of your questions.

Paula
10-06-08, 05:05 pm
Snake Charmer - if you're really just looking to get information on your brother's guinea pig, why not just read the information that's available and learn, rather than posting about your reptiles and your plans to breed them and how they eat rodents that are "humanely pre-killed"?

If it's only information you seek, I don't understand the need to share all the other things that are obviously and blatantly potentially upsetting to folks here.

SNAKE CHARMER
10-06-08, 06:25 pm
Snake Charmer - if you're really just looking to get information on your brother's guinea pig, why not just read the information that's available and learn, rather than posting about your reptiles and your plans to breed them and how they eat rodents that are "humanely pre-killed"?

If it's only information you seek, I don't understand the need to share all the other things that are obviously and blatantly potentially upsetting to folks here.

I just wanted to make it clear the rodent wasn't mine and it is the introductions so i thought i'd tell a little about myself besides.We all know someone was gonna ask me about feeding sooner or later so i went ahead and answered it.And are you asking how the rodents are pre-killed because i can tell you and even thought its painless you probably won't like it.

Janelle
10-06-08, 06:53 pm
Nobody ever asked anything about it. We all know what snakes eat. You're just trying to stir things up. This is a guinea pig forum, not a snake one.

SNAKE CHARMER
10-06-08, 09:04 pm
Nobody ever asked anything about it. We all know what snakes eat. You're just trying to stir things up. This is a guinea pig forum, not a snake one.

I'm not here to stir anything up i'm just here for information.I joined because my mom or brother might have questions that are not covered in caresheets so i'd have to ask you guys.

Ly&Pigs
10-06-08, 11:20 pm
This is a guinea pig forum. If you have questions that are guinea pig related, ask them and we will point you in the right direction. Please stop calling them rodents. They are cavies or guinea pigs.

You've already been told to read all the stickies in all the forums. Also go to www.guinealynx.info and print out the care guide.

I've heard more than I want to about your reptiles. This is a guinea pig forum, not a reptile forum, so please enough with the snakes and lizards and such.

SNAKE CHARMER
10-07-08, 05:29 am
You've already been told to read all the stickies in all the forums. Also go to www.guinealynx.info (http://www.guinealynx.info) and print out the care guide. .

I don't have a printer.Those care guides are too long and kinda boring reading stuff about guinea pigs.I just want a short summary of basic care that i can jot down and give to my brother.

Percy's Mom
10-07-08, 08:01 am
If you're bored reading, or too lazy to do the reading, you're not helping anyone learn anything. Give the links to your brother and either have him read them and take notes on his own or print out the information on his own. There is no short basic summary. If you want to help your brother learn what he needs about guinea pigs, there are a lot of details that he needs to know.

banjosnotbombs
10-07-08, 08:15 am
Welcome to the forums!

I just want a short summary of basic care that i can jot down and give to my brother.

I'm sure you know, with caring for reptiles, that a basic summary isn't even close to how in depth their care is.
It's the same way with guinea pigs, and all animals.

This is an excellent care guide
http://www.guinealynx.info/healthycavy.html

Maybe if your brother isn't interested in learning these things himself, he's really not interested in caring for guinea pigs?

RainKindle
10-07-08, 11:29 am
My half brother has a young guinea pig and my mom asked me to find info on them so i came here.
Since you are too selfish to let your brother use your computer, and your mother asked you to take responsibility and find some information, I respectfully ask you to get your act together and do so.
Guinea pigs require a lot of care and dedication. Just as much as reptiles, if not more, and I am no foreigner to reptiles.
It sounds like your mother is putting you in a position in which you are responsible for your brother's guinea pig's welfare.
I'm sorry the research required bores you.
However, as a member of this community, I ask that you take care of business, and stick to the matter at hand. Your brother's guinea pig.
This isn't about your issues with cavies or reptiles, this is about you taking care of your responsibility of properly educating your family members.
You don't have to read it if you print it and give it to them. Find a way to do it, and do it properly and completely.
You don't need to bait this community further.

Paula
10-07-08, 11:58 am
trust me my brother is the last person i'd be doing a favor for.

Sounds to me like this is just a kid looking to stir things up. We've told him what to do and given plenty of links to proper resources and places to get the information s/he claims to be looking to find. Maybe at this point we should stop replying and giving him/her opportunities to offend.

SNAKE CHARMER
10-07-08, 03:59 pm
Listen i'm not here to stir things up and thanks for the links and such i don't like guinea pigs so i don't like reading about them as for reptiles there alot more interesting to read about i've got tons of books of them.My brother isn't aloud on my computer because he tore up my last computer second i'm the only one who knows how to use this thing.My brother doesn't take care of any pets he gets so my mom usually has to take care of it so i don't know why he even gets them even thought i don't like the guniea pig i hate to see it suffer so don't blame me.Anyway my mom wants to know some recomended brands of food and such now so whats recomended?

AnimalHouse36
10-07-08, 04:06 pm
Listen i'm not here to stir things up and thanks for the links and such i don't like guinea pigs so i don't like reading about them as for reptiles there alot more interesting to read about i've got tons of books of them.My brother isn't aloud on my computer because he tore up my last computer second i'm the only one who knows how to use this thing.My brother doesn't take care of any pets he gets so my mom usually has to take care of it so i don't know why he even gets them even thought i don't like the guniea pig i hate to see it suffer so don't blame me.Anyway my mom wants to know some recomended brands of food and such now so whats recomended?

If your moter is letting your brother get pigs when she knows she's going to end up taking care of them then why didn't your mom do some research?

Good pellet food are : Oxbow
Sweet Meadows is acceptble
and Kleen Mama's is great.

If you guinea pig is under six months she can have alfalfa based pellets.

SNAKE CHARMER
10-07-08, 04:31 pm
If your moter is letting your brother get pigs when she knows she's going to end up taking care of them then why didn't your mom do some research?

Good pellet food are : Oxbow
Sweet Meadows is acceptble
and Kleen Mama's is great.

If you guinea pig is under six months she can have alfalfa based pellets.

She doesn't know how to use a computer.My brother just begs and she gets it for him(i take care of my animals but,he can't take care of even one).Thanks for the recomendations.

banjosnotbombs
10-08-08, 08:15 am
Please don't forget that they need grass hay 24/7(such as timothy).
Oxbow hay is pretty good, and so is KleenMama's. You could try a farm feed store for inexpensive hay, as well.
Most of the common hays I've seen in pet stores, such as Hagen or something, is really poor quality. Look for something that's dry, green and grassy.
Please still read the links, or just bring them up and have your mother read them. Assist her in using your computer or something.

ETA:
Kleen Mama's
http://www.kmshayloft.com/

Oxbow
http://www.oxbowhay.com There's a store locator at the top of the page.

SNAKE CHARMER
10-08-08, 07:15 pm
Ok thanks my brother and mother have left for ohio(they do that every week)and they left the guinea pig here.It probably don't have any water.And how do you get those avartars off?I went to the control panel and i guess accidentaly put it on so how do you get them off.

Bennalaya
10-08-08, 08:10 pm
Ok thanks my brother and mother have left for ohio(they do that every week)and they left the guinea pig here.It probably don't have any water.

Well for heaven's sake, check and see! If it doesn't have constant access to water it could become dehydrated and die. I'm sorry if guinea pigs bore you and you don't like them. There is a living creature in your care and it cannot take care of itself.

I have a very serious recommendation - and I'm trying to find the kindest way possible to phrase this. If your mom wants to know about what she can do to care for that Guinea Pig, it needs another home. Your brother is obviously not old enough to care for it himself, nor do I get the impression he really cares to. You don't like guinea pigs and don't seem very concerned if it even has water. Your mom is probably begrudgingly taking minimal care of this pet, at best, since your brother is not.

Your brother is not old enough to use the computer on his own to look up how to care for his pet. He's not old enough to be expected to tend to this animal. If your mother truly wanted to provide the best care for this animal, she would be on here herself, not expecting you to do it for her.

I understand you don't like guinea pigs. Not everyone does. We don't have to like the same animals, but I'm having a hard time maintaining my composure when I know that there is a living animal in your home that is not being taken care of properly and you're solely responsible for providing your mother with information on care that you don't even want to search for.

Guinea pigs need very special love and care. They need an appropriate cage. They need a good diet. They need adequate bedding. They need routine vet care. They need another guinea pig for a cage mate. They need time every day to run around and play on the floor. If your family cannot or will not provide these basic needs then the humane thing to do would be to find a family that perhaps already has a guinea pig or more of the same gender of your brother's guinea pig that want to take the guinea pig in.

If your mom is willing to do all of the work herself then she needs to join or at least search through the sticky topics and print off some care sheets and medical references and cage recommendations and take action so that the poor baby can have the best life possible.

CritterCraze
10-08-08, 10:15 pm

Just nature. I 100% agree snakes have to eat too. I really like snakes but don't have the heart to feed them their natural diet so that's why I don't own one. That's totally cool your rats/mice are humanely euthanize before feeding. I've never heard of that before I hope it's common practice these days :D

CritterCraze
10-08-08, 10:31 pm
Not to double post but the posting rules here are stricter then I'm used to. Didn't know there was a certain amount of time to edit. So I had to double post because I hate typos and I always reread my posts :P

I wanted to add....

And I'm a newbie here so not going to get into the care part of things as I've never owned a cavy. Although I do have a hamster :p Sucks that no one seems to be taking full responsiblity for taking care of the poor pig. I understand you were put in this position and it's not a choice. I hope your mom ends up caring and giving enough of the attention cavy's need. I know a lot of parents end up falling in love with the pets, and it ends up being there's once the kid loses interest. I just hate hearing of pets getting rehomed over and over. I make my home forever homes for all my pets!!

I hope for the best ;)

banjosnotbombs
10-09-08, 07:15 am
Ok thanks my brother and mother have left for ohio(they do that every week)and they left the guinea pig here.It probably don't have any water.And how do you get those avartars off?I went to the control panel and i guess accidentaly put it on so how do you get them off.

*sigh* Please please please take care of that guinea pig.
I have to agree with Bennalaya, I think rehoming is the best option for your family. You can gather the basic information you learn here, post an ad on Craigslist or GuineaPigHome, with rehoming requirements.
I hope it doesn't offend you that we're saying this, but while I don't know your circumstances, what you've said it truly seems that the guinea pig is unwanted.

http://www.guineapighome.com/
http://www.craigslist.com
You might even find a rescue near your area that would be taking in yours in.

Avatars... I think under My Profile.

SNAKE CHARMER
10-09-08, 02:06 pm
Yes you can buy pre-killed rodents at most pet stores.It is a common practice since one you have a lower risk of the rodent hurting your reptile two pre-killed is pretty cheap but at the same time has the same nutritional qualities as live does.My brother will not rehome the guinea pig(I agree it is best)because hes just that selfish.I will admitt the guinea pig is sorta interesting but nothing compared to my reptiles.I'll feed and give it water(great now I'm going soft).

katiewilson
10-09-08, 02:10 pm
Ok thanks my brother and mother have left for ohio(they do that every week)and they left the guinea pig here.It probably don't have any water.

Um. Yikes. Either this is the most unfortunate little guinea pig in the world (left alone with someone who openly dislikes them...and perhaps without water), or you are, in fact, trying very hard to get a rise out of this forum's members. I mean, c'mon.

Assuming you haven't been lying from the start, you need to have a serious heart-to-heart with your family about rehoming the poor gp.

crazywiggy
10-09-08, 02:45 pm
Maybe I am just naieve to accept people at their word and assume they are honest - but I can see this situation as sadly a likely possibility.

Seeing as Snakecharmer is still living with parents, chances are he has very little say in what goes on in the household. He can't force his brother to take better care of his pets, nor can he force him to rehome them. I sympathise - having to watch a scenario you know is wrong but not able to really do much about it. And then being blamed for it on a forum when you are the only one actually trying to help this animal seems kinda harsh.

Snakecharmer - please just do the best you can. Get the most important information - the right food, the right bedding, the right cage etc and do what you can to make sure the piggie gets them. Whether or not you like guinea pigs, he is still a sentient creature capable of experiencing pain, fear, boredom etc.

I just want to say thanks for making the effort for an animal you don't even like, owned by a brother you don't seem to like, bought by a mother you don't seem to respect, and despite the criticism from the people you came to for help.

SNAKE CHARMER
10-09-08, 05:41 pm
I would have been more specific at the time but,my computer has been stupid lately so i'm afraid to do any long winded posts(but I think i've got it straightened out now). My grandparent are my main guardians and my mom and brother live with us. My grand parents agree that my brother is not a good pet owner. As for critism its no big deal I've had my fair share of critism from non reptile people so it doesn't really bother me. I'll do what I can but,I'm telling you right now I won't be the next owner.

Bennalaya
10-09-08, 08:39 pm
Snake Charmer, I know you're sort of caught in the middle of this. I know I was pretty stern in my last post, but it isn't that I'm trying to criticize you, it's just that the situation sounds pretty awful.

While your brother may not decide to surrender the guinea pig to a rescue shelter on his own volition, your mother may have to make that decision for him. It's not fair to anyone in the situation. It's unfair for the animal and it's unfair for anyone else in the home who is having to begrudgingly take on the burden of caring for the guinea pig.

khptown
10-09-08, 09:39 pm
I'd hate to have a missing guinea pig in that house! I suppose snakes do not pose a guinea pig much more of a threat than a dog or cat though. My brother had a corn snake when he was younger. Snakes are awesome. Unfortunately, his ran away (actually slithered away). When my family moved from that house 4 years later, we found multiple shedded skins behind the 2 ton piano. It wouldn't surprise me one bit to know that snake was still alive 10 years later. Watching a snake eat a live mouse is really awesome and offers great stimulation for the snake. I do hope you give your snakes live prey (not the guinea pig please) every so often. Good luck with the continued care of your snakes, and the teaching of your mom and brother.

Taboo
10-09-08, 09:47 pm
Watching a snake eat a live mouse is really awesome and offers great stimulation for the snake. I do hope you give your snakes live prey (not the guinea pig please) every so often.

Um, I do hope you realize how sick that sounded. Watching a mouse get eaten is awesome? Why do you find that watching the death of an animal (and it being YOUR fault) amusing? It's pretty sad how many sickos there are in the world. I don't find anything about a mouse dying a painful terrfiying death "awesome".

And who he heck cares about the snakes stimulation? I sure don't. They shouldn't even BE kept as pets!

Guinea pigs are more special than a mouse or rat? I don't see how. I love of nearly all animals (I even like corn snakes but I'd nevr keep one as a pet because its not fair to the animaals that are fed to them, and I would never be a murderer.) I dont care if reptiles have to eat. If they were in the wild I'd have no problem with it but your house isn't the wild. The rodents are thrown in a tank with no way of escape, and that is cruel.

Kudos to you SnakeCharmer for not feeding live. Whether you only do it for your reptiles benefit or not. At least you're not one of the idiots who like to watch death and pain.

SNAKE CHARMER
10-09-08, 09:51 pm
I'd hate to have a missing guinea pig in that house! I suppose snakes do not pose a guinea pig much more of a threat than a dog or cat though. My brother had a corn snake when he was younger. Snakes are awesome. Unfortunately, his ran away (actually slithered away). When my family moved from that house 4 years later, we found multiple shedded skins behind the 2 ton piano. It wouldn't surprise me one bit to know that snake was still alive 10 years later. Watching a snake eat a live mouse is really awesome and offers great stimulation for the snake. I do hope you give your snakes live prey (not the guinea pig please) every so often. Good luck with the continued care of your snakes, and the teaching of your mom and brother.

Some keepers do give there snakes live prey as exercise wall I use handling sessions and cage furniture to give my snakes exercise. Many things vary with each keeper there hasn't really been a study yet showing how to exercise a snake all I know is that my snakes & monitor are all healthy and thats good enough for me. Corns can live over 20yrs I wouldn't be surprised if you fount him.

SNAKE CHARMER
10-09-08, 09:57 pm
Um, I do hope you realize how sick that sounded. Watching a mouse get eaten is awesome? Why do you find that watching the death of an animal (and it being YOUR fault) amusing? It's pretty sad how many sickos there are in the world. I don't find anything about a mouse dying a painful terrfiying death "awesome".

And who he heck cares about the snakes stimulation? I sure don't. They shouldn't even BE kept as pets!

Guinea pigs are more special than a mouse or rat? I don't see how. I love of nearly all animals (I even like corn snakes but I'd nevr keep one as a pet because its not fair to the animaals that are fed to them, and I would never be a murderer.) I dont care if reptiles have to eat. If they were in the wild I'd have no problem with it but your house isn't the wild. The rodents are thrown in a tank with no way of escape, and that is cruel.

Kudos to you SnakeCharmer for not feeding live. Whether you only do it for your reptiles benefit or not. At least you're not one of the idiots who like to watch death and pain.

Some snakes will only accept live no matter what you can usually eventually find a way to get them to eat pre-killed but sometimes snakes are stuborn.Mine eat pre-killed great as for live the only problem I have with it is when the owner leaves the snake unsupervised in which case the rodent could harm the snake or worse I don't have a problem with anyone feeding live aslong as its done correctly.

Taboo
10-09-08, 10:04 pm
Some snakes will only accept live no matter what you can usually eventually find a way to get them to eat pre-killed but sometimes snakes are stuborn.Mine eat pre-killed great as for live the only problem I have with it is when the owner leaves the snake unsupervised in which case the rodent could harm the snake or worse I don't have a problem with anyone feeding live aslong as its done correctly.

I know that. But I think its stupid. I also think alot of the time people (especially stupid teen age boys) want to see the animal get eaten because they think its 'cool'. I think that reptiles (not including egg, insect, or fish eating reptiles) should be in the wild. They NEVER should've been made pets. But stupid humans have made them pets so the next step is for people to stop BUYING them, but to adopt (the ones already owned as pets cant be released). That way the demand for them will grow less and less and one day none will be pets and they;ll all be in the wild where they truly belong.

SNAKE CHARMER
10-09-08, 10:09 pm
I know that. But I think its stupid. I also think alot of the time people (especially stupid teen age boys) want to see the animal get eaten because they think its 'cool'. I think that reptiles (not including egg, insect, or fish eating reptiles) should be in the wild. They NEVER should've been made pets. But stupid humans have made them pets so the next step is for people to stop BUYING them, but to adopt (the ones already owned as pets cant be released). That way the demand for them will grow less and less and one day none will be pets and they;ll all be in the wild where they truly belong.

The reptile pet trade is a huge part of the economy if we stop keeping reptiles then one many would have to give up what they love doing I've already had this argument with you two they'll kill more reptiles for the skin trade to make up for the pet trade. Theres nothing wrong with keeping reptiles if you do your research and know what your getting into.

Taboo
10-09-08, 10:15 pm
Uh.. I don't care about that. I care for the animals, not the people who have to give up what they love doing. I can appreicate other people's hobbies and such, but not when it involves cruelty to animals. And you can't tell me it isn't cruel.

SNAKE CHARMER
10-09-08, 10:20 pm
Uh.. I don't care about that. I care for the animals, not the people who have to give up what they love doing. I can appreicate other people's hobbies and such, but not when it involves cruelty to animals. And you can't tell me it isn't cruel.

What do you mean I already mentioned many feed pre-killed and theres alot of dedicated reptile keepers out there.

crazywiggy
10-10-08, 01:10 am
I am a big fan of reptiles - particularly snakes, but I am so glad we don't have the "live or dead food" issue here in the UK. It is illegal to live feed any vertebrate animal.

VoodooJoint
10-10-08, 09:57 am
This thread is getting out of hand.

I have a rescue ball python who eats humanely prekilled food. She gets just as much exercise eating prekilled as she would if she ate live. She constricts and stalks it in exactly the same way as she would a live animals.

Watching an animal die is not "awesome". It's actually extremely disturbing and the people that enjoy watching animals die have something seriously wrong with their level of empathy and their moral compass.

I have never in my experience known of a reptile that would not accept pre killed meals. I have helped many people make the humane switch and 100% were successful. A dedicated owner can make it work in most cases. Yes, there are a few that will never accept prekilled but I don't believe there are very many. If it was a large percentage then a law against feeding live would not be able to exist in the UK. I don't think most people try very hard to make the switch to a humane option because they get that sick thrill of watching one animal kill another.

Most reptile keepers are not good or dedicated. They have reptiles for all the wrong reasons. Reptiles should not be available in petstores and people should need to have a special license to own them. Any breeding of these animals should be left up to trained, licenced, college educated Herpetologists, not kids or mere fanciers. More damage is done on whim breeding and the breeding of genetically poor examples of the animal in question then the poor, neglectful owners cause. Animals bought in petstore are NEVER good candidates for breeding. They are always breeder rejects that didn't make the cut to either stay in the breeding program or get sold for high prices to other experienced Herpetologists.

People need to stop treating animals like toys and they need to stop playing god with their reproduction. Just because you can breed more doesn't mean you should breed more.

katiewilson
10-10-08, 10:23 am
This thread is getting out of hand.

People need to stop treating animals like toys and they need to stop playing god with their reproduction. Just because you can breed more doesn't mean you should breed more.

I'm a little too brand new with the posting to be able to enable my "Thank you for this helpful post!" button, so I hope this will do.

I firmly believe that it is crucial for those with animals in their care to be fully aware of and educated to the ways of the bigger picture. The much, much bigger picture. There are few things more frustrating to those that work so hard to minimize animals' suffering caused by overpopulation than to see their efforts diminished by a few.

SNAKE CHARMER
10-10-08, 03:20 pm
Here we go. The pet store I go to specializes in reptiles and is very knowledgable and knows what there doing I have heard of many other independant businsses like them. There are alot of dedicated reptile owners out there I can prove it with the number of how many forums there are and how many people breed reptiles with success and have healthy animals. I would hate it for exotics to be banned from ownership there are many who have forged there life with reptiles by taking pride in there healthy and beautiful animals that they keep and/or breed also,those breeders and keepers that offer care advice to anyone who asks. I'm tired of always running into this argument can we just agree to disagree. Yes there are bad reptile owners out there but alot of us keep our animals healthy and happy just like there are bad rodent owners there always be bad pet owners whether its reptiles,fish,or rodents thats why we still need good pet owners to try and help the bad ones. By the way i've already mentioned that my sav monitor lizard eats crickets but no ones bashed me for that wonder why?(sniff sniff I smell prejudicy). All i know is I have my passion and you have yours I will not judge you because of your passion so be respectful and don't judge me because of mine I take alot of pride in the health and beauty of the animals I own and love them same with alot of other keepers. Again lets agree to disagree.

katiewilson
10-10-08, 04:28 pm
I can prove it with the number of how many forums there are and how many people breed reptiles with success and have healthy animals. I would hate it for exotics to be banned from ownership there are many who have forged there life with reptiles by taking pride in there healthy and beautiful animals that they keep and/or breed also,those breeders and keepers that offer care advice to anyone who asks.

Beyond agreeing to disagree on keeping reptiles, are you unwilling to acknowledge that, as long as pet overpopulation continues to be a problem, we should always adopt and rescue needy animals rather than contribute to the problem by buying from pet stores or breeders?

SNAKE CHARMER
10-10-08, 04:48 pm
Beyond agreeing to disagree on keeping reptiles, are you unwilling to acknowledge that, as long as pet overpopulation continues to be a problem, we should always adopt and rescue needy animals rather than contribute to the problem by buying from pet stores or breeders?

A beginner should buy from a breder or a knowegdable pet store. Now if you are experienced it is great that your willing to give that mistreated reptile a home. You need to be experienced since the adopted animal might have gotten a disease or parasite so you'll need to be able to diagnose any problems and keep the animal quarantined for awhile. I comend those out there that that take in abused,abanonded,mis treated animals. I have considered doing alittle bit if rescuing aslong as its a species i'm experienced with.

Drawingwords
10-10-08, 11:17 pm
Snake Charmer - I have a beardie and a leopard gecko myself. After going to some Audobon society meetings, it is ridiculous how many mistreated and neglected reptiles are out there. People are so educated about how many neglected dogs and cats are out there. When people don't want to care for a reptile or it gets "too big" then it's let outside to either suffer, mame indigenous animals or starve to death.

Snake cages for one, should be large enough for a snake to uncoil itself fully. Not many hobbyists are going to have this kind of structure built. Reptiles should NOT be sold as pets like Voodoo stated. By breeding them, you are contributing to them being dumped outside in the wild. Why don't you volunteer your services at a reptile rescue like this one. http://www.creatureprogram.com That way you would actually be doing good while sastifying your affection for these gorgeous animals.

SNAKE CHARMER
10-11-08, 01:32 pm
*sigh* I know that there are many bad keepers of pets(its not just reptiles)but,there are also many good keepers I would show you but,I would have to show you other forums and I don't think the mods would like also, I'd prefer to not direct to them because many of the members are very good people and don't deserve any crap. Now for the last time lets agree to disagree.

dra&pigs
10-11-08, 03:21 pm
I'm sorry to intrude, especially if this thread is calming down, but I have some things to say.

Here we go. The pet store I go to specializes in reptiles and is very knowledgable and knows what there doing.

The words "pet stores" and "very knowledgable" do not go together, no matter how much you may try to put them together. If the pet store was really so very knowledgable, then they wouldn't be selling the animals. They wouldn't be giving them away to any person who walks in and pays blank amount of money to take the poor thing home. Reptiles are not pets in the sense that they are still almost exactly the same things as their wild companions. Therefore they aren't pets, and they should not be kept (although for those of you who rescue them, they can't be released again, so kudos to you. I have two rescued leapord geckos). A pet store "specializing" in reptiles does not specialize in anything except getting people to buy them. You can't tell me I'm wrong; there is no reason that reptiles should be kept as pets, and no reason whatsoever someone should support a shop that sells them.
Snake Charmer-Where did your reptiles come from?

SNAKE CHARMER
10-11-08, 03:41 pm
I'm sorry to intrude, especially if this thread is calming down, but I have some things to say.

The words "pet stores" and "very knowledgable" do not go together, no matter how much you may try to put them together. If the pet store was really so very knowledgable, then they wouldn't be selling the animals. They wouldn't be giving them away to any person who walks in and pays blank amount of money to take the poor thing home. Reptiles are not pets in the sense that they are still almost exactly the same things as their wild companions. Therefore they aren't pets, and they should not be kept (although for those of you who rescue them, they can't be released again, so kudos to you. I have two rescued leapord geckos). A pet store "specializing" in reptiles does not specialize in anything except getting people to buy them. You can't tell me I'm wrong; there is no reason that reptiles should be kept as pets, and no reason whatsoever someone should support a shop that sells them.
Snake Charmer-Where did your reptiles come from?

My reptiles came from the pet store I mentioned the manager has a degree in biology and specalized in reptiles. The employees down there are also reptile keepers that already knew alot then the manager taught them more they sell only captive bred reptiles and will take in rescues. They breed red-tail boas,many colubrids,ball pythons,& beardies they take great care of there reptiles but,if they have a rescue that is sick then they heal it for example right now they are healing a dwarf retic that came to them with mouthrot so far the anti-biotics the managers been using is doing the trick. They do not sell a reptile to just anyone the buyer has to be willing to learn or already learned anyone buying is stuck there for 2 hours wall the manager and/or employees tell the buyer how to care for the animal. They also have set-up deals to make sure the buyer gets the set-up right. They have also taught me alot. The pet store is very knowledgable not like petco,petsmart,etc... they are good people and you will not insult them.

dra&pigs
10-11-08, 03:52 pm
I am and will insult any store who sells pets, regardless of how carefully they check their set-up, and how many hours they've spent teaching the person about the animal. Because, you know what? After all that, that animal may still live a horrible life. Just because they have the proper set-up (which can easily go unused) and they have heard about care for the reptiles does not mean that they will follow the care instructions they heard. It can go in one ear and out the other (like math class). I am not insulting the person, just their career. You cannot breed and take great care of an animal at the same time. Breeding an animal is obviously not for their gain, its for the person's. They don't have a choice about breeding. If a person puts a male and a female in the same enclosure, they will breed. Tell me how that is great care for the animal and I'll listen. Those reptiles are not in the wild and do not have the same needs as those in the wild do. They do not have any reason to breed, at all. I am not insulting the person who runs this pet store, I simply think he doesn't know any better. You could, instead of arguing, help him know better.

SNAKE CHARMER
10-11-08, 04:21 pm
Ohhh I am so tired of this argument. I go down to the pet store every weekend and about 90% of the customers come back to stock up on feeders,get advice,buy suplies,buy more animals,etc... . You guys just don't like the keeping of reptiles I will respect that it is your view and I have no right to change it but, you guys have been attacking me eversince I got here me who takes care of his animals wall my brother who doesn't take care of his animals has hardly got as much crap as I have. Can we please put this topic to rest I'm tired of putting on my battle suit everytime I come here I'm only here to get what info I need I only need one more thing answered I'll leave this site monday evening if you guys could stop this argument for that long I'd appreciate it.

dra&pigs
10-11-08, 04:25 pm
OK, I see your point. And I do support your care of your brothers animals-although I also believe that he shouldn't have any to begin with. Maybe if your brother had come onto this site instead of you, he would have gotten the crap. Who knows? I'm not attacking you about your personal care of animals, just your support of the pet store. But, I'll stop, and if you have any questions relating to cavies, you can PM me and I'll try to provide the best possible answers.

SNAKE CHARMER
10-11-08, 05:01 pm
OK, I see your point. And I do support your care of your brothers animals-although I also believe that he shouldn't have any to begin with. Maybe if your brother had come onto this site instead of you, he would have gotten the crap. Who knows? I'm not attacking you about your personal care of animals, just your support of the pet store. But, I'll stop, and if you have any questions relating to cavies, you can PM me and I'll try to provide the best possible answers.

I agree he shouldn't have any pets but,the guinea pigs here and whats done is done. I'm going to talk to my mom about it when she gets back hopefully I can convince her to find another home for the guinea pig. And thanks for stopping the argument.

dra&pigs
10-12-08, 07:44 am
Your welcome.

Bennalaya
10-13-08, 12:57 am
I'm going to talk to my mom about it when she gets back hopefully I can convince her to find another home for the guinea pig.

I think that may be for the best, for everyone involved. I mean no offense, but in order to maintain the peace with your brother, your mother has been enabling a pattern of pet neglect. We learn at a very young age how to tend to our responsibilities. For example, people who grow up in a home where pets are treated as disposable when they become messy or expensive or an inconvenience will most likely view pets in the same fashion as an adult. I love animals and dedicate a good portion of my life to helping them because I was raised in a home with parents who love animals and always took in the strays to have them spayed or neutered. Who always found a way to foster an animal in need.

I had a positive upbringing and there was always a positive overtone when dealing with the animals in our home. My parents never left an animal solely in my care. If they had and I abused that privilege by being negligent and not caring for the animal, the animal would have been removed from my care. Your mother has tried so hard to appease your brother by allowing him to take in these animals that cannot be left in the care of a child. He isn't old enough to know better. He doesn't have the financial resources to take care of animal.

The best thing in this situation would be for your brother to learn an important lesson in life - that animals need us to take care of them and when we cannot, they need to go to someone who will take care of them. And then your mother needs to put her foot down and say "no more pets until you're much older". He's learning bad habits. He has taken the animals for granted. He knows despite lack of care your mother will continue to provide him with more critters he will not properly tend to. She has to break that cycle of negative and irresponsible thinking toward animals.

SNAKE CHARMER
10-13-08, 05:50 am
Well my brother is twelve(but you wouldn't know it hes a midget)hes never done a thing responsible and causes nothing but trouble I agree he shouldn't get anymore pets. My mom hardly has any control over the brat so she'll probably give it away to petco(they aren't good with herps but rodents are sorta there speciality)wall hes at school or something.

starshine123102
10-13-08, 06:47 am
Are there any rescues, or animal shelters you can bring your piggie to instead of back to petco where her neglect (not from you but your brother) will most likely be continued by another family.

I see how much you care about your reptiles and I'm sure that if for some reason you would want them to go to a place where you know the odds of them getting a good second chance would be high.

Bringing your pig to Petco is leading your pig down a path of almost certain doom, but leaving her at a rescue (especially a guinea pig rescue if there is one nearby) will increase the chances you can give your pig the life she deserves.

dra&pigs
10-13-08, 07:06 am
Snake Charmer, please, please, please don't take her back to Petco. The same neglect poor living enviroment will most likely continue in her next home if you do. If you look in your local yellow pages, or Google it, I'm sure you'll find plenty of local shelters and rescues willing to take the pig, who will not give it to just anybody.

Edit:
Like I said in my other post, if you live within a 1-2 hour radius from my house, I will be willing to drive out to pick up the pig, I've been looking for another sow anyway.

katiewilson
10-13-08, 01:03 pm
Like I said in my other post, if you live within a 1-2 hour radius from my house, I will be willing to drive out to pick up the pig, I've been looking for another sow anyway.

Well I, for one, think that this is a pretty neat offer. What a beautiful way to bring this thread full circle, should it work out. Enthusiastic high-fives all around.

SNAKE CHARMER
10-13-08, 03:47 pm
Well it looks like i'm gonna have to stay here longer since my mom just got back. The pet store I go to might take her they have rodents but reptiles are there speciality but,they also sell dwarf hamsters,pet mice,feeder lab mice,gerbils,a few guinea pigs,and they got into breeding rabbits when they had that african rock python a couple years back. They also have sugar gliders and hedge hogs. So I might see with them I'll talk to my mom this evening.

starshine123102
10-13-08, 03:53 pm
Please don't give your piggie to your reptile store. That ensure your piggie almost certain death as some snakes next meal. Do a google search to find your nearest Human Society, Guinea Pig Rescue or Animal Shelter. But whatever you do DO NOT give her to a pet store of any sort, that's just cruel!

SNAKE CHARMER
10-13-08, 04:34 pm
Please don't give your piggie to your reptile store. That ensure your piggie almost certain death as some snakes next meal. Do a google search to find your nearest Human Society, Guinea Pig Rescue or Animal Shelter. But whatever you do DO NOT give her to a pet store of any sort, that's just cruel!

The pet store I go to is very knowledgable on mammals and reptiles. They don't throw everything that has fur in the snake cage yes they do have a few that are being stubborn and are having to feed live but they'll get them switched soon alot of them are baby snakes and its common for some babies(especialy colubrids)to be finicky eaters they also have a few customers that feed live but thats what they breed lab mice for. Anyway they'll take good care of it if they decide to take it or I can always take the guinea pig to a shelter.

starshine123102
10-13-08, 04:44 pm
As I have seen a few members have offered to take your piggie for you. Why not post a listing on this site once you get your mother's approval and do that or give to a rescue.

Enough feathers have been ruffled on this site and the last thing the members want to hear is that your are giving it to a reptile store, where even if the owner himself doesn't turn her into snake food a customer will, whether the owner knows it or not.

Your piggie stands a much better chance of having a second shot at a good life if she gets brought to a shelter than if she gets brought to a pet store of any kind. Rescues are where most experienced and responsible cavy owners search for new additions to their heards. And even though you make not like your brothers pig you certainly like her enough to keep coming to this site to make sure that while she is in your home she gets the best care possible, since your realize that after all she is a living, breathing thing and deserves love, attention and proper care like all animals.

You can also place an ad on craig's list, and you being a reptile fan, will know how to spot people buying pigs for food and can make sure she goes to a loving home.

SNAKE CHARMER
10-13-08, 05:30 pm
Well I won't always be able to tell since alot of HOT(venomouse)keepers prefer to be discreat so I won't always know but most reptile people will say whats gonna be a pet and whats gonna be food. I'll see what I can do and just for the record I may be taking care the rodent but thats just because if it dies I'll be blamed so don't think i'm just doing this for the rodent. I don't want to start an argument.

starshine123102
10-13-08, 05:34 pm
I'll see what I can do and just for the record I may be taking care the rodent but thats just because if it dies I'll be blamed so don't think i'm just doing this for the rodent

Well, if that's not the most selfish thing I've ever heard... Taking care of an animal to save yourself a scolding.

Janelle
10-13-08, 05:37 pm
Well, forbid it that we might think you're just a decent guy!

SNAKE CHARMER
10-13-08, 05:43 pm
Well, if that's not the most selfish thing I've ever heard... Taking care of an animal to save yourself a scolding.

Yeah I know pretty low but I got my own hobby of herpeculture(care of reptiles and/or amphibians)and I have my own pets to care for.

katiewilson
10-13-08, 05:44 pm
Well I won't always be able to tell since alot of HOT(venomouse)keepers prefer to be discreat so I won't always know but most reptile people will say whats gonna be a pet and whats gonna be food. I'll see what I can do and just for the record I may be taking care the rodent but thats just because if it dies I'll be blamed so don't think i'm just doing this for the rodent. I don't want to start an argument.

Ick, what was the point of that? Didn't someone politely ask you to try to stop referring to guinea pigs as "rodents," by the way, lest it offend those that love their piggies?

Should the opportunity to rehome your brother's guinea pig present itself, I can't imagine any possible reason why you wouldn't attempt to rehome her through the help of those on this site (or at least your local rescues). With people offering to pick it up themselves, you won't even have to burn a calorie to do what this site's members believe to be the right thing.

No argument necessary.

VoodooJoint
10-13-08, 05:49 pm
Okay, this has gone on long enough.

Snake Charmer doesn't care about the guinea pig. He's not going to upgrade it's care and it doesn't look like he even has an interest in placing it into a quality home--he'd rather dump it at a petstore.

I don't feel like educating someone who is completely apathetic and I don't see the point in there being any more discussion.

If someone thinks they can rescue this animal (which may or may not exist) please contact Snake Charmer through PMs.

Thread Closed.