Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Brands Oxbow timothy hay hideys

fieryone

Cavy Slave
(broken link removed)

Has anyone ordered one of these for their pigs? If so, how did they like it and how long did it last? Also, if they poop in it then is that really healthy? I'm intrigued

AnimalHouse36

Cavy Slave
I personaly haven't bought them but many people have. They don't seem to have much problem. I'd imagine they'd last a few weeks? I don't know the answer to the potty question however.

RainKindle

Cavy Slave
I found my tunnel at the humane society and it wasn't expensive.
She never ate it, but it bugged me that she would urinate in it.
I used it to stuff the bluegrass into (which is her potty area.)
I've been airing it out for the last couple weeks cause my rescue had babies, and I didn't want to put it in there with them. I have a plot to get her to not urinate in it...I plan on putting a piece of fleece on the bottom and she can use it as a hidey or a bed. It's very durable. I like it; I just don't like it as a potty. I plan on reintroducing it when I build her the next oversized cage, which will be this weekend, (when I remove her boys.)

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
My pigs loved the basket.

Res Judicata

Cavy Slave
And there's really not much you can do about where they potty, unfortunately. With anything. I know I can clean my hayloft on a daily basis, but that does not guarantee that they're not going to eat stuff they've pottied on occasionally. Is it possible to cut the bottom off so that it sits on your bedding, which is easier to clean than woven hay?

RainKindle

Cavy Slave
The structure just would not be very sturdy. It could be done, but I wouldn't. They really enjoy those things, but mine don't really eat it. They go after their bluegrass from kleenmama's. It is more just a potty annoyance, but I am plotting to run fleece through the tunnel and see what happens.

Bennalaya

Cavy Slave
Surprisingly enough, Abby never stays in hers long enough to pee in it. She does drop poops in there, but I just take it outside and give it a good shake. Abby only nibbles around the edges of the entrance to her timothy bungalow. She never actually gets inside and eats the hay. She much prefers the cluster of timothy hay and orchard grass in her hay rack.

bluezee

Cavy Slave
I don't have that one, but I do have a sisle tube that mine LOVE to eat. I have to watch it carefully because they have shewed enough that the support twigs stick out and can poke them. I just trim them down and put it back in.

werevamper

Cavy Slave
I have the basket/bed and they really like it. At first, I had it flipped so it could be used as a bed but they kept flipping it over and started to pee and poop on it. Now I just use it as a hidey house. I just had to weave a twist-tie around the back and connect it to a grid to make it stay put.

It doesn't look like they'd be able to fit, but they just flip it up a little and don't seem to mind the tight squeeze. It's actually become a favorite hangout place that they fight over sometimes.

They not only hide in it, they also jump on it (but don't pee on it) and chew on it. I've had it for a month now and it doesn't even look like they eaten any.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.