PDA

View Full Version : Any guinea pig lovers in Ontario??

jennz11
01-01-05, 09:59 pm
Hey everyone!! guinea pig lovers who live in ontario post here.!.

tinkerbell
01-06-05, 07:38 pm
hi where in Ontario do you live ? I live in Tavistock - do you have any idea where that is?

jennz11
01-06-05, 09:12 pm
lol i live in windsor, and i have no clue where tavistock is lol~ Do you know where windsor is?

tinkerbell
01-06-05, 09:28 pm
Yeah i do ! i have never been there but i know where it is. It's not surprising that you don't know where Tavistock is many people don't ( unless you live here) But if you know where Stratford or Kitchener are then your close. Tavistock is right between the two. See, now you know! :) you learn something new every day

jennz11
01-06-05, 09:35 pm
I know where Kitchener is. Its not too far from Windsor, lol i hope you know where it is if you live there = P. Yep know i know where it is, you never stop learning!~

tinkerbell
01-06-05, 09:54 pm
I was wondering, i'm new to this wholeguinea pig thing and i'm getting two males on Sat. Do you have ANY advice at all about MALE piggies. I've read some where that you have to do swabbing but i haven't been avle to find out what the heck that it- any ideas?

jennz11
01-07-05, 02:38 pm
Oh well, swabbing is like getting them neutered. lol just ask your vet. But if you're getting two males then you do need swabbing because i dont think two males can mate. lol You're gonna love having guniea pigs!! lol what are you gonna name them?¿ What kind are they?¿ if you have any other questions dont be afraid to ask!! lol and post as soon as you get your piggies!!

tinkerbell
01-07-05, 05:48 pm
So then I don't need to get swabbing done? because on the website i was on the people that posted the chat said that they hated having to do the swabbing EVERY day an dthat it really smells bad and thngs like that. Well I haven't even seen them yet because i have to go to Guelph to get them- I wasn't going to go there just to see them so i hope that their cute ( their all cute thought i'm sure they will be) Any ways I'm going to name them Melmen and Joey and from what i've been told (from the girl that i'm getting them from) she says that their are long haired but are really soft.

I can't wait. I have a cat proof C&C cage but i'm still a little worried my cats getting at them. ( i have two - Nemo and Whiskers- both females adn one dog named Misty- which i know she will be okay with seeing as she loved my hamsters) What kind of shaving do you use? because i'm going to be using a mixture of Yesterdays News and Aspen shavings with a layer of newspaper on the bottom . does that sound ok? I was wondering though- are they loud at night or are they usually quite - unless they need something- because i was hopeing to have them in my room?

Any other advice would be great :) thanks so much for all your help :) if you want you can e-mail me at [email protected] And yes I know that popcorn is spelt wrong but that's the way it goes and no one else has the same thing do they LOL

Sylorna
01-09-05, 10:17 am
Hey there!
I'm from a small town called Midland. It's an exciting place...we even have a bowling alley :)
I think I know what those other people were talking about in terms of "swabbing". I have heard that many people who have males find that they get compacted with feces and have to take a q-tip to the males bum every once in awhile. I think they're more prone to it with old age, and for sure not all males have that problem. I've only had girls, so I don't know for sure, but I'm pretty positive that's what they're talking about.
Cheers,
Jess

tinkerbell
01-09-05, 12:19 pm
so then swabbing is sort of like impaction? well then i guess i don't need to worry about that yet because i just got my guinea pigs last night and they are only 11 weeks old. When i talked to the girl i was getting them from she said that they were long haired, which i didn't really want but when i saw them for the first time last night i was sooooo happy that they weren't reallly long haired but actualy they were short hair with the little swirls on them !!!!!:) i love them so much ! LOL :) But i already had a problem with them -becauce they (both male) keep "fighting" - but not really just running after each other and chattering- mostly Melmen does the chattering and Joey does the chasing- i really don't want to seperate them - so do you have any tips on what i can do ?

jennz11
01-09-05, 01:14 pm
Ya i've only had girls too. So when it comes to swabbing im clueless tinkerbell lol sorry!!! Welcome Sylorna, never heard of midland before lol but it sure sounds super exciting!! Bowling alleys! PARTY! lol anyways hmm tinkerbell i really wish i had some male piggies so i could help you out more. but you should wait before you seperate them you just got them and i think they're fighting for dominance. Give it time. If the fighting gets serious than you have no chose but to seperate them.

tinkerbell
01-09-05, 02:22 pm
so will they at some time astablish a "pecking order" or will one of them always be picked on? thank you so much foor all your help:) P.S my cats last night were checking out the cage and when they climbed on top it caved in!!!!!! :( so at 2 am this morning i was up and re-designing the cage and now i think it will hold both of my fat cats weights. But i've been having trouble with holding them- when ever i want to get near either of them, to pick them up they run all over the place and seem to hate it. also last night when my little sister and brother were holding them Melmen and Joey desided that ( and at the same time) to pee all over them :) LOL i couldn't stop laughing

Sylorna
01-09-05, 03:09 pm
Yeah, sounds like general "I'm bigger than you" stuff. My girls used to do it all the time. Unless it gets really physical (you'll know the time if it happens, fur goes flying and they turn into a moving squeeling furball) I wouldn't worry too much about it, especially since they're both young and will have time to grow together.
GP's take a little while to learn how to "hold it", I found that folding an old towel twice (so there's 4 layers) and placing it on my lap protected me from most accidents, although Elora used to like to stick her bum over the edge just to be extra annoying.
Have fun with your gents,
Jess

tinkerbell
01-10-05, 08:14 am
hey! thanks for the tips! ha i stasrted to use the towel last night and now it's a lot better. I can't belive that they are so skidish, i feel bad picking them up because they seem to really hate being picked up. they run all over the place. is this normal or is this just an individual piggie thing?

Sylorna
01-10-05, 10:52 am
hey! thanks for the tips! ha i stasrted to use the towel last night and now it's a lot better. I can't belive that they are so skidish, i feel bad picking them up because they seem to really hate being picked up. they run all over the place. is this normal or is this just an individual piggie thing?
Some piggers may be more shy than others, but in general it just takes some time for them to get used to you and being handled. Stay persistant and gentle. A treat while holding them goes a long way as well!

tinkerbell
01-10-05, 11:10 am
ok i'll do that then- not now of course because i'm school right now lol:) ( not suppost to be in any non- educational website- but the teachers don't care when your in grade 12 lol

jennz11
01-10-05, 07:25 pm
lol niice going with your cats there tink. Do you have a C & C cage?? Sorry lol but they have to fight over dominance. Ya you just got them so like i said try to give it them until they find out which is the tougher one lol. Oh my gosh tinkerbell dont feel bad. lol you're being silly = P lol They are just knew its all just that they have to get used to you and they will dont worry but it can take a while. Spend alot of time with them and they'll get used to you no problem :). Lol im in grade 9 and like all the un- educational sites are blocked. It sucks!!!

tinkerbell
01-11-05, 10:58 am
thanks for the support:) I cleaned their cage last night and i let them run around abit ( in a little cube cage so that the dog didn't get them) and when i reached down to pet them they only ran around a bit which was good. but when ever i pet Melmen he cmakes the same chattering noise that he uses on Joey- is he trying to be agreesive with me or is this like purring sort of? When ever i pet Joey he makes a little sqiuek- i don't pet them hard or anything. Yah i hate it that the schools block all the sites even if they are educational. but i'm glad that this one isn't :)

cavylover
01-12-05, 11:13 am
Im From the big city of ottawa ohhhhhhh lol.

jennz11
01-12-05, 03:25 pm
welcome cavylover. Ottawa must be exciting. : D Tink is the noise melmen is making like a purring, soft noise and does he vibrate while he does it?? because if thats the case, it means hes happy and relaxed. I think Joey just squeaks because hes a little scared. I dunno though...never encountered that problem. lol ; ) At my school like all the sites are blocked then the teachers are like you can have free time and im like and do what??! lol

tinkerbell
01-14-05, 11:19 am
welcome cavylover. Ottawa must be exciting. : D Tink is the noise melmen is making like a purring, soft noise and does he vibrate while he does it?? because if thats the case, it means hes happy and relaxed. I think Joey just squeaks because hes a little scared. I dunno though...never encountered that problem. lol ; ) At my school like all the sites are blocked then the teachers are like you can have free time and im like and do what??! lol
hi yea cavylover:)
yea the noise that he's makeing is sort of like a purr but not really, it's like the same noise when he is "talking" to joey. and he does vibrate alittle (near his bum thought:) how old are your piggies Jenn? just wondering, and how long have you had them?- i'll have had mine for a week tommorow (sat) one more thing: are they usually loud at night? because i have to put them in my room soon. thanks. I hate it when the teachers do that :)

jennz11
01-14-05, 01:58 pm
Yea then hes making his happy noise tink. : ) I've had mine for a little over 4 months now. But i've had another guinea pig before but she passed away :' ( My guinea pigs are soo loud at night lol. mine are in my room too. Guinea pigs are most active in at night and in the morning so. lol teachers stink.

tinkerbell
01-14-05, 05:05 pm
Well than i'm happy that he's making a happy nosie. so are you able to sleep at night with all the noise or do you just get used to it? i've slept in the living room ( were they are) when i had a friend over adn they weren't that bad. they were about the same as they are during the day- they have there loud times and also they are qiute at times too. i agree LOL

jennz11
01-15-05, 01:55 pm
Well ok...i have the igloo house for my guinea pigs right? so maggie puts her nose in those little things on top and pushes and moves it all over the cage and even flips it over, like bottoms up. And that can be soo annoying and noisy. So when it gets on my nerves i take the house out for the night. lol

Sylorna
01-16-05, 08:01 am
Well than i'm happy that he's making a happy nosie. so are you able to sleep at night with all the noise or do you just get used to it? i've slept in the living room ( were they are) when i had a friend over adn they weren't that bad. they were about the same as they are during the day- they have there loud times and also they are qiute at times too. i agree LOL Sometimes my girls used to be quite noisy (I keep the cage at the end of my bed), but they hardly ever bothered me. When Elora was alive she used to play with bird toys I put in their cage, liked the bell and to look at herself in the mirror. When I had them seperated with a divider, Willow used to chew on the bars (which I never understood since she'd beat Elora up once I put them together, I think she just wanted her food). Both of those are odd cases though, and I wouldn't be worried about it. If you can handle the odd "WHEEK" in the night as you roll over, I'd put them in there, mine sure were/are happier in the new spot.

tinkerbell
01-16-05, 02:25 pm
i think that they will be happier in my room to because that's were i spend most of my time. I have noticed that they are really loud ( like screaming) but then when the lights are off they are quite. also when my boys do eventually come to my room then my cats won't bother them any more and i wont have to lock them out of the livingroom. it's a win- win situation for both teams (the cats and aginst the piggers) LOL:)

gpcarman
03-28-05, 04:47 pm
Hey there!
I'm from a small town called Midland. It's an exciting place...we even have a bowling alley :)
I think I know what those other people were talking about in terms of "swabbing". I have heard that many people who have males find that they get compacted with feces and have to take a q-tip to the males bum every once in awhile. I think they're more prone to it with old age, and for sure not all males have that problem. I've only had girls, so I don't know for sure, but I'm pretty positive that's what they're talking about.
Cheers,
JessI've been to Midland before.It's pretty cool.

Sabriel
03-29-05, 02:55 pm
Wow, someone from Windsor. Though I've lived in Toronto for 3 years, I was born and raised in Winsor (and the surrounding area. Most of my family and my husband's family live in Amherstburg)

Anytime I tell people here where I'm from it turns into a geography lesson. I actually just got back from my Easter trip :)

TheAlmightyMiko
03-29-05, 04:35 pm
I'm from Toronto, too, born and raised :)
I love knowing there are so many cavy slaves near me...for such a big city, no one i know really knows about guinea pigs, so they all just think I'm crazy...haha.

cancavy
04-01-05, 06:54 pm
i'm from ontario! (and i'm new here, so hello to everyone!)

i have two cavies - both from a rescue. i also have two rabbits.

stipma
04-01-05, 08:04 pm
I'm coming to Toronto for a week this summer. My piggies are staying home =(

Devster
04-11-05, 04:21 pm
Hello, I live in Blenheim, Ontario. It's in the southern part, in Chatham-Kent. Chatham-Kent is just above Essex (which is where Windsor is) and Blenheim is directly south-east of Chatham. Blenheim is small, pop. 4600.

Well, I'm crazy about guinea pigs. I'm about to get some this week, if all goes well. I'll try to update when I get them.

jennz11
04-11-05, 04:33 pm
Welcome cancavy and devster. I live in Windsor..so not too far from you Dev :D. Wow thats a really small town devster lol. Kewl!...Yay! you must be excited about getting your piggies :D keep us posted!!

CavyAnnex
04-12-05, 01:33 pm
Hi, newbie here!

I grew up in Windsor, well St.Clair Beach. Now I live in Waterloo.

Nice to see so many people from that area :)

jennz11
04-12-05, 01:36 pm
Welcome Cavyannex!~! Thats cool that you grew up near Windsor! :D

Devster
04-12-05, 03:17 pm
Thanks, Jennz11. I have news: I should be getting my guinea pigs on Friday. I've already chose some from a local breeder. I can't think of good names, though. They are both Abyssinians. One is blond, another is brown and white.

I had a post in the testimonials and I accidently rated this site 8/10. I meant to put 10/10.

The people here are very nice. I would definetly recommend this site to all of my friends.

tinkerbell
04-12-05, 06:33 pm
Wow I live really close to you! Do you know where Tavistock is? Well that's my home town! I love it that there are so many people that live near me, maybe we should get together some time.

jennz11
04-12-05, 08:13 pm
Great Devster!! I have 2 abbysissans too!! Mine are named Maggie and Sophie!~! Ones brown, black and white, one side of her face is white and the other half black and the other one is brown and white. :D If you need us to help you with names, im sure we could come up with a few :D

ya this site roxs!! :D :D

Lol good idea Tink, lets have a party :D :P Tavistock..i've heard of it but i dont know where it is. sorry lol!~!

by the way how old is everyone here?

tinkerbell
04-13-05, 11:40 am
I turned 18 in march, how old is everyone else?

Sabriel
04-13-05, 12:34 pm
21 and my husband will be turning 21 in May.

jennz11
04-13-05, 01:33 pm
I just turned 15 on the weekend.

CavyAnnex
04-13-05, 05:03 pm
I know where Tavistock is; pretty close ;)

I turned 25 in February.

Happy Belated Birthday jennz11!

jennz11
04-14-05, 01:47 pm
Thanks CavyAnnex!! :D The big 1-5! lol

tinkerbell
04-14-05, 03:59 pm
that's cool! I think that it kind of cool that you can talk to people from all over the world and tehn there are some right next door! LOL

Devster
04-14-05, 06:16 pm
I like living in Ontario. We're having some WONDERFUL weather right now. Sorry, I would not like to say my age!

tinkerbell
04-14-05, 07:18 pm
yeah the weather is great outside. My aunt and uncle live in Alberta and their getting SNOW again right now! man that would really suck, I'd have to pull out all my winter clothes again. that's fine if you don't want to say your age, it doesn't really matter any ways really.

jennz11
04-15-05, 01:16 pm
lmao ya tinkerbell that is cool!~! good point lmao. Ya I like living in ontario too. I'm so glad its spring and im glad we aren't getting anymore snow!! ya i don't think age matters here lol.

Devster
04-15-05, 05:32 pm
I'm glad I don't live in Alberta or Saskatchewan or Labrador right now.

Anyways, I just got my guinea pigs!!! They are very happy. They are both Abyssinians. One is called Blondie. She has mostly blond fur, with a little bit of white rossettes. The other I named Cocoa. She has brown fur around her face, a little bit of white behind that, and blonde fur on his butt. They like playing "tag" in their new home!!!

jennz11
04-15-05, 09:13 pm
Ya me too lol...

aw Devster they sound adorable!! :D I like the names too!~!

tinkerbell
04-15-05, 09:35 pm
I'm sure that they are going to love being with you now! I agree with jenn- I like the names too :)

Devster
04-16-05, 06:35 am
Thank-you!

Blondie is a bit more shy than Cocoa. I'm pretty sure they're both females. But I have a question: If Blondie ever stares Cocoa in the face (on accident) Cocoa always chases her away. Cocoa also chases Blondie away from the food and water bottles. Is this normal behaviour? If not, can I stop it?

Well, anyways, thanks Tink and Jennz.

jennz11
04-16-05, 01:07 pm
Well I know one guinea pig always has to be the dominant one. But make sure that Blondie is getting food and water!! lol because if she can't then thats not good lol.

Devster
04-16-05, 01:36 pm
Okay, thanks.

It was kind of obvious which one was the "leader": Cocoa. We've put another watre bottle in their cage so they each have their own. Also, there are two food dishes now. It's just sometimes when Blondie tries to get Cocoa's food when Blondie's runs out.

jennz11
04-18-05, 05:35 pm
no problem :D im glad you found a solution.

Devster
04-23-05, 06:45 pm
Oh no....

Okay, you should know I live in Blenheim. Windsor's probably getting it, too. Getting what? you may ask. The answer:SNOW!

Right now it has snowed so much that almost all the grass is covered. About 6 centimetres of it.

I though we were done with Winter!

I just put all of my Winter stuff like snowpants and snow scrapers away, too...

Well, that's it.

onyx979
04-23-05, 07:47 pm
Hello,

I;m in Ottawa. I'm a re-newed cavey slave:)

jennz11
04-24-05, 02:56 pm
I know eh devster?!! SNOW NOW!! just when everyone thought it was safe lol. I even know people who opened their pools already. Sucks to be them lol.
its weird.

Welcome onyx!! What kind of piggies do you have?

Sabriel
04-24-05, 03:46 pm
Snow?? In Windsor?? Now?? Times are getting strange. Maybe I'll rethink my trip in May. If things keep up like this I'll have to change on the train ride down.

We just have rain up here in Toronto.

stipma
04-24-05, 03:56 pm
Hi Onyx,
I'm in Ottawa, too.

onyx979
04-25-05, 04:12 am
SNOW?!! what kind of weather is that? I have 2 piggies 1 is a reg with slightly longer hair, and i have a abbyssinion (sorry bout the spelling).

tinkerbell
04-25-05, 06:38 am
I got snow this weekend too! I thought that today might have even been a snow day becasue it was pretty bad this morning.

Like I said before, my aunte and uncle live in Alberta and once when my family and I went down in JULY, we woke up in the morning to find the ground covered in SNOW! crazy I know

A4PigHome
04-26-05, 07:12 am
We're getting flurries here now (I'm not in Ontario, but am just 3 hours south of the Ontario/Minnesota border). Did Ontario get a lot of snow this winter? We had a lot from late December through February, plus cold temps. As of the beginning of this month, we still had over 2' of snow on the ground. I was afraid it was never going to go away! Fortunately we had a spell of warm weather and some rain and it melted within a week. I'm ready for green grass and flowers! :)

I have 4 guinea pigs, obviously. Frank and Buster (named after the kids show "Koala Brothers") and Scooby Doo and Shaggy...who is currently going through pig puberty (his rumble-strutting & mounting is driving the others crazy...and me too!)

Love your Thunder Bay area! (I haven't made it any farther north yet)

jennz11
04-26-05, 03:27 pm
there is no more snow here in windsor. It was sunny yesterday and nice but today is raining. But at least theres no more snow!!

tinkerbell
04-28-05, 04:23 pm
in tavi we have had rain for the past 3 days ( I love the rain!) but now it is very sunny out but still cold. going to get wet flurries tommorow though!

Sabriel
04-28-05, 06:35 pm
It's been rainy and yucky in Toronto this week. :(

jennz11
04-28-05, 08:49 pm
Its been colder than usual around this time in Windsor but its OK. Kinda sunny :D.

by the way why are we talking about the weather??? lol ick.

tinkerbell
04-29-05, 07:28 am
I don't know? LOL kinda funny though! so any thing new going on in any ones live?

onyx979
04-29-05, 05:10 pm
Not much happening here in Ottawa, just cloudy, rainy, then sunny. mothernature is having a field day with the weather. I'm 26 and a mother of 6 kids and 3 piggies and 1 hubbie. Aswell i have 2 birds, 1 dog and 1 rat that will be going to Rainbow Bridges soon, (he's old and sick). Needless to say i have a small zoo.

tinkerbell
04-29-05, 06:10 pm
I never knew that you had 6 kids!?! are they all yours besides your one step son?

sorry if that sounds rude.

Devster
04-29-05, 08:47 pm
I cleaned my guinea pigs cage today! I know its not much, but its my first time, and its something new!

my cousins might be coming ove this weekend, although I'm not looking forward to it. Having a whiny six year old following you around every single second of the day is NOT a good weekend to me. Sigh.

tinkerbell
04-30-05, 10:53 am
I have one of those cousins too! she clinqes to me like velcrove and all thought I love her she can get to be a bit much. she's only 4/5 thought, so maybe she'll change. ( hope fully)- she's goes crazy when ever her mom says that I'm coming over to visit, now they don't tell her I'm coming over untill I get there so that she stays clam.

I loved it when I got to clean my cage for the first time, such a cool thing to do! LOL

onyx979
05-02-05, 12:00 pm
i have 2 step sons, but they live with me full time. i've known them since they were 18mnths and 3 mnths old, so i say "i have 6 kids". 4 boys and 2 girls, ages 10, 9, 9, 8, 6, and almost 4. The two youngest are the girls. No i don't have twins..haha (alot of people ask me that). I have a mixed family of full siblings and half sibling and "the sweetheart" is my son from a previous relationship.

Ok now i feel old...lol
onyx

tinkerbell
05-02-05, 04:32 pm
Oh don't feel old! You'll always be young at heart now matter the number of candles on the cake! :) Wow! I can't belive how luckey you are, to have 6 kids and still ahve time to chat online, it really is a accomplishment! way to go.

Devster
05-14-05, 08:48 pm
We got thunderstorms last night. Lots of thunder and lightning...yeah. My guine pigs got soooo scared! Every time there was thunder the piggies would scatter all over the place. I picked them up and cuddled...They calmed down after a bit.

I heard they got some tornadoes near St. Thomas or something...I don't have many details.

tinkerbell
05-14-05, 09:34 pm
we got tunder and lighting too! i love storms, any thing but tornados- they are my worst fear in the world. my gps were fine thoughout the whole storm and didn't do much more sattering then they usually do at night.

on question - do you know if mushrooms are any good for gps?

onyx979
05-16-05, 03:10 pm
Ok for all of you Ontarioians out there, I have found OXFORD hay at Ritchie Feed and Seed. I'm not sure if they have stores outside of Ottawa. a half bale costs 23.99 and they also have a store prepared and made pellet mix that costs 39.99 for 50 POUNDS!!!! The best part of all of this is they DON'T sell ANY animals.

Have a Great Day
Onyx

stipma
05-16-05, 03:24 pm
Wow Onyx, I thought I was busy with 4 kids.

Devster
05-25-05, 07:18 pm
Wow, thats cheap hay!

I don't know if mushrooms are so good for gpigs Tink, I would imagine no, but what do I know? I'd have to check...

jenkajoe
05-31-05, 08:18 am
Hey there! I am from Hamilton, ON.

Some of you might not want to hear this (as I've been yelled at in another forum) but i bought a male and a female. I have a male skinny pig, and a female short haired (don't know the breed name for her). well we were planning on getting him fixed, and we were waiting to have the funds, and well boys will be boys and she's pregnant!

After reading and talking on this site I found out that he (skinny) requires ALOT of extra care, that i was never told about when I purchased him (probably due to where I purchased him - and I regret it now but he's in my family....can't neglect him).

Elly, my female, is expecting I think 3...from what i can sorta feel...she's shorthaired, orange and white... cutest piggie ever! she seems to be doing well eating lots of fresh veggies....pelletts...and timothy Hay (which i just found out she should be eating alfalfa hay instead while pregnant).

Anyone near by to Hamilton that knows where i can take the pups, a reputible place? I am goign to be seperating the father as soon as she's having them (to ensure no more pregnancies) and then the male pups as well. Does anyone know if i can put the male pups with the father - and at what age should you seperate pups from the mother? 21days?

Jess

Lyndsay
06-02-05, 05:55 pm
Jess, the pups shouldn't stay with the father, as he will breed them as soon as you put them in together. You'll then have more piggies on the way. I understand what you mean with the getting scolded for getting a pet store piggy. Where I live no shelters deal with small animals like guinea pigs. Anyways seperate the male now, before she has the babies, cause he will breed her as soon as she has them, and then you'll have the same problem over again.

On a seperate note: I'm also from Onatio, I live in Thunder Bay, someone said soemthing about bowling ally's, well we have a couple of them, and about 100, 000 people living here as well. I have one Abasyan (sp?) guinea pig boar, named Smudgee, he'd at least got 3 different colours on him, if not more.

cavycalm
06-02-05, 06:43 pm
Swabbing means that you have to clean their butt. Their testicles can sort of get in the way of their pooping and stuff can get stuck in there. Pick up your pig and I know it sounds gross but gently spread his testiscles (which are right beside his anus). If there's anything in there you have to clean it out. I use a wet kleenex and just wipe his bum until it's clean. Little pieces of bedding can also get in there, pull it out, cause it can't be too comfortable for your pig to have shavings in his bum.

happie gurl
06-23-05, 06:23 pm
Hi jenz11 I live in windsor ontario too:P hey neighbor 0_o

jennz11
06-25-05, 10:20 am
lol howdy neighbor happie gurl :D. Whats new with everyone?!? What are you all doing for summer vacation?? ehh im soo glad skool is out!!!! =D

saleejo
06-25-05, 07:47 pm
Windsor Ontario here too:)

jennz11
06-25-05, 08:54 pm
whoa so many people from windsor!! cavycages is popular among windsorians? lol

asl happie gurl and saleejo?? I'm 15/f/windsor lol

saleejo
06-25-05, 10:55 pm
23/f/Windsor

Sabriel
06-28-05, 07:18 pm
Whoa! I leave Windsor and everybody flock there :( No wonder it's so lonely up here in the big TO.

jennz11
06-29-05, 11:03 am
hey your fault for leaving sabriel lol. but toronto is fun, theres so little to do here :(

saleejo
06-29-05, 11:22 am
yah there isn't much in the way of fun. Toronto is exciting. And the heat here right now is awful. I have to wait until just before the sun goes down to take my pigs outside for their run.

Devster
06-29-05, 12:57 pm
ya I know theres so much smog right now and its so hot that I'm scared to let my guineas outside for exercise in case of heatstroke.

Anyway, i might be thinking of getting a bigger cage for my pigs, because the one they have now is WAY too small, i can hardly fit one house in, and they both fight over it alot :)

By the way, hello, happie gurl and saleejo and sabriel. I live in Blenheim which isnt too far away from Windsor, only about fourty five minutes. About four hours from Toronto.

jennz11
06-29-05, 02:29 pm
ya I'm not gonna let my piggies suffer in this heat!! lol I don't even like going outside! Hey there is something to do tonight! Is anyone from Windsor going to the fireworks by the river tonight? I'm going! YAY! lol exciting stuff.

saleejo
06-29-05, 11:18 pm
The fireworks were great this year.

jennz11
07-04-05, 08:32 am
ya it was loud :) lol

Silver
07-07-05, 11:46 pm
Hi everyone,
I'm a new member, and was happy to find there are
few other Ontarians here. I live about 40 min.
east of Ottawa.

Looking forward to messaging with people here.

Silver

neongoby
07-09-05, 11:09 am
Free to a loving family:

2 healthy Guinea Pigs with large cage and lots of accessories!

Pick-up only in Ajax (just east of Toronto).

Please PM me if you are interested.

Thanks!

jennz11
07-17-05, 04:00 pm
Welcome silver. Look forward to messaging with you too. What piggies do you have? Neongoby I wish I lived near you, I would have definately taken your piggies!! too bad I live all the way in Windsor. : ( Hows everyone's summer going?? I just got home from a cottage we rented yesterday. It was soo much fun. It was in algonquin, only like an hour away from Ottawa silver!! lol I went horseback riding and hiking,etc. but I'm sure none of you are all that interested, so i'll stop talking now.lol

Devster
07-23-05, 07:12 pm
the fireworks were cool.

Cocoa and Blondie did the CUTEST thing yesterday! Cocoa was in the corner cleaning herself...then Blondie walks over the stares at her straight in the face...then starts cleaning herself. Cocoa jumps up in the air, and so does Blondie. Then Cocoa starts running laps around the cage, so does Blondie...then they have a race!!! its was SO cute...

dolbece98
07-23-05, 07:24 pm
My guinea pig's expecting her second litter in a week and 3 days! I can't wait.
Anyone here from Ontario?

dolbece98
07-23-05, 07:31 pm
Free to a loving family:

2 healthy Guinea Pigs with large cage and lots of accessories!

Pick-up only in Ajax (just east of Toronto).

Please PM me if you are interested.

Thanks!

For how much?, type back as soon as possible please

dolbece98
07-23-05, 07:32 pm
How many G.P's do you have Silver?

dolbece98
07-23-05, 07:37 pm
I'm terrified of horses, I guess thats why I love rodents! Sounds like a nice summer. I didn't do much. Just camping, swimming, and a G.P baby shower

dolbece98
07-24-05, 08:25 pm
Actually, I just found out she might not have any!

neongoby
07-26-05, 08:23 pm
For how much?, type back as soon as possible please

Absolutely free!

dolbece98
07-31-05, 03:01 pm
Absolutely free!
Where do you live, if its close ill go take a look, becasue im looking for more piggies., Are they females?:)

neongoby
08-03-05, 01:56 pm
Where do you live, if its close ill go take a look, becasue im looking for more piggies., Are they females?:)

It's actually my parents selling them. They live in Ajax, just east of Toronto. Please let me know if you're interested.

justgotpiggies
08-24-05, 12:25 pm
i live in tatlock ontario, out in the middle of no where.

Mallow
08-26-05, 10:16 am
LOL
I'm from a little place called Bancroft.. it's a major tourist town and there's nothing to do... sooo boring.

justgotpiggies
08-26-05, 12:29 pm
i hear ya. i spend most of my time cutting our grass and playing with pets...all other time i am working in ottawa.

happie gurl
08-28-05, 01:54 pm
Im in windsor! ^_^

justgotpiggies
08-30-05, 05:25 am
wow windsor, thats quite the distance from me.

2boyz2luv
08-31-05, 10:07 am
Hellooooo...... If there's room for one more in here. :silly:

I live in Oshawa. At the moment. Moving to Bowmanville in 4 weeks. HOORAH! But I am about 25 minutes outside of Toronto - on the East side.
Have you all heard of Pignics? I keep reading about them in the U.S. I would love to have one. NONE of my friends "get" the Ginny Pig thing. They're :crazy:

Anyway. Just wanted to say HEllooooo!
Cathy :cheerful:
aka-Mum of Jack & Charlie

Sabriel
08-31-05, 12:25 pm
I'd like to have a pignic here too. Maybe we should start a GTA pignic. they banned the use of pesticides in Toronto, so hopefully that means the parks too.

2boyz2luv
08-31-05, 12:29 pm
I'd like to have a pignic here too. Maybe we should start a GTA pignic. they banned the use of pesticides in Toronto, so hopefully that means the parks too.

I'd freakin hope so.
Pretty funny how there are quite a few of us on here.. and over on the GL as well. ;) My name over there is boring though. My actualy name.. as opposed to a fun one like i use here. I didn't know any better when i signed up for GL.
Do you think there's still time to have a Pignic this year? I know.. it's only Sept.

Sabriel
08-31-05, 08:07 pm
My full handle didn't fit on here. I was one character short. I use the same avatar as well so it's easy for people to reconise me on whatever guinea pig boards I post on. I use the same name of everything that I can (e-mail, boards, etc.)

Are you up to planning a pignic? I can help, but my life is too hectic to actually start one from scratch.

Pyromy
08-31-05, 09:12 pm
Hey guys!

I'm going to school in Toronto, and going to be getting my piggies by the end of September if I can. I want to adopt from the THS, or the TSPCA, has anyone done this before? What can I expect?

2boyz2luv
09-01-05, 07:11 am
Sabriel - I'd totally be up to it.. if I weren't planning a move in 4 weeks. Hmmm.... we are supposed to get unseasonable warm weather into November.. what about in later October. Early November?

ps- i go by cathmiller over on the other site. :)

Pyromy - I adopted a pig from the North York SPCA. He's great. Love him to bits. But he was being fostered by a woman who rubbed me the wrong way. Make sure you get your new piggers checked out by a good vet who has cavy experience. There are likely recommendations on this site somewhere. Or I'm sure a few folks can suggest vets in the area. I know Dr. Samantha Mun is the top doc for pigs out this way. She's in Scarborough. Welcome to the site. You should also check out GuineaLynx. Great site too!

Sabriel
09-01-05, 12:32 pm
I guessed you were cathmiller when you posted about the coro. I think we should wait untill next year to have a pignic. I think the spring woul be a better time, when the grass is young and green. Less leaves on the ground too.

Pyromy- Make sure you sex your piggie when you get home. I got a missexed baby boar from the THS. Other then that I hope you find a cutie. Don't go by what the website has listed, it doesn't get updated properly.

2boyz2luv
09-01-05, 01:01 pm
Sab.. spring sounds just fina and dandy to me.. So i'll just keep it in the back of my mind to start the planning in late winter.. so that everyone has lots of notice for a date. :)should be fun. oodles of pigs nibblin on grass and wheek, wheek, wheeking like mad. I love it!:cheerful:

CavyAnnex
09-02-05, 10:24 am
Ooooooh, can I come too? I'm in Waterloo, but definitely willing to drive to the GTA for a pignic!! I'm more than willing to help out with the organizing!

2boyz2luv
09-02-05, 11:26 am
Ooooooh, can I come too? I'm in Waterloo, but definitely willing to drive to the GTA for a pignic!! I'm more than willing to help out with the organizing!

Heck Ya you can! It'll be a big ol Ontario pignic! We're going to save it for the spring.. But I will fire out a post here and on GL to see who's interested and where they are. Hopefully I can find a locale that's good for everyone.
HOORAH FOR THE PIGNIC! :cheerful:

YK Shepherd
09-30-05, 06:14 pm
I live in Bourget! Most of you Ottawa folks ought to know where that is but for the rest it is about 40 mins east of Ottawa.

Devster
10-02-05, 07:49 am
sorry to ask, but what's a pignic?:confused: I think I might've heard of them before, have a picnic, except bring guinea pigs with you???

My guinea pigs need some friends....they are so lonely, just the two of them...soon we are renovating their cage and getting 1 or 2 more pigs so they can have some friends!lol

Sabriel
10-02-05, 09:27 am
Yup, a pignic is when a group of cavy slaves gets together at a park with some grids and plunks thier pigs down for some fun, sun, grass and socialization.

futureguineamom
10-04-05, 08:00 pm
Hey, I'm from Stratford! It's not very exciting here. Anyway, I'm adopting a guinea pig soon! They named her Gwyneth, but I don't really like it. Maybe I can change it.. hm..

Anyway, I'm new to the site, feel free to send me a message!

justgotpiggies
10-05-05, 08:38 am
i think gwyneth is a nice name for the little one

YK Shepherd
10-13-05, 07:49 am
Hey, I'm from Stratford! It's not very exciting here. Anyway, I'm adopting a guinea pig soon! They named her Gwyneth, but I don't really like it. Maybe I can change it.. hm..

Anyway, I'm new to the site, feel free to send me a message!

I ahve a very good friend who lives in Stratford but she is a german shepherd person. Lisa Evans! Great person! Anyway welcome!

futureguineamom
10-18-05, 09:02 pm
It's been a while sine I posted on this specific thread, but it seems so dead right now! So, a pignic sounds exciting! I had a question but I can't remember. However, if anybody knows of any female or neutered male pigs up for adoption in the stratford/woodstock/St. mary's area that would be helpful for getting my Malaika a friend. That is what I re-named her. Malaika is an African name that means "angel." We are coming along okay, she did the sweetest little thing today. :)

2boyz2luv
10-20-05, 01:24 pm
futureguineamom- check out www.petfinder.com (http://www.petfinder.com/)
Do a search for Ontario. You should EASILY be able to find a friend for Malika in your area.
Plans for the pignic will certainly begin.. after Christmas. :)

Good luck with the hunt for a pal!
:cheerful:

fuzypeaches
10-23-05, 10:45 am
Hey I'm in Ontario too, but farther south than all of you!Close to Windsor...which is about 2 hours away from Toronto. Just thought I'd add my self to the Ontario group too! ;)

fuzypeaches
10-23-05, 10:47 am
anyone know of a place near Windsor where I can adopt a guinea pig from??

Lorelei
10-27-05, 04:10 am
http://www.windsorhumane.org/

There you go, fuzypeaches! My great grandmother and grandfather used to live in that area ^_^. Of course they're both passed on now </rambling>

Devster
11-05-05, 01:18 pm
Hi! Check out my website at www.guineapigpics.piczo.com (http://www.guineapigpics.piczo.com) . It's not very good so far, I started it Thursday. But soon it will be crawling with guinea pig stuff! It's updated every Friday.

pink_cottonball
11-26-05, 02:13 pm
Hey! I live a little away from Windsor....It would be cool if we could all ahve a pignic... :) lol anyway, I'm adding myself to the ontarianinin group...Love my word?

Chloë-Jasmine
11-27-05, 07:15 pm
All these places are at least 3 hours away from where I live, does anyone live in or near (or even visits??) North Bay, Ontario? I am so lonley... I have ONE friend who has piggies and it's way to cold to have a pignic. And I do love you word pink_cottonball, I love adding extra syllables (my godness that looks spelt wrong...) and letters and sounds to words.

pigwidgeon
12-17-05, 04:07 pm
Hi I'm in Toronto. Check out the Toronto Animal Services website for great (but homeless) pigs for adoption. Only 5.75 each www.toronto.ca/animal_services (http://www.toronto.ca/animal_services) look for adoption animals and search miscellaneous or other. Thanks !:love:

Chloë-Jasmine
12-19-05, 03:29 am
5.75 is really good... especially because unlike cats and dogs, they don't need shots, tags, and it's easier not to have them fixed. I'm a little too far to consider, but next time I visit my family I will look... and I usually give in...

Devster
12-31-05, 12:20 am
We have just gotten another guinea pig a couple of days ago-Whiskers Jr.!!! You see, my grandma used to have an AWESOME guinea pig named Whiskers...hence, Whiskers Jr.!:cool:

GO GO GUINEA PIGS! YEAH!!!:crazy:

Chloë-Jasmine
01-10-06, 02:06 pm
I love naming pets after my one that have passed. For instance, I had a rat named Boo and when I got my new rats, I named one of them Oob :)

bluetuck1
01-29-06, 09:57 pm
hi, i'm from windsor and was just wondering how the guinea population was here. hope to hear soon.

bluetuck1
02-27-06, 10:00 am
I am in Windsor as well. Hope to hear from anyone else from the area that has a love of guinea's.

Dobleo
03-18-06, 07:23 am
Hi,
I am a peruvian citizen who become canadian resident last July, but I am still living in Peru, South America. Also I have a sister living in Orangeville, ONT for ten years.
Peru is one of the countries which have the most varieties of guinea pigs. Most of the people said that Peru is the country which guinea pig are from.

Oscar Osorio

Percy's Mom
03-18-06, 08:41 am
Dobleo,
Other than your introduction, brief statement about Peru, and your name, this was once again an advertisement about your "business". It has been edited as it is completely against what this forum stands for. Please do not post about it again.

tishmcc
06-02-06, 07:42 pm
I do, I live in Ontario!

jennz11
06-03-06, 09:01 am
Hi Tishmcc!

jennz11
06-03-06, 09:13 am
Wow I haven't been on here in a longg time, whats new with everyone?

Martini
06-06-06, 09:09 pm
Hey, good to see there are so many piggy lovers in Ontario!!! My two girls and i are in London!

Jewels
06-10-06, 07:45 am
Hi there Jennz! I'm in Windsor too.
I had to have one of my beloved piggies put to sleep yesterday :weepy: I cried all day long... now the other one "Tubby" is sooooo lonely. I'm looking for a little sister for Tubby. Do you know of any females that need a good home? I need to get her one today. I can't stand to see her so sad...
Jewels in Windsor

Welcome cancavy and devster. I live in Windsor..so not too far from you Dev :D. Wow thats a really small town devster lol. Kewl!...Yay! you must be excited about getting your piggies :D keep us posted!!

Rachel's Cavy Cove
06-22-06, 06:57 am
I live in Hamilton! I am currently awaiting my guinea pigs. We are surprising our son for his birthday with some new family pets. I am more excited than he is at the prospect of having our new cavies! Is there anyone else from Hamilton?

C&K
06-22-06, 08:51 am
I am!

Where are you getting them from?

Rachel's Cavy Cove
06-22-06, 09:35 am
I am getting them from my old kindergarten teacher. She lives way our past Woodstock (which is where i am from originally). She takes in pets and raises them. And the best part is that she gives them to good homes for free! I am so excited and can't wait until they come! How many piggies do you have?

C&K
06-22-06, 11:21 am
That is very exciting!

I have 3 pigs right now, I had two fosters too, but they "finally" went home after staying with me for several months with Martini!

Hamilton has a serious guinea pig problem, they are always in the shelters in danger of being euthed, I am glad to hear you are adopting! How old are they?

Rachel's Cavy Cove
06-22-06, 11:38 am
you know I have no idea how old they are. I just told her I wanted two girls and she is picking them out for me and bringing them to my moms to pick up. I will be happy to get anything. Any pig is a good pig!

C&K
06-22-06, 11:53 am
I am sure they will be real sweeties!

How many does she have? It sounds like she could use her own Petfinder link! (She isn't a Christine Crawford by any chance?)

If anything is to fall through with them, take a look at the SPCA, I know they had some girls sent up there recently, a couple real cuties too! They don't always post to the website for some reason with the pigs and other small animals.

Rachel's Cavy Cove
06-22-06, 01:44 pm
Her name is Elora Workman. I think she is about as sweet as they come. If they don't work out or if I catch GP fever I will definately look into the SPCA. You often forget they get pets other than cats and dogs.

C&K
06-22-06, 02:44 pm
or if I catch GP fever

You better be careful! It is very contagious!

Chickpea
06-24-06, 08:11 pm
I'm from Thunder Bay :). Is anyone else from Northwestern Ontario?

zapsmom
07-30-06, 08:07 pm
Hey everyone, I'm in Barrie!

bunnylover
08-27-06, 08:29 am
hello out there! i'm a guinea pig lover..an animal lover in general. I'm in the big Oshawa. I'm still learning alot about this area.I've only lived here since april. Me, my pigs, cats and rabbit and my wee hamster have moved from cornwall. That was a trip and a half! Does anyone know where i can find coroplast in this area?

Rachel's Cavy Cove
09-02-06, 08:14 am
I found that my best bet for coroplast was the home depot. It is right back in there with the plexiglass sheets. You can get the grids there too. Good luck with your hunt!

spudster
09-13-06, 12:14 pm
hey fellow canadians!
Im from Ontario...seems like quite a bunch of us! I see the Hamilton Rescue closed down, anyone know of any new rescues in our area?

AJismypiggy
10-27-06, 03:42 pm
Hi there everyone!
I live in London, Ontario. ANyone else from here?

Lyah21
12-01-06, 09:20 pm
I'm not quite in London, but 15 mins down the road in St. Thomas.

Chickpea
12-10-06, 09:36 am
Hi everyone, I'm from Thunder Bay, which I was really surprised to see someone else here was from:eye-poppi .

justakitty
01-20-07, 10:02 pm
Oshawa here... but funny enough, looking at the messages listed up above me... I'm going to London on Feb 1st for a concert so I can kinda relate to those above me too!

We recently purchased 4 female pigs, and they're the best pet we've ever had; and there's a dog, 2 birds, and a giant land snail in this house too. You can't get a more lovable little creature. Serious entertainment. And finding this site has been fantastic, since it allowed us to read a ton about pigs before we got them and it's providing an ongoing education as well!

Shera
01-23-07, 09:32 pm
I'm from Ottawa :)

adamsarmywife
04-06-08, 10:05 am
Thought I'd try and get this thread going again :cheerful:
We're from Kingston, Ontario :cool:

laylaspike
05-05-08, 02:32 pm
Im from Kignston
have 2 boys:)

hairlikeafox
05-11-08, 08:13 pm
Oshawa here... but funny enough, looking at the messages listed up above me... I'm going to London on Feb 1st for a concert so I can kinda relate to those above me too!

We recently purchased 4 female pigs, and they're the best pet we've ever had; and there's a dog, 2 birds, and a giant land snail in this house too. You can't get a more lovable little creature. Serious entertainment. And finding this site has been fantastic, since it allowed us to read a ton about pigs before we got them and it's providing an ongoing education as well!

Woah! Im from Oshawa too haha. =) Small world.

Dodge
05-11-08, 11:37 pm
I live in kitchener, ontario!!! I have 5 piggies, 3 males, 2 females. not living together.

bobbie258
07-04-08, 08:14 pm
hi there im from sarnia ontario im new here i have 1 male and 1 female sorri just got them monday this week

Morningstar
07-30-08, 02:42 pm
I live in London Ontario! :D

Angelgal
08-13-08, 02:25 pm
I'm from Belleville Ontario ... soon to be living in Kingston Ontario (college)!
No piggies at this time :( but hopefully soon.

artcgirl
12-30-08, 11:27 pm
Im from Waterloo Ontario. :)

MissSofi
01-29-09, 10:52 pm
Hey there,
I'm from London
I have 2 pretty little girl's and will soon be building then a nice big home and looking for some new friends for them.. Let me know if you know of any female piggy's that will be needing a new loving home in about a month or so:cheerful:

http://www.cavycages.com/photos/data/541/thumbs/scan0002.jpg (http://www.cavycages.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=13964)http://www.cavycages.com/photos/data/541/thumbs/scan00011.jpg (http://www.cavycages.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=13963)
These are my girls Puff & the little one Fluff

BilliesMine
01-30-09, 03:28 pm
Im in the Durham Region, also - looking to adopt a long-haired female :)

MissSofi
01-31-09, 03:12 pm
There seem to be a lot of long haired females looking for homes here in London (I just don't really want a long haired girl). Try a London Kijiji search.

banjosnotbombs
02-07-09, 05:26 pm
I'm in Cambridge!

MissSofi
02-07-09, 09:14 pm
You're quite close. :)

tidus1
03-25-09, 01:07 pm
Im in welland and cant find any piggies to adopt! its no fair.

OurPiggiesRock
04-24-09, 11:11 am
I'm from Toronto...up until a month ago...now I am in Mississauga! Hello all you fellow Ontarians!

Beahbeah
05-20-09, 06:44 pm
I'm in Guelph and have two female piggies.

BabyBellie
05-24-09, 09:35 pm
Wow I'm in Guelph too! I have 5 pigs, two boys and three girls.

crissy
05-27-09, 12:41 pm
hi every one im from cornwall ont
just got my male pigs 3 weeks ago and very addicted already
love them to bits
there names are chuch andbugzy

mybabygemma
08-17-09, 07:41 pm
hey toronto guinea pig lover here.

babybopper
08-25-09, 01:41 pm
Just saw this after I started a new thread. OOPS!! I'm from Kingston Ontario. We have three adorable males Hurley, Oreo and L.P. Quite funny how they follow 'the leader' Hurley was our first and if we pick him up and the other two are in the cage, they run all over the place like they are lost. Too funny.

We have not had trouble with three males, yet. I'm also hoping that no issues arise.

We couldn't fine coroplast, we used laminate tile under our bedding. Does anyone know if that's a problem??? It dosen't seem slippery for the guys.

YayPiggies
09-13-09, 09:17 am
Hi! I'm in mississauga. No pigs yet, but looking hopeful!