PDA

View Full Version : Making some fleece bedding - advice

danoneil
09-19-08, 03:51 pm
I'm thinking of making some fleece bedding for my two piggies that are arriving next week.

For the fleece bit, we've found some cheap and cheerful throws from Asda, then we plan to attach a towel below and below that we've found a mattress protector with polyurethane backing which we can cut up very nicely to fit all of our fleeces - see link: Dunelm (http://www.dunelm-mill.com/product/Dunelm%20Everfresh%20WPMP/435B.htm) (http://www.dunelm-mill.com/product/Dunelm%20Everfresh%20WPMP/435B.htm)

Anyone tried anything similar or can spot anything obvious to consider before we sew all of this together?

Thanks in advance!

Bennalaya
09-19-08, 08:37 pm
Hello, Danoneil and welcome to the forum! You probably don't need to sew the layers together, unless you just really want to. I prefer to keep my fleece separate since it's easier to wash the bedding when it's in separate pieces. Less bulk than with layered pieces. I've never used a waterproof mattress pad before. I do use disposable puppy training pads. I line the bottom of the cage with those and then lay the fleece over it. It drapes over the sides of the coroplast and then I tuck it between the wall of coroplast and the wire cube panels and secure with binder clips.

If you do prefer to sew everything together, just make sure that all of the edges that will be exposed and accessible to your cavies are serged along the edges with no loose threads. Other than that I can't think of anything else. Good luck with your fleece bedding!

sammy_kaye
09-19-08, 11:40 pm
I have done what you are about to do. The only difference with mine is that I added a layer of batting for softness (I have one without batting that I use in my upper level and the pigs don't spend as much time up there when I am using that fleece pad). The only issue is the time it takes to dry. I airdry mine and it takes a couple of days, which is why I have 2 sets.

With it all sewen together it is much easier to fit into the cage. Which in turn makes cleaning the cage a lot quicker.

danoneil
09-20-08, 02:26 am
Thanks to you both for your advice. I'm from the UK and not really sure what batting is... can you explain a little please?? Also, do you use a towel as well as the batting and where does it go in the sandwich?!

Thanks.

Bennalaya
09-20-08, 12:42 pm
Thanks to you both for your advice. I'm from the UK and not really sure what batting is... can you explain a little please?? Also, do you use a towel as well as the batting and where does it go in the sandwich?!

Thanks.

Batting is usually sold as quilter's cotton or quilt batting. It's not the same as the loose, fluffy stuff you buy in bags to stuff plush toys with. It comes in a woven sheet and it's what quilters sandwich between the two quilt layers. I believe in the UK it is sold as quilter's wadding.

sammy_kaye
09-20-08, 04:41 pm
Batting is what quilters use in the middle layer of their quilts. It can also be used to stuff pillows etc. You get it from fabric shops.

My fleece pad is as follows

Fleece, batting, towel, matress protector.

I cut the batting towel and matress protector all the same size. Then the fleece slightly larger so that I could wrap it around everything and sew it together. When you look at the under side of the pad there is about a 5cm fleece over hang to help hold it all together.

The batting isn't essential, I had some left over from making cuddle cups so I used it and it seems to work well.

danoneil
09-21-08, 07:21 am
Thanks both! Very helpful info - in the end we've opted not to include batting because we think it'll be very hard to get through our old sewing machine!