Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

How best to care for my piggies? Help please?

mummy2niamhy

Cavy Slave
Ok, I am rather nieve as I am very quickly finding out on here!

I thought a normal large cage would be fine, but after just looking at the pictures on here, it is far from fine...It'll do for the moment, but I am working on making one from here, so thank you for that.

On to my first question, I have two guinea pigs in my cage, how often should I feed them?

second question...I have a giant card board tube/tunnel thing in there and they are chewing it is that ok?..I'm guessing it is.

Thirdly, they are gnawing on their igloo is that ok? They have plenty of food, and proper things to chew on, and loads of hay, some on the floor, and some in a holder thing (which they seem to like).

Fourthly...Would they definitly not escape if ther is no top to the cage I make?

And lastly..How big ideally would my cage be (how many squares would I need)?

Thank you in advance!!!!

Bennalaya

Cavy Slave
1. You should feed them an assortment of fresh veggies and fruits (in moderation) either the recommended amount once a day, or break it down into two feedings a day. Ly&Pigs has an excellent chart listing all different types of vegetables and fruits, recommended serving size per cavy, how frequently they should eat them and their nutritional value. It can be found here:

https://www.guineapigcages.com/food/Veggie-and-Fruit-Charts.pdf

I printed it out and laminated it. It is clipped to the side of Abby's cage, so I'll know every day what I can feed her. They also need unlimited access to a high quality pellet food and grass hay, such as timothy.

2. Yes, it should be okay. In fact, some cavies express little interest in the expensive, high-quality toys placed in their cages and prefer toilet paper tubes, tissue boxes, etc.

3. Sometimes cavies nip at things to explore their surroundings and boundaries. Sometimes they do it out of boredom. So long as they aren't gnawing large pieces off of it, it should be fine. If they are supplied with a constant source or hay, they should be spending much of their foraging time with their hay rather than gnawing on the various accessories in their cage. I think once you build a bigger cage you'll notice a huge difference in the amount of time they spend chewing on their Pigloo anyway.

4. They shouldn't be able to. Cavies aren't climbers like rats and ferrets and they aren't high jumpers like rabbits. I have a closed cage for Abby, because I have cats, but my boars never had a lid on their cage and they never got out. Just make sure things like their Pigloo isn't up against the side of the cage because some cavies can get up on top of those.

5. Recommended size for two cavies is 10.5 square feet.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
The answers to all of your questions can be found by reading through the various sections of the forum and utilizing the search function at the top of the page. They have all been answered many times.

To clarify something that Bennalaya said, a guinea pig should always have unlimited grass hay, but if he or she is over 6-8 months old, you don't want to give them unlimited pellets. Once they are "adults", limiting pellets to 1/8-1/4 cup of pellets per pig per day is best.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.