Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Farm hay vs. store bought

ParanoidEv

Cavy Slave
Hello!

I was wondering which of the two is actually better. When I got my piggies from the shelter the woman there said that I shouldn't give them hay from farms because they could contain lice etc. and that isn't a good thing for the pigs ofcourse. Anyone could give me some advice on this? I now use store bought hay.

ParanoidEv

Cavy Slave
First topic and already in the wrong section! :/

Piglet

Cavy Slave
Good question. They hay found in bags is usually dust extracted, but it is also dry and brown. Hay bought from a far is fresher, cheaper (because you can buy in bales) but it can sometimes be dusty. Most people try to get farm hay though

ParanoidEv

Cavy Slave
Thanks :) My dad helps out on a farm sometimes so I could get free fresh hay, and I guess that will probably be the best for them. I'll just give them extra checks on mites and lice.

citronsoul

Cavy Slave
I thought lice & mites need live hosts to get transferred?

ParanoidEv

Cavy Slave
I don't know, I thought she gave me the right information but I am not 100% sure anymore because the piggers are also sneezing since I've got them (no draft at ALL here)and one is pregnant (she actually said there could be a small chance, but the cavy was already a fatty when I got her! They are my first pair of cavys so I didn't know a pregnant cavy from a fat one).
Oh, and I'm taking my piggers to the vet tonight, I am very curious what he will say.

ButchCJG

Cavy Slave
I am prettty sure mites & lice need a live host to transmit...

The pigs could be sneezing because of dust (from the hay, or whatever bedding you're using), or because perhaps they're getting an upper respiratory infection. Do they have any boogies in their nose or goopies in their eyes? Are they playful and eating fine?

Good that you're taking them to the vet. Make sure to mention the sneezing.

ParanoidEv

Cavy Slave
They cough as well so I guess I should really take them to the vet. They have nothing unusual looking in their nose or eyes. They eat fine, but they did get more pickey, maybe I've spoiled them ;)

Katie

Cavy Slave
Hay mites do not need a host other than hay. Hay mites live on the tips of the cavies hairs. However, they can also come in on store bought hay. Hay is hay, not matter where it comes from. Some hay (store bought) is just more expensive than others because they are bagged with the company name and logo.

I always buy farm hay. I have never had any problems with hay mites.

John4216

Cavy Slave
Farm hay is much better priced and there is a few things to check for when you get it...make sure the hay has not gotten wet/rained on...try to get 2nd cutting if your getting timothy hay...grass hay is ok also...dont get straw. Here is a nice links about hay also

https://guinealynx.info/hay.html
(broken link removed)

phantac

Cavy Slave
there is no comparison between pet store hay and farm hay. I have been buying the pet store hay and after reading postings on the internet decided to try hay from a farm. what a difference. Farm hay is lush and green and soft compared to the pet store hay is gray and feels like straw. The piggies love it, they cant get enough of it. Ive become a slave to this hay. Also you can buy a large amount from the farms.

ParanoidEv

Cavy Slave
Ok instead of just choosing between the two I will defenetly look hard for good farm hay now!

I took my piggies to the vet and they now have anti-biotics against the coughing and they should be better soon! He also did a good check-up :)
It's not a nice thing to give them the stuff, I have to force them to put it in their mouth once a day for 7 days and that will defenetly not stimulate the bonding.. Oh well, health first!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.