Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Moldy water bottle!??

lmarieaa

Cavy Slave
Last night i discovered the my girls water bottle had what looked like some dirt on the inside of it. I smelled the bottle and, and it smelled like dirty bathtub drain or something like pond scum. I basically freaked out, and felt so ashamed of myself for not noticing it sooner. I am very obsessive about the cleanliness of all my pets environments, so i have no idea how this one got by me.
I scrubbed out the bottle with a brush and a disinfectant, then i boiled it for about 15 minutes, then i let it dry, then i put it in the freezer and froze it for 3 or 4 hours. then i took it out and let it dry for 24 hours. i figured whatever was living in there couldnt have survived all that.
Has anyone else experienced this before? Are there are illnesses associated with this kind of thing? Do they need a vet check or anything? How can this be prevented? Does the water bottle need to be completely washed out with soap every day? Thanks everyone!

WICavy

Cavy Slave
Were you able to remove the odor? I know plastic can hold germs even after disinfecting (it's porous). If not you could consider getting a glass bottle instead; then you could wash it in the dishwasher.

An effective safe cleaner is vinegar; just be sure to rinse very well.

AnimalHouse36

Cavy Slave
OK, as for your last question, I clean mine out every other day. Since I give them fresh water everyother day. To clean it out just take a couple teaspoons of hard white rice. Put it in the empty water bottle, fill it with a bit of water, and shake. Its so easy! Then before you put there water in, make sure you get all the water out! I love this meathod! Before I knew you had to clean it out, I found like algy in it. Good thing my pigs don't drink much!

PIGGYMAMMA495

Cavy Slave
Girl, don't freak out thinking your doing something wrong, because Im a obsessive compulsive person who changes the water 2 or more times a day and I get that algae looking funk inside it to,
Not inside the whole bottle, but more or less near the lid where you screw it on. Its so nasty and smelly. So all I can think of that could be the problem is our tap water.
I went a while ago, and purchased a Culligan Man water cooler for bottled water, big blue huge bottles. SO anyways. I get super fresh cold water. But if it gets the funk in it, It has a hot water spicket to. So that water is super hot and I use vinegar with that and soak it for a little bit while I cage clean.
No matter what I do as well it does happen, however its not as bad with the bottled water. Maybe its the humid summer or something?
Or could the pigs be backwashing in it somehow? Or because the spout is low and thats where they poopie? I have no clue why that is, so kudos for bringing it up.
I hope we get a reply as to what it is.:eek:hmy:

lmarieaa

Cavy Slave
hah, me too. Yeah my bottle is plastic. The bottle doesn't have the nasty smell anymore, it disappeared after i froze it. I would have just thrown it out if it still smelled. I haven't been able to find a glass bottle large enough for my pigs. The ones I find see are hamster size. Thanks for the replies everyone. :cheerful:

PigurLuvr

Cavy Slave
I haven't been able to find a glass bottle large enough for my pigs. The ones I find see are hamster size. Thanks for the replies everyone. :cheerful:
(broken link removed)
The best purchase I ever made for my piggurs. No smell, no algae build up.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.