Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

weight loss sickly wheek! HELP!

AnimalHouse36

Cavy Slave
When feeding Mickey and Riley their dinner, Rileys wheek sounded, well nasty! It was cut of and just sounded sickly. This had happened before but when I went through the second round to make them wheek, it happened again, and again. I was immiediatly worried. It sounded like she had something stuck in her throte.

I picked her up (after an expected chase) and weighed her. Her usual weight was 2.3. Weight now? 2.1. I don't know what to do! I fed her a grape this morning as a treat but she'd had it before. She dug at it! I haven't wwighted Mickey yet though.

Last month I changed around their eating schueule. A small lettuce sald in the morning, fresh hay all day, at seven they get their huge salad. Lettuce cilatnro ect. ect. I've weighed her since the change and was normal.

WHAT SHOULD I DO!

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
1. Calm down and don't shout. (posting sentences in all capital letters is considered shouting).

2. Monitor and weigh daily for the next few days.

3. Observe for signs like crusty eyes, nose or mouth. Drooling, lethargy, decreased appetite, runny nose, difficulty breathing or making strange noises while breathing, sneezing and coughing.

AnimalHouse36

Cavy Slave
ok thamk you! I didn't klnow that was considered shouting. I was just trying to get some attention. What could it be? I weighed her sister and she was at her normal weight?

Last edited:

Janelle

Cavy Slave
Oh, I hope she's okay. It's amazing how these little guys can panic us! Keep us posted on how she's doing.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
Are you weighing her daily? If not you might want to, and also if you see any of the signs Ly mentioned, get her to a vet.

terramama

Cavy Slave
I can't offer any advice(still a novice here) but I can wish good luck and hope that your piggie gets better(or better- that there is nothing wrong at all).

AnimalHouse36

Cavy Slave
I just weighed her again. They haven't had their main mela yet, but her sister was still above her in weight. It's still 2.1 while her sister is 2.25. Should I weigh them again after their meal? I'm so worried. I don't have an electric scale so I don't kn ow the exact weight loss. SHould I go out and buy one when I can? I haven't mnoticed any other sign, but I haveb't monitered her eating. I'm feeding them soon, should I feed her her half in my lap to make sure she's eating the right amount? Thank you eveyrone for the advice, and encouragement.

One more thing, I haven't heard her wheek like that again. But I haven't been home much today. I'm just about to feed them now so I'll say how that goes!

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.