Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Divided Cages

makemesmile

Cavy Slave
I had to split my male pigs up recently. When I did they seemed fine they would once and a while say hello, etc. etc.

One day (I don't remember when or how long ago because all the days are running together I'm so busy!) Paris got a hold of Hilton's nose (he had a cut on it, it healed, it's fine/he's fine). Ever since than Paris has been really obsessed with the divider. So obsessed he isn't eating/drinking much. He's too focused on getting Hilton. So, tonight I dragged out my old store bought cage (It's so late, I had no other option. I feel horrible!) and put him in there.

He chews the divider. He tries to bite Hilton. I'm afraid Paris will break his teeth or get a hold of Hilton again and it'll be worse this time.

I put a piece of extra coroplast up against the grid divider. Paris chewed through it and ripped it off (was being held up with zip ties) in the matter of minutes. He has A LOT of hay. He has veggies twice a day (that he isn't interested in). He has pellets. He has H20. What is his problem?

What can I do? Does/did anyone else have this problem? I know I can just build another C&C cage but I'll have to save up some money to do this and it could take a while (I wish prices would stop going up). I don't want him living in this mini-pet store cage!

sammy_kaye

Cavy Slave
What if you used 2 grids to make a divider? If you space them a few cm apart he won't be able to reach and you won't have to make a new cage. You then could put a piece of coroplast on Hilton's side if you want a visual block as well.

makemesmile

Cavy Slave
What if you used 2 grids to make a divider? If you space them a few cm apart he won't be able to reach and you won't have to make a new cage. You then could put a piece of coroplast on Hilton's side if you want a visual block as well.

Won't him constantly pulling/tugging/chewing the grid divider hurt or break his teeth?

sammy_kaye

Cavy Slave
It could do. What about a piece of untreaded wood cable tied to the grids?

Toadies

Cavy Slave
You could try wiping the grids between the boys down with rubbing alcohol. That is a main component in Bitter Apple. You would have to do it daily for awhile, but your aggressive piggy may learn to leave ithe grids alone.

makemesmile

Cavy Slave
TOADIE: The rubbing alcohol won't hurt them? I know that guinea pigs are very sensitive to a lot of things (ie baby shampoo).

SAMMY: What is untreaded wood cable?

sammy_kaye

Cavy Slave
Sorry I meant untreated wood, cable-tied to the grids. Untreated wood is wood that hasn't had any chemicals put on it to stop it from rotting. Cable-ties are what many people use to connect their grids together instead of using the connectors provided.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.