Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hamster cage

dagwellismypigy

Cavy Slave
(broken link removed) this is kind of the hamster version of c&c cages for piggies

My Baby Mu

Cavy Slave
Thanks Dagwell.

dagwellismypigy

Cavy Slave
no problem, what kind of hamsters do you have or are gettin?

dagwellismypigy

Cavy Slave
no problem, what kind of hamsters do you have or are gettin?

My Baby Mu

Cavy Slave
I think I am getting a dwarf.

dagwellismypigy

Cavy Slave
I want to get a pair of dwarfs

My Baby Mu

Cavy Slave
The male hamsters may fight when they get older. I think I will be getting a female dwarf or chinese hamster. One of the small ones.

My Baby Mu

Cavy Slave
I think I am actually going to use the petstore to small for a guinea pig but heaven to a hamster cage. It is about 1ft by 2ft. The minimum is 18 square inches which the one I may use is 2 square feet (about).

dagwellismypigy

Cavy Slave
they may fight but most likely wont, ive heard that in hamster females are more aggresive because they go into heat so often but if they didnt get along i would just seperate the cage "it will be a 1x2 c&c cage

Furkidsmommy

Cavy Slave
We rescued a family of baby dwarf hamsters back in 2003. (broken link removed)

Very cute little things they were to. I sexed and separated them and we ended up with 5 boys and 3 girls. Two 1 boy and 1 girl got adopted out into separate homes. We originally had the remaining six living in same sex groups and pairs but eventually had to separate everyone due to persistent fighting. And I agree the girls are more aggressive than the boys.

dagwellismypigy

Cavy Slave
wow now i feel smart! lol

Guinea pig guy
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

Furkidsmommy

Cavy Slave
I disagree about the dwarf hamsters they fight big time. I have had many dwarf hamsters over the years and I have always had to split pairs up due to fighting to the point that one would constantly get picked on and forced to hide and would not come out to eat. They are much happier on their own. Just be prepared to house them separately if this occurs. I have found that when they are babies up to two months they are fine they cuddle play etc, but when they hit 3 months all hell brakes loose. My 6 little guys are now 20 months old and going strong. I believe the average lifespan for the dwarf hamsters is around 2 to 2.5 years.

dagwellismypigy

Cavy Slave
dont chinese hamsters live longer? like three years? just wondering

Guinea pig guy

Furkidsmommy

Cavy Slave
Guinea pig guy I am not disputing what you have read and I am not trying to create conflict. I have just kept many hamsters over the years and wanted to share my experiences. Plus I thought it was best for anyone to be prepared for what might happen. I would certainly try and get a same sex pair to live together and hope it works, just be watchful incase of trouble as they get older. The bigger breeds of hamsters do live allot longer around 3 years. I think when you get any new pet it is best to educate yourself with lots of information from different sources I think that everyone will agree that the books are not always correct. I mean how many guinea pig books out there give the right information. That is why this forum is such a great thing it allows people to exchange thoughts, experiences, etc.

I love my little hammies and I think that they are wonderful little pets.

Guinea pig guy

aqh88

Cavy Slave
I know I'm 5 days late but my computer died and I've had no internet. I just wanted to say that dwarf hamsters really do better in pairs. My sister used to keep lots of dwarf hamsters and has had up to 5 in one cage for a year. I have 2 females together right now. They are slightly more agressive toward each other than gerbils but aside from a few individuals ours have always gotten along. We've had dozens of these guys. Dwarf hamsters do wrestle and play roughly together making some of the most awful screeching noises but unless it comes to blood they shouldn't be bothered. Breaking them up while they are settling an argument or playing can start some bad fights. Dwarf hamster females will even raise litters together if they are good friends. The average lifespan of most petstore dwarves is about 1-2yrs which is rather short because most poorly bred dwarves will come down with diabetes by 1yr old. Someone told me the percentage is as high as 80% will have diabetes. My sister currently has one that is nearing 3yrs old and 5yrs is the oldest I've heard of. My friend's female dwarf hamster died recently of what seems to be loneliness. Single dwarf hamsters in my experience have always been less active and somewhat lethargic compared to pairs or trios. Also the few we've kept singly have never lived past 1yr whereas the pairs haved lived at least 2. For a cage I use a rubbermaid container with the top taken off. My 2 females have the equivalent space of using a 55g aquarium.

candi

Cavy Slave
dagwellismypigy said:
they may fight but most likely wont, ive heard that in hamster females are more aggresive because they go into heat so often but if they didnt get along i would just seperate the cage "it will be a 1x2 c&c cage
Both sexes get along equally well. I've owned lots of pairs of females and male dwarf hamsters, I've never had to seperate any yet. I currently have a group of five females living together and then two groups of males with 4 in each group.

Dwarfs should at least be given the chance to live in a pair, they will sometimes play fight but if fighting becomes serious then they should be seperated then.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.