Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New to the Forum, but not Cavies

TEStrock25

Cavy Slave
Hello to all! I discovered this website when I was searching for better guinea pig cages on the internet. Why I never thought to look on the internet first is beyond me.:crazy: Maybe because it's just easier to go to a local petstore and buy a cage there, which is what I did when I acquired my first pair of piggies. Thank goodness I did find this site! Now I'm in the process of making a nice C & C cage for them. This cage will make it so much easier to interact with them and keep everything clean.:D

Oh, I should probably tell you my name is Tammy and I live in southeast Michigan with my husband and our mini-zoo. We are the parents of 3 dogs and a bunny. I'm also the parent of 2 hamsters, 1 degu (fostering 2 others), and 4 guinea pigs. My pigs consist of 3 females and a male. Spot and Stormy are sisters and cagemates. PeeWee has been a single since her cagemate passed earlier this year. George is a single male. I'm trying to decide whether to put all 3 girls together and get a buddy for George or get George neutered and pair him with PeeWee or put them all together (with George neutered of course). Which would be the best course of action?

I look forward to getting to know everyone and their piggies.

AnimalHouse36

Cavy Slave
Welcome to GPC!

If I were in your position, I would have geaorge nuetered and have a group intro!

Pigtures welcome!

AnimalHouse36

Cavy Slave
But, as I just saw, yo inquired about to guinea pigs up for adoption by Naturegal. Why couldn't you put your lonely female in with you rothers? Then george could be buddies with the two you inquired about.

RainKindle

Cavy Slave
Welcome!

I was laughing to myself that you could get George neutered, and put all of them together. George would have his own harem! What a lucky boy. Then you'd only have one cage to clean. (Large of course)

However if it were me, I'd be scared to neuter my boy. (Some people feel perfectly comfortable.) I'd put the three girls together and get him a friend, but I'd probably only get one friend and make the c&c 2x6 with two of everything. Boys need more space since they are so territorial.
I'd then stack the two c&c's and the girls would have 2x6 as well.
I like really big cages because not only is it healthier, but I love seeing them run laps. So entertaining!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.