Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

what veggies to feed new baby

willowfaery

Cavy Slave
So I'm expecting to get a new baby soon. She's from a neighbor's accidental litter. I will be getting her toward the end of September. By that time, she will be about 6-8 weeks old. I will do a quarantine for 3 weeks. But then I will be introducing her to my three adult sows (please pray for us lol). Since she will be in the same cage as the adult sows, I don't want to put alfalfa hay/pellets in the cage. I've heard that I can just give the baby certain veggies so that she gets the nutrition that she needs. Is it CALCIUM that she needs in higher amounts than the adults? If so, exactly what veggies, in what amounts, and how often should I hand feed them to her?

PrayerWarrior

Cavy Slave
Yes, it is calcium she'll need until about six months. You can feed her all the normal veggies, and just give a few sprigs of parsley every other day or so.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
In addition, I'd give kale a couple times per week also. Kale is great for vitamin C and calcium. I'd give about 5 sprigs of parsley one day then the next day skip then the next day do a leaf of kale then the next day skip, etc.

willowfaery

Cavy Slave
The last time I bought kale it came in a bag. It looked to be in small pieces. Have you ever seen this? Are these the leaves you speak of or are they really SMALL PIECES of the leaves? I hope that made sense. I'm just trying to get an idea on the proper amount to feed.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Kale can come pre-chopped in bags or you can buy it in a bundle of full leaves. If you get the pre-chopped, you can give 2-4 pieces per feeding. If you get the bundle, you can feed a 1/2 to a whole leaf per feeding.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.