Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Diet Pellets, Water, Veggies Question

WICavy

Cavy Slave
Hi, I've been lurky on this site for about a year now; gathering as much information as possible before deciding if guinea pigs are appropirate for my family or not.

I think that I've made this right decision (we don't have any guinea yet), but I did have a few questions first.

I understand pellets are the easiest, quickest, and most complete food. But, I read that some people don't feed them. I'm wondering if this is just a personal decision or if there is a truly, scientific benefit of such diet?

As for water, I read in a book, "Cavies can live without water or liquid of any kind if they are fed only on a diet of green vegetables. Water, as we have seen, is necessary when prepared foods are used to supplement the diet. A piece of rock salt should always be available."

I was wondering what your opinions are on this matter. Have guinea pigs been so domesticated that they cannot survive without pelts?

I also read on this site that salt licks are not necessary, but I have doubts about that as well. I thought salt was something all animals needed access to on a regular basis.

Thanks for your time and input. :D

dra&pigs

Cavy Slave
Pellets are not necessary for a pigs diet, however they are easy, reliable ways to ensure they get the stuff they need. If they don't have pellets, they need a wide variety of veggies to be given twice a day. (I think its twice). I use pellets, simply because its fast and easy. If you do decide to go with pellets-chose a good brand, or its not beneficial to them. Oxbow or KM's are the best. I've heard Sweet Meadow is ok, but I haven't tried them. I use Oxbow. So, using pellets or not is a personal decision. If your pigs have fresh water (I don't know why they said you don't need water-your book isn't very accurate), fresh veggies and (if you use them) good-quality pellets, she/he doesn't need any additional salt. You don't need a salt wheel, and they are completely useless to a pig. To sum it all up-they don't need any extra salt source, they don't need them, but pellets are good, and as a side note they need fresh veggies and hay daily.

PrayerWarrior

Cavy Slave
Pellets are not the easiest, cheapest, most complete food. They are only a part of it, and the smallest part of the diet. That's why some people leave it out, though that's dangerous and very hard to make sure they're getting the vitamin C they need. They should get 1/8 a cup of quality pellets (Oxbow or Kleenmama) everyday.

Um, yes, they need water. Obviously that is a very outdated, incorrect book. They need fresh, clean water everyday, and unlimited amounts. Some pigs don't drink as much because they get most of their water from their veggies, but two of mine drink *nonstop.* They would be dehydrated if they didn't have water.

Salt licks and mineral wheels are completely unnecessary. If they're not getting the salt and minerals from a balanced diet of hay, pellets, and veggies, then something is terribly wrong. Most of them won't even touch it, anyway.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Books are usually wrong and out of date.

Refer to www.guinealynx.info if you have any questions.

buttons

Cavy Slave
I've actually read on this site and guinea pig fun website (which is also very accurate) that if a guinea pig doesn't have access to water that they will not eat anything.
Which is of course, very dangerous...so please make sure to give them water.

And well salt licks - they're basically junk...guinea pigs don't use them if they are getting all of their nutrients from veggies etc...and I believe that they are not really that healthy either.

I don't feed pellets, but that is really only because I can't find any good pellets in my area at the moment, I think that pellets are important, but that veggies are more important and should came up the core of the diet.

WICavy

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the info. everyone. I wasn't considering not giving my guinea pigs water; just wondering if anyone else had heard of such a thing. I know there are animals in the wild that require little to no water, but they're typically from the desert, not South America.

I do have another guestion though; does anyone use a gravity feeder (like the kind used for rabbits) and are the safe? Obviously I know you can't just let them have unlimited access to pellets, because of weight gain issues. But, I thought it would provide more cage space and keep them from tipping over their pellets.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
Personally, I wouldn't use a gravity feeder. I wish I could find you a link, but I've seen stories of several instances where a guinea pig got a paw caught when standing up to eat out of a gravity feeder.

A salt or mineral wheel is completely non-necessary. The sodium, iodine, and other minerals can only contribute to stones and other health issues. It's really just giving junk food to your pig.

As far as cutting out pellets entirely, unless you have an extremely varied and balanced vegetable selection for your pigs, it would be very difficult to get the proper nutrition for them. Try looking up information on a HAFF (hay and fresh foods) diet here or on www.guinealynx.info if you are interested. Also check the stickies at the top of the Diet and Nutrition section of the forum.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.