Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

UTI and Antibiotics

staphjermz

Cavy Slave
Hi there,
i've just come home from the vet after a check up for my piggie Hamtaro. The vet thinks he may have a UTI since when they palpated his bladder he was groaning a little. They have given me Baytril to be administered to him twice daily for 14 days. Hedoes not squeal when urinate and happily runs around. Should i take the risk of giving antibiotics? i have heard some antibiotics can kill guinea pigs. Please enlighten me. thanks

linda_chicha

Cavy Slave
Baytril is not dangerous if prescribed correctly. Some pigs are intolerant to baytril though so weigh him daily and watch his eating and pooping.

I found it weird that he was diagnosed because he groaned when the vet palpated him. Are there any other symptoms? Is your vet a cavy savvy vet?

staphjermz

Cavy Slave
i thought that was weird too linda chinda. Once i heard Antibiotics i got a bit nervous. The vet said his bladder was full on palpation but felt no stones. She wanted me to give the dose and after finished antibitoics, wanted a urine sample then maybe xray.What do you define as cavy savvy? There are a few vets that only treat guinea pigs in that veterinary.

staphjermz

Cavy Slave
There are no other symptoms.I took him to the vet because i thought he may have been impacted because from behind his testicles looked big and ? weight loss. No squealing on urination and no blood on fleece. He runs happily around our room. He free ranges.

linda_chicha

Cavy Slave
Cavy Savvy means have lots of knowledge about guinea pigs and not just your normal cats and dogs vet. Is this the same vet that you took your pig last time?

Check this website for some vets that have experience with guinea pigs. www.oxbowaustralia.com

staphjermz

Cavy Slave
Yes, this is the same vet i took my other piggie. Thanks for the website. I shall look at it:)Do u think i should withold giving the antibiotics first until i get a second opinion?

PiggieMamaKelly

Cavy Slave
Usually the vet does a urine sample BEFORE the antiobiotics (and diagnosis). Kinda strange. The pig could have just been grunting because he didn't feel like being poked and prodded.

If it were my pig I would put it on white towels to check for blood in the urine. If there's no blood and he's not squeaking while peeing, I see no need for antibiotics.

And also- most of the time you wouldn't be able to "feel" stones.

Toadies

Cavy Slave
One of my boys had a UTI without blood or discomfort. The vet found it by checking a urine sample under the scope. I put my piggy in a crate lined with clean butcher (white) paper, gave him a snack and then waited. As soon as I saw urine, I drew some up in a sterile syringe and got it to the vet. It needs to be checked ASAP, under an hour is best. Put in in the fridge until you're ready to take it to the vet. The vet gave me Baytril for twice a day x 14 days.

staphjermz

Cavy Slave
I placed Hamtaro on a white towel and no blood stain or squealing. The vet did not even do a urine sample instead said they wanted a urine sample after the dose of antibiotics has been administered. I am so confused. Is there any possibility of using urine testers on guinea pigs urine. I know there are strips that test human urine to find traces of blood.

linda chicha: contacted a cavy savvy vet . Thanks for the site.

PiggieMamaKelly

Cavy Slave
If you're really concerned about it, just call the vet and say you want a urinalysis done before you start the ABs to confirm the diagnosis.

staphjermz

Cavy Slave
I was wondering has any one tried using human urine dipsticks to test guinea pig urine for UTI?

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
I'd get an x ray to rule out stones too.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.