PDA

View Full Version : Carefresh no longer available?

Bennalaya
09-24-08, 01:27 pm
I've been working with the owner of my local ma and pa feed store, trying to get him to order some of the better quality small animal products. Right now they carry Kaytee and Nature's Promise exclusively. They told me if I brought in the bag wrapper for my Carefresh that they could try and order it for me.

I called him today to inquire about the status of the order and he told me that the Absorbent company is no longer allowing new accounts. The rep for Absorbent said that once the stores are depleted of their Carefresh inventory that was it, it would no longer be available.

Has anyone heard anything about this? I'm not certain if the guy at the feed store was giving me a line because he didn't want to have to order in bulk, or if Carefresh really is about to be no more.

AnimalHouse36
09-24-08, 01:35 pm
I don't think thats true. I wouldn't beleive anything pet stores say. I find Ma and Pop stores the worst. They think they know everything. The person was probably to lazy to do anything.

Bennalaya
09-24-08, 01:40 pm
I don't think thats true. I wouldn't beleive anything pet stores say. I find Ma and Pop stores the worst. They think they know everything. The person was probably to lazy to do anything.

That's true about pet stores, but this is a local feed store. They sell horse feed and dog food and whatnot. They don't sell animals, which is why I'm wondering about the validity of the story. I've known these people a long time, as I used to purchase horse feed from them when I had my horse. They're super nice folks, which is why I would prefer supporting local business rather than having to order online all the time (because I refuse to shop in the pet stores).

If it is true, I'm going to have to go back to square one in terms of what to fill Abby's kitchen area with.

AnimalHouse36
09-24-08, 01:56 pm
Well, that blew up in my face! :) Sometimes I buy Cavy CComfort Super Soft Bedding. Its by Kaytee but supported by Animal Planet. WHich doesn't mean much. It's a little dusty but really good. It just doesn't hide there business very well. I get it at target. I just went on a 20 minute web search to find it with no luck.

RainKindle
09-24-08, 01:57 pm
A company that is doing so well would unlikely stop manufacturing.

http://www.absorbent.com/NewsPDF/Q2-2009.pdf

Bennalaya
09-24-08, 02:34 pm

http://www.absorbent.com/NewsPDF/Q2-2009.pdf

I saw that as well. I went to the Absorbent site after I got off the phone with the owner of the feed store hoping they would have latest company news and I saw that financial report. Perhaps they aren't offering accounts to smaller clients? I don't know. Either way my local feed store won't be selling the Carefresh which puts me in a bind. It's costing me a fortune to order it off of Amazon and have it shipped. Today I placed an order with Oxbow and went ahead and ordered a bag of the Eco-Straw, but it didn't get great reviews here.

I'm going to check my local Target and see if they carry the Cozy Comfort if the Eco-Straw doesn't pan out.

AnimalHouse36
09-24-08, 02:40 pm
I wouldn't use eco straw or whatever it is. If that is a bedding anyway. Straw isn't absorbant and could easily poke out a guinea pigs eye.

Edited to add: I just looked it up. It doesn't look very comfy.

Bennalaya
09-24-08, 02:46 pm
I wouldn't use eco straw or whatever it is. If that is a bedding anyway. Straw isn't absorbant and could easily poke out a guinea pigs eye.

Edited to add: I just looked it up. It doesn't look very comfy.

It definitely doesn't look comfy. Fortunately Abby sleeps on fleece and only uses her litter box to munch on some hay and go potty. I do know that it's a safe alternative to the shredded/recycled paper type bedding, but most don't prefer it over Carefresh. I'm definitely going to look into the Cozy Comfort.

Noodles
09-24-08, 03:17 pm

I completely agree. Carefresh has too much of a good thing going. They're reccommended by anyone and everyone out there and they continue to be possibly the most popular bedding around despite their ridiculous prices. There's no way their done manufacturing.

RainKindle
09-24-08, 03:48 pm
I'm definitely going to look into the Cozy Comfort.
If that is that generic to carefresh that I used it was terrible.
It says "virtually dust free" on the bag.
LIARS.
Gah, my poor girl kept sneezing every time I spot cleaned or switched the stuff.
I got rid of it, and no more sneezies.

DinnyPids
09-24-08, 07:48 pm
Have you considered making your own carefresh? Someone posted a link on how to make it somewhere around here. Basically, you shred some newspaper, slosh it around in some soapy water, drain, squeeze out the excess water and set it out to dry. I tried it out and it worked like a charm. My first batch of homemade carefresh came out a bit coarse. I think it was because I shredded several sheets of newspaper together and it stayed clumped together when I washed and dried it. The next time I make it, I'm going to make sure I separate the layers of newspaper before washing it. I bet it'll come out a whole lot softer. It takes a little bit of time to do all this, but I think it's well worth it when you consider the cost of buying it from the store- it's so expensive!

RainKindle
09-24-08, 08:51 pm
Dinny, that is a good idea.

Also, the generic stuff I used was total comfort by kaytee. I should have known, at the time. *sigh*

Bennalaya
09-24-08, 09:05 pm
Dinny that is an awesome idea! If anyone has the link or instructions handy and could post them here or shoot me a PM that would be most appreciated. I have been searching and searching, but can't find the thread. I'm a big DIY'er.

Bennalaya
09-24-08, 11:06 pm
Ah! I found the link to the site with the DIY bedding article. It was over at Guinealynx. I hope it's alright I post it here, just in case anyone else reading this is interested:

http://alliesanswers.com/tip-of-the-day/tip-of-the-day-make-your-own-kitty-litter/1044

fieryone
09-25-08, 07:55 am
Either way my local feed store won't be selling the Carefresh which puts me in a bind. It's costing me a fortune to order it off of Amazon and have it shipped.

I found a website that has Carefresh (and Oxbow products) for cheap. I ordered and it was shipped in 3 days and got to me in 1 day after it was shipped! I got two 23 liter bags of Carefresh for $7.99 each, a 40 oz bag of Oxbow timothy hay for $6.29 and a 10lb bag of Oxbow Cavy Cuisine for $10.99. (they didn't have Cavy Performance, but I have a bag of alfalfa hay for my young piggies) Shipping on 23+ lbs was only $9 and change, too. Not bad! I was just looking for inexpensive Carefresh since my Lucy is sensitive to wood shavings and the Oxbow stuff was just a bonus! Since I'm not sure if posting a link would be considered spam or not, you can send me a message if you want the link :)

Lorie.J.Call
09-25-08, 06:10 pm
It definitely doesn't look comfy. Fortunately Abby sleeps on fleece and only uses her litter box to munch on some hay and go potty. I do know that it's a safe alternative to the shredded/recycled paper type bedding, but most don't prefer it over Carefresh. I'm definitely going to look into the Cozy Comfort.

One of my two guinea pigs has long hair, so I've been experimenting with pelleted litter in their 1x2 kitchen tray; I've been using Oxbow's Eco-Straw for almost two months now. I agree with everyone that the Eco-Straw looks uncomfortable, but both of my guinea pigs have been known to nap in the kitchen tray for long periods of time, and Baudman (the long-haired one) is napping there as I write. They have fleece (on towels and mattress pads) in the rest of their 2x6 cage, as well as their 4'x4' floor-time cabana--to which they come and go as they please--yet they still frequently nap on the Eco-Straw. This is totally counterintuitive to me as a human, but I'm not the customer here.

I'm still learning how to work with the Eco-Straw, and haven't quite found my rhythm yet. The instructions on the package suggest using only 1/2" to 1", while scooping and changing as necessary. So far, that thin amount of Eco-Straw appears to be just as effective as thicker amounts of other beddings, and Baudman's ringlets are no longer turning into dreadlocks. (He had a terrible case of "bouffant butt" while we were using aspen.)

If you don't have long-haired guinea pigs, you have more options and may never need to consider pelleted litter; but if you do have long-haired guinea pigs, or were interested in trying pelleted litter, Eco-Straw is worthy of consideration.