Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New Cavy Owner in MD

Cherrbear71

Cavy Slave
Hello!

My name is Cherie and I am in the Baltimore area. I am a stay at home mother of a three year old. We are brand new owners of a 4 month old guinea pig...as a matter of fact we picked her up yesterday.

She is adorable! I am not sure why I waited until now to own my first guinea pig, but we should have done this a long time ago! She is dark brown and tan, with a white band around her middle. We've named her Cookie becasue she reminds me of one of those soft, creme filled cookies!lol

I have a couple of questions...1) We had her wrapped up in a towel earlier today and she started nibbling on it. SHe actually got a thread loose and I got it away from her before she could eat it. If she were to actually eat a piece of string, would it hurt her? I am thinking that can't be good for her intestines...2) She has bald spots behind her ears. Is this normal? Does this mean she might have a mite problem?

She is still a little skittish. When she is in her cage she just sits in her pigloo. She is active when we have her out. Is that normal for the first few days? Right now she is in a store bought cage, but I plan to buy a C&C cage for her as early as next week.

Thanks for reading my post, and thank you in advance for answering my questions. I've been lurking for a couple of weeks and it seems like there are a lot of really nice people here. I am looking forward to chatting with you all for years to come! :) Oh, and as soon as I figure out how to post pictures of Cookie I will!

AnimalHouse36

Cavy Slave
Welcome to GPC!

Nibbling is a way guinea pigs investigate things! However yes, if she did eat it it most likely could cause problems.

The bald spots behind the ears are perfecly normal!

Give her time to settle in to her new surroundings. The quickest way to a guinea pigs heart are VEGGIES!

I'm glad you plan to buy her a C&C. Do you plan on getting her a buddy? Where did you get cookie from? If you do get her a buddy be sure to adopt!

www.petfinder.com has many adoptable animals.

Cherrbear71

Cavy Slave
Whew! Thanks! I am glad the bald spots are normal! I will watch her closely when she is in her towel. The string scared me because it happened quick!

We got Cookie from a lady on Craigs List who was rehoming her. No one ever tells the whole truth as to why they are rehoming their pets, but apparently they had a male guinea pig, and adopted the female a couple of weeks ago. They decided soon after that they just wanted one after all and put Cookie up for adoption. I am glad they did, actually! If they hadn't we would never have known her, and would have missed out!

Yes, I plan to get her a buddy as soon. Maybe in another two or three weeks...just enough time to convince hubby we need another one! And yes, I will probably get the second one from a shelter or a rescue. I never realized until now how many homeless piggies there were out there!

She's not really into veggies at this point, but loves her hay! I also need to find good pellets for her. The lady that had her was feeding her the stuff from Wal-Mart, which I gather is not good. So we will be changing that too!

Thanks for responding to my post!

AnimalHouse36

Cavy Slave
Did she house the maile and female together? She culd very likely be pregnant!

As for the veggies, mine LOVE cilantro, peppers (high in vit. c) and carrots. ONly feed them carrots as a treat though as they don't have much nutritional value.

Check out the nutrtion sticky, to get more ideas. Just be sure to intoduce them in small amounts.

Oxbow is a good pellet to feed but Kleen Mama's is great.

dra&pigs

Cavy Slave
Hey, welcome to GPC! Cookie sounds adorable. The nutrition sticky at the top of the Diet and Nutrition forum is great for all different kinds of veggies, and the proper amounts. As for hay/pellets, like animalhouse36 said, Oxbow or Sweet Meadow is very good, but if you want the best, go for Kleen Mama's. I feed Oxbow, hay and pellets, and my pigs love it.

Cherrbear71

Cavy Slave
Hmmmm...from what I gather, they were in two seperate cages. They had two cages for the male, one in the living room and one in the bedroom of their little girl. When they got Cookie they immediately realized it could be a female from the way their male was acting. I'm not sure how long Cookie stayed in the cage with the male, if at all, so you may be right. Thanks for bringing up that point. I hadn't thought about it!

Yes, I've been reading the threads on nutrition and will introduce some of these things slowly. Thanks for the pellets recommendation! And thank you for the welcome!

Cherrbear71

Cavy Slave
Thank you dra&pigs! Can I order either one of these online?

dra&pigs

Cavy Slave
Yup, all three of the pellets are available online...I've got to get off right now, but I'll be back later to post the links to the sites for you.

AnimalHouse36

Cavy Slave
This is Kleenmama: (broken link removed)

Oxbow: (broken link removed)

Sweet Meadow: (broken link removed)

Guinea pigs under 6 months of age should either be fed an alfalfa based pellet, or alfalfa hay.

Sorry Dra&pigs I kind of beat you to it!

Cherrbear71

Cavy Slave
Thank you animalhouse36! I'll check these out today!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.